Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:12 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Girl View Post
On cleanliness, interesting, crime, livability, location

Stockholm, Sweden
Auckland, New Zealand
Sydney, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Glasgow, Scotland

Stockholm, Sweden. But I have never been to any of the other places
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 08:13 PM

952 posts, read 3,706,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Come on, it's more like an elderly home. Livable around Stureplan and parts of "söder" (southern inner city Stockholm).

????? All of Stockholm is liveble

Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 PM

124 posts, read 611,695 times
Thanks, I'm mostly considering Stockholm or Melbourne.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:46 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,635,158 times
It's livable. I meant to write it's not lively, which is why I compared it to an elderly home.

Sweden is good up to the age of 18, and when you're retired. It's not ideal if you want to do career. That is my opinion.

It's well known but Americans on this forum might not know how Sweden works. To understand Sweden read this funny article http://www.fika.de/typical-swede.html (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
????? All of Stockholm is liveble

Old 09-12-2008, 04:47 AM

124 posts, read 611,695 times
Right now I'm seriously considering Melbourne.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:49 AM

230 posts, read 1,035,429 times
Default Go Melbourne!!!!!!!!!!

Born and bread in Melbourne and think it's a great city!!!!!!!!!!

Friendly people, great restaurants serving every type of food you could possibly think of, best shopping scene in Australia, culture, beaches, 4 distinct seasons, great quality of life, only 4 hour flight to Barrier Reef or New Zealand, 1 hour flight to Sydney to see the harbour bridge. San Fransisco reminded us a little of Melbourne when we were there on a holiday. About to relocate to the USA with DH job so very sad to leave beautiful Melbourne!!!!!!!!

Come downunder to Oz, I'm sure you'll love it.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:03 AM

200 posts, read 1,008,478 times
Love Melbourne. Best restaurants in the world. Agree with above poster except I think you're getting a bit carried away re the beaches part. It is a wonderful city though. The most under rated city in the world. I rate it the most livable city I've been to for it's size. I like Sydney just not as much as Melbourne. I lived there for a couple of years and wouldn't want to again. It's a great place to spend a weekend though. Auckland didn't do a lot for me. NZ is probably the most beautiful country in the world but if you were going to spend 2 weeks there I wouldn't devote more than a day to Auckland to be honest. The city in Scotland you should be talking about is Edinburgh. Best city in the UK. And one of the best in Europe. A lovely place.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:10 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,019,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Girl View Post
Right now I'm seriously considering Melbourne.
You are seriously considering Melbourne for what.. to migrate or to visit? If to migrate then a whole slew of other variables need to be considered (e.g., do you qualify to migrate, are there jobs in your field, can you live on the average salary for your field...) I've met too many people who migrated to NZ or Oz with blinders on and found that things were better for them back home. Research research research is all I am saying.

Old 09-12-2008, 06:41 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsaintkilda View Post
Love Melbourne. Best restaurants in the world. Agree with above poster except I think you're getting a bit carried away re the beaches part. It is a wonderful city though. The most under rated city in the world. I rate it the most livable city I've been to for it's size. I like Sydney just not as much as Melbourne. I lived there for a couple of years and wouldn't want to again. It's a great place to spend a weekend though. Auckland didn't do a lot for me. NZ is probably the most beautiful country in the world but if you were going to spend 2 weeks there I wouldn't devote more than a day to Auckland to be honest. The city in Scotland you should be talking about is Edinburgh. Best city in the UK. And one of the best in Europe. A lovely place.
Lol along with the rest of New Zealand south of Auckland

Old 09-12-2008, 08:36 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
It's livable. I meant to write it's not lively, which is why I compared it to an elderly home.

Sweden is good up to the age of 18, and when you're retired. It's not ideal if you want to do career. That is my opinion.

It's well known but Americans on this forum might not know how Sweden works. To understand Sweden read this funny article What is a typical Swede (http://www.fika.de/typical-swede.html - broken link)
Haha! Fun article! But, uhm, I thought we LOVED queuing?

I was born in Stockholm, so I'll say... Live somewhere else. It's not THAT fun, really, but it's way better than Göteborg

It's clean, as is most of Sweden.
Interesting? Plenty of museums, which I love, but when it comes to shopping, night life and such, then not very interesting. But the rest of Europe is only a few hours away.
More crime there than in most other parts of Sweden, of course, but compared to most other cities that size... not much crime. Atleast not something the "average person" meets everyday.
I don't know what livability means, and I don't have a dictionnary here, so I will skip this one.
Location? In the middle of Sweden (almost), to the east. Built on 13 islands, so plenty of scenery if you like water. If you want to go to the rest of Europe all you have to do is fly for an hour or two or three. Many low price airlainers (or however that is spelt) fly from Arlanda and others in the area. I'd say when it comes ot location, Stockholm is the best.

I haven't been to the other cities listed, so can't say anythign about them really. Though I think Stockholm should be considered before Glasgow. Used to have a friend from there, and he said it was a very gloomy city. Maybe that's why his family moved to Stockholm...

Hope you'll like it whereever you end up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World