Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:39 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,737,507 times

Advertisements

Having lived in New Zealand, Australia and now the New England part of the US I have to say the US is by far the least inexpensive. The 'best' place to live though is dependent on many factors such as what you do for a career, whether you need to live around family, what kind of standard of living you are happy with, the weather etc.

New Zealand is where I was born so I will always have fond memories but it is expensive and the crime rate is high (in my lifetime we had our house broken into 4 times). In Australia I lived in a rural town of 24,000 people and someone broke into our home while we were asleep. My husband has lived in Maine and Florida and has never had a break in in his entire life.

I went to Australia to work because the money was so much better than NZ, here in the US I earn almost as much as Australia but just about everything is half price.

It's all relative, I don't believe there is any Utopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 03:28 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
There is no best country.

There is only the best country that suits your needs.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:30 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Living in the u.s. it seems this place is a sinking ship,many are looking to jump over to Canada but I hear it's not much better there.

While I don't expect the world to get better any time soon,where do you think is the best place in the world to be living right now?
WITHOUT DOUBT THE BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD TO BE LIVING IS: BRAZIL. THERE ARE...
- Most beautiful nature of the world.
-Most beautiful beaches of the world.
-Tropical climate.
-Nice people
- Sun every days of year
THERE ARE NOT...
- earthquakes
-hurricanes
-terrorist atak risk
-state of war
- street gangs

Old 09-24-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Yup that is pretty much on the mark. I'm one of the kiwis that went to Oz. However, something many people forget when they are talking about higher salaries/taxes in another country is that it's relative - people compare themselves to those around them. If everybody you know pays the same tax rate as you or earning the same salary then no-one is actually worse off. It's more about what sort of lifestlye the dollers that you earn in that country buy you (PPP) - and of course the intangibles that can't be measure in dollars.

I find it bizarre that some people think the US is turning communist (read up on what communism actually is) or that socialized healthcare would somehow destroy the country and take away peoples' 'freedoms' (even though all other western countries have some form of socialized healthcare and most have better health outcomes).

I live in a country which has the free-est economy in the world, 95% of the population pays zero tax (no income, CGT, sales tax, nothing. But like I said it's all relative!) plus I don't pay anything for top healthcare, not a cent. Not even for prescriptions, even my paracetemol is free. We have a super efficient and cheap transport system, cheap international travel, cheap groceries and goods and more great food and entertainment and culture than you can poke a stick at. There is almost no violent crime and even property crime is rare. Those on an above average income can afford live-in nannys/housekeepers. You'd have to drag me kicking and screaming to the US! I love visiting, it's an incredible place, but live there? No thanks.

How bad is the pollution in HK? Esp. for someone with asthma?

Old 09-24-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
-Tropical climate.
-Nice people
- Sun every days of year
THERE ARE NOT...
- earthquakes
-hurricanes
-terrorist atak risk
-state of war
- street gangs
Earthquakes, hurricanes, terrorist attacks and street gangs do not occur n all 50 states! Its a big country.

I'd love to see Brazil, when was the last time you had hyperinflation ora military dictatorship? Are you due for one or the other? These are turn-offs for me.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:18 PM

217 posts, read 346,390 times
there is no best country, every place has negatives

Old 09-25-2008, 04:51 AM

318 posts, read 934,253 times
Quote:
-Tropical climate.
-Nice people
- Sun every days of year
THERE ARE NOT...
- earthquakes
-hurricanes
-terrorist atak risk
-state of war
- street gangs
No gangs, what about the gangs that run the slums, what about the gangs that attack police stations and the police what about the large powerful gang known as the PCC that have been linked with bombings and also not to forget severe poverty, huge slums, poor wages.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:25 AM

597 posts, read 1,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Earthquakes, hurricanes, terrorist attacks and street gangs do not occur n all 50 states! Its a big country.

I'd love to see Brazil, when was the last time you had hyperinflation ora military dictatorship? Are you due for one or the other? These are turn-offs for me.
You don't know nothing about Brazil. Hyperinflation and military dictatorship are in far past. Today we live in full democracy and complete economic stability. Our police never kill foreign people like UK police do with a brazilian citizen.(do you remember?)

Old 09-25-2008, 01:24 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,568 times
You can't beat Swizerland, Sweden or Norway.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
You don't know nothing about Brazil. Hyperinflation and military dictatorship are in far past. Today we live in full democracy and complete economic stability. Our police never kill foreign people like UK police do with a brazilian citizen.(do you remember?)
Excuse me I was not being negative. I just wanted to know when these occurred in the past.. you see I KNOW something about Brazil which is why I asked! I wanted to know what life was like under those circumstances doofus! How do you do banking? How do you cope with rising prices? Don't be so quick to be negative! I had a business school case on Brazil in years back but it did not give information on how regular citizens coped, only from a corporate perspective. If people from Brazil are as obnoxious as you, I'm crossing it off my list -- thanks for being such a good promoter of how warm and friendly your countrymen are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World