Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 11:44 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
You want violent, try Australia, and we don't carry (only our crims do). Just today, the newspaper reported it's safer to ride the trains in London and NYC than it is in Melbourne. I'd have to say Perth must come a close second to Melbourne in that respect.

Other violent hot-spots here - pubs and nightclubs. It's a regular thing to hear of some young man killed or in a coma after being 'King-hit' (cowardly punched) by some drunken yob. My daughter's boyfriend spent Easter weekend in the hospital, his face shattered, jaw wired, ribs cracked - for simply walking out of the club, not even looking at the ***** who bashed him & then kicked him repeatedly while he was on the ground. My own son and his friends were mugged in the city, broad daylight, street full of busy shoppers. Twice within 20 minutes.

Everyone here knows someone who's been victimised, or was a victim themselves. Our problem: not guns, but a sick joke of a "justice" system infested with do-gooders and social activists who think it's right to let scum on the streets, scum with 20, 30 or even 300 convictions.

The US gets a bad rap but I felt safer walking thru Manhattan at 2am than I do here at 2pm. You have cops all over the place. Here it's a jaw-dropping surprise event to see one.
I do think that US gun laws, Are quite odd. However, Violence isn't always connected with gun ownership! The number of "One-Punch" Deaths (Where a person is punched, Falls, Hits their head on the pavement and dies), In an Australian city, Like Perth WA. Is indeed appaling! So much so, That we had to redefine our state criminal laws, In regards to it.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 09-10-2008 at 11:55 PM..

Old 09-11-2008, 03:53 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
You want violent, try Australia, and we don't carry (only our crims do). Just today, the newspaper reported it's safer to ride the trains in London and NYC than it is in Melbourne. I'd have to say Perth must come a close second to Melbourne in that respect.

Other violent hot-spots here - pubs and nightclubs. It's a regular thing to hear of some young man killed or in a coma after being 'King-hit' (cowardly punched) by some drunken yob. My daughter's boyfriend spent Easter weekend in the hospital, his face shattered, jaw wired, ribs cracked - for simply walking out of the club, not even looking at the ***** who bashed him & then kicked him repeatedly while he was on the ground. My own son and his friends were mugged in the city, broad daylight, street full of busy shoppers. Twice within 20 minutes.

Everyone here knows someone who's been victimised, or was a victim themselves. Our problem: not guns, but a sick joke of a "justice" system infested with do-gooders and social activists who think it's right to let scum on the streets, scum with 20, 30 or even 300 convictions.

The US gets a bad rap but I felt safer walking thru Manhattan at 2am than I do here at 2pm. You have cops all over the place. Here it's a jaw-dropping surprise event to see one.
I never thought Australia would be violent. If anything, I thought Sydney would have the most crime in Australia.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:59 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,048,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
The United States is incredibly violent. I'm American and have lived years in Asia, Europe, and South America.

I love living in Asia, because I can go just about anywhere at anytime with no fear of anything whatsoever. Whenever I visit back home, people are trying to protect themselves with everything they got, lock car doors, buy burlar alarms, they want to carry arms to protect themselves, people look at you funny when you go into many cities, paranoi reigns supreme. Even look at American movies, guns are status quo and violence is expected, encouraged, and incredibly popular. Video games as well. Kids grow up playing with toy guns.

I'm an American who grew up in the States, and it looked all normal to me. But when you live in other countries and can see how normal families and kids and societies are, and how safe it is in urban centers, and how the United States is just NOT...well, yes, I'd say the U.S. is a very violent country.
I know what you mean. I'm living in Japan now, and even Tokyo's crime rate is comparable to a small town in the U.S., and it's the world's most populated metro. Here, I don't have to worry about the same things I would have to worry about in Atlanta.

It also depends on where you live in the U.S. There's a big difference between Detroit and San Diego. San Diego for a large U.S. city has a low crime rate that is more comparable to an Asian, European, or Candian city of similar size.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I never thought Australia would be violent. If anything, I thought Sydney would have the most crime in Australia.
Our Boozing, Macho "Bogan" culture, Is largely to blame. For the vast majority of violence in Australian cities.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:48 AM

200 posts, read 1,008,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Our Boozing, Macho "Bogan" culture, Is largely to blame. For the vast majority of violence in Australian cities.

Yeah but it's very rare you get people walking into colleges and blowing people away.

Australia's murder rate is still considrably lower than the US and slightly lower than the UK. I do agree with the "bogan" culture comment though. You've got violence problems in a lot of towns in the UK mostly related to binge drinking.

LIke in many ways the US has extreme expamples. As SEAandATL mentioned detroit. In Australia we don't have any place anywhere near as violent as Detroit or Chicago or Miami etc.

New York is one example in America that shows things can turn around. When I first lived in the States in '79 it was regarded as crime infested sh hole. THe turn around has been quite extraordinary. It is a relatively very safe city now.

Last edited by billsaintkilda; 09-11-2008 at 06:58 AM..

Old 09-11-2008, 07:25 AM

Well, I do agree with you there. We have some violence here, But it's certainly not like some of the instances, In the US...It's definately more like Drunken Idiocy here, Than anything else?

I just have a bit of a gripe. With some of the bad elements, That are part of what Is considered, To be "Australian"!

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 09-11-2008 at 07:40 AM..

Old 09-11-2008, 07:36 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,446 times
In comparison with developed Western nations, the U.S. is quite violent in terms of murder/homicides per capita. However, blaming it on guns is just too easy. I think the reasons are quite complex. The relative high rates of poverty are part of the problem, in my opinion, as is the prevalence of gangs and drugs.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:59 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
What year was the 'incident' in Hobart when this fellow opened fire on heaps of people?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:07 PM

200 posts, read 1,008,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
What year was the 'incident' in Hobart when this fellow opened fire on heaps of people?

It was in Port Arthur in 96 and the gun laws were tightened considerably. Automatics and Semi Automatics were outlawed.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:11 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Gunds don't kill people, people kill people.
Bull Roar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World