U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 06:30 PM

36 posts, read 178,173 times

Advertisements

The only city outside of the Americas that could argue for this is London. Paris, Sydney, and Melbourne are quite diverse(i have visited each besides melbourne) but its diversity doesnt compare to the americas diversity. And Moscow may have many ethnic groups, but in the U.S. there arent any cities with a very large population that have over 50% of a certain nationality. Racially it has to be hands down northern South America. Many if not most of the people in colombia and venezuela are a mix of white(spanish), black, and amerindian. There its such a mix you cant even tell and you see people of every different, skin tone hanging around eachother. People like this are also very common in coutnries like Brazil, Puerto Rico, and Cuba. and In countries like Brazil and Peru there are also a lot of Asians(many Japanese)

As for a number of different nationalites and different types of people it would be easily New York, Los Angeles, and Toronto. runners up would be cities like Chicago, London, Vancouver, Houston, Singapore, and Jersey City. In most of these cities there isnt racial harmony and many of the minorities live in the hood. In the United States the area around the Research Triangle seemed to be very accepting of everyone and people were proud of their diversity
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 07:42 PM

406 posts, read 1,471,408 times
A lot depends on how you define diversity, but I would put Los Angeles at pretty close to the top of any list for most diverse places in the world. In the LAUSD instruction is in 92 different languages and over 225 languages are spoken at home.

In the barrios of Los Angeles you can find immigrants whose second language after their mother tongue isn't English, but Spanish. So you have this phenomon of Korean merchants who are fluent in Spanish and Korean, but can't really speak English. In the barrios of Los Angeles you can merchants with the 'se hablo inglese' signs out front, something that outside of Los Angeles, you mostly see in places like Mexico. You can find communities of Amerindian speakers among the immigrant communties from central America. For a lot of countries in central america, their immigrant communties in LA would constitute the second largest city in there home country.

You also have huge persian, thai, vietnamese, chinese, armenian, filipino communties. It tough to come up with a country that doesn't have an expatriot community in Los Angeles. You have a substantial brazilian, cuban and east asian indian communties. You have Sudanese and Ethopian communties. Its this breath and depth of these immigrant communties that is truely impressive.

I am sure that you have substantial immigrant communties in New York, Chicago and Miami as well, but I wouldn't be suprised if the immigrant communties in LA are bigger than NYC and I am pretty sure that they are bigger than Chicago or Miami.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:23 AM

1,288 posts, read 3,070,128 times
As many others have said, Londonistan.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:25 PM

1,293 posts, read 2,306,763 times
Most people that visit Paris, only go in some of the last diverse districts of the city (Eiffel tower, Louvre, Montmatre, Notre Dame, 6th arrondissement).
Paris host the largest caribbean, african, east asian and arab community in Europe.

I been in London (in the most diverse district) it is more multicultural than Paris but in an other way Paris is more multiracial.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:26 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,957,909 times
NYC, Toronto, and London are tops. There's really no disputing this fact.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:04 PM

42,661 posts, read 78,692,941 times
While it is not racially diverse, and is all Caucasian, Tel Aviv is a wonderfully varied city, Isrealis have immigraged from all over the world, and brought much of their national culture with them.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:14 AM

15 posts, read 15,024 times
Sacramento and Los Angeles (from the answers I've gotten).

Old 10-30-2008, 01:27 AM

4,126 posts, read 7,911,912 times
I think Honolulu, Hawaii is probably the most integrated city in the world. Hawaii have the highest percentage of biracial/multiracial people in the US.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:10 AM

36 posts, read 159,592 times
I think it all depends on what people think of diversity and integrated.

Personally, I'm surprised as how little times places like Amsterdam or The Hague are mentioned just as Geneva. I understand most people on these forums are born and bred in the US and travelling around the globe is not something done by the majority of US people (mainly due to the little amount of vacation days given) but the most diverse and integrated cities are to be found outside the US.

Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia is even more diverse I think than most US cities. People who believe that LA should be on top of the list only see the amount of "black" or "mexican" people living there, integrated is something completely different though.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:49 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,762,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
While it is not racially diverse, and is all Caucasian, Tel Aviv is a wonderfully varied city, Isrealis have immigraged from all over the world, and brought much of their national culture with them.
Well, there are black Jews in Tel Aviv too, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World