U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,987,288 times

Advertisements

Does the rest of the world (anywhere outside the USA) care if Palin becomes Vice President while having a pregnant unwed teenage daughter?

I am wondering if this would even be talked about elsewhere, maybe no big deal, OR, maybe she would have never been nominated in the first place due to this.

Just wondering.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 12:17 AM

10,791 posts, read 8,171,457 times
Mommytotwo, I'm in Oz and it's amazing how much coverage your whole election trauma is getting here. I say "trauma" because it seems so unbearably long. We just had a state election that was called a month ago, and I thought that was far too long to listen to politicians blather on about promises they have no intention of keeping.

Anyway, as far as Sarah Palin's daughter, personally, I don't care and I don't think politicians' families, especially their kids, should be used against them. Kids are kids and sometimes, no matter how well you think you've raised them, they can go their own way, or just screw up. As long as they're not mass-murderers or similar, leave them out of it. It's all such a distraction from hearing what the issues are.

The media spends too much time on sensationalism and rumour-mongering - both yours and ours. I guess the real issues are too boring & difficult for today's society.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:40 AM

5,823 posts, read 11,085,104 times
She is stunningly good-looking, I think it can only enhance the international appeal of America.Her daughter is beautiful too, not like the poor Clinton daughter.
They're voice-catcher in my view.
(My 2 cents)

Old 09-11-2008, 01:52 PM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,151,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
She is stunningly good-looking, I think it can only enhance the international appeal of America.
I don't think that ANY Republican president or vice president will "enhance the international appeal of America", like you put it. The rest of the world probably couldn't care less about a woman with a pregnant, unwed daughter. The rest of the world is concerned about the possibility that the U.S. citizens - after voting twice! for their current president - will vote once again for a man who thinks pretty much like GW.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:19 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,448,897 times
Honestly, not in most of Europe. Maybe they would care in Kurdistan.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:56 PM

69 posts, read 323,865 times
Well, in the Czech Republic, it would definitely be a non-factor since people in this country are generally pretty tolerant - almost indifferent - to politicians' private lives. For instance, our president was cheating his wife with a young assistant and it didn't hurt his approval rating at all.
I believe though, Palin's ultra-conservative positions on social issues would make her pretty much unelectable in the Czech Republic.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:21 PM

318 posts, read 900,544 times
No I don't care although she may be young I'm not against sex and pregnancy before marriage but then again I'm not religious id guess this would only upset religious folks would it not? on a side note Palin is one fit chick

Old 09-11-2008, 08:22 PM

10,791 posts, read 8,171,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
The rest of the world is concerned about the possibility that the U.S. citizens - after voting twice! for their current president - will vote once again for a man who thinks pretty much like GW.
But is that the truth, or is that what the media are saying? Let's face it, the media have picked who they want to win, and their bias is obvious.

I have read things on American opinion forums by Republicans who hate McCain because they say he's too "liberal". A friend in California calls himself Republican Lite and can't stand Bush or the "old guard people behind him", and never has. I don't follow American politics that closely to know what McCain thinks or wants but I don't believe he's a GW clone, just as I don't believe Clinton and Obama think the same.

But the media frenzy over Sarah Palin is quite surprising. She's only in the VP spot yet it's like she's the "Princess Diana" and McCain is the boring old "Prince Charles". Everybody's more interested in her than him. The whole thing is just too Hollywood celebrity gossip, that it's silly.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:43 PM

217 posts, read 312,728 times
Wow all these people and the media need to calm the **** down, so what if she is pregnant and only 18. In fact its a good thing, why do you think so many children these days are born with autism, its because the women in developed countries give birth at 40-45 years old. They wan't to live the good life and focus on their carreer rather than having kids......

Old 09-11-2008, 10:24 PM

3,469 posts, read 7,711,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
The rest of the world is concerned about the possibility that the U.S. citizens - after voting twice! for their current president - will vote once again for a man who thinks pretty much like GW.
Bush didn't win the popular vote the first time. The electoral college of just over 500 people made him president, not the American people....
The 2nd time, there was controversy over votes also & it's possible he didn't win the popular vote. It's really weird how both times he was elected there were some mysterious problems with counting votes....

My point is, the American people do not elect their own president. The electoral college, who can vote however they want, elect the president.

So your real worry should be...does the electoral college think Sarah Palin is hot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World