Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:03 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3TFwSoH6o0

I would say the same is the case in Australia, for the most part. If on a train, or something, a stranger will usually only speak to you if they need help or to alert you of something (say you dropped something). Randomly just saying 'hi' is not general, although sometimes happens, usually older folks. I think this sort of thing happens a bit more in the States. I've heard in Scandinavian countries it's a big no-no. What about your country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
It's weird. Who the hell talks to random people on the bus or train?

Old 06-10-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It's weird. Who the hell talks to random people on the bus or train?
Well in the RS forum I hear of guys randomly talking to women, I guess a desperate attempt at anything...

Just today there was a middle aged woman who would start talking to anyone who sat next to her...she was a little batty, but she was saying about how people don't care anymore, don't communicate...the other day at the bus stop a man basically started talking to me and said the same thing, that people are stuck to their phones.etc.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:23 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
A lot of people do it here, generally not important topics such as weather, or something that is happening around, but some people talk longer conversations especially old people.

I remember a man who told me about his previous years on the train. Another day in the train well a friendly guy from the south told me about his job experiences and we talked about travelling. I had quite a lot of experiences like these.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
A lot of people do it here, generally not important topics such as weather, or something that is happening around, but some people talk longer conversations especially old people.

I remember a man who told me about his previous years on the train. Another day in the train well a friendly guy from the south told me about his job experiences and we talked about travelling. I had quite a lot of experiences like these.
That's nice to hear. Yeah it's usually old ladies who seem up for a bit of a gasbag, which is usually quite nice.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:32 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,730 times
We are warned from a young age in Britain not to to talk to strangers or to go home with people who we don't now. Indeed just last week a beautiful Swedish Au pair wanted me to come back to her apartment, but luckily I remembered all those public information films I had seen as a child and promptly told her no.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:37 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3TFwSoH6o0

I would say the same is the case in Australia, for the most part. If on a train, or something, a stranger will usually only speak to you if they need help or to alert you of something (say you dropped something). Randomly just saying 'hi' is not general, although sometimes happens, usually older folks. I think this sort of thing happens a bit more in the States. I've heard in Scandinavian countries it's a big no-no. What about your country?
It changes a lot in both countries if you are carrying a baby around with you. Though I would certainly agree under normal circumstances most people will not say anything to random strangers.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
It changes a lot in both countries if you are carrying a baby around with you. Though I would certainly agree under normal circumstances most people will not say anything to random strangers.
A dog also helps break the ice.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:51 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Old people love to start conversations with me, or my toddler, but otherwise people generally don't talk to strangers unless asking for help/directions/the time etc. While sober anyway, drunk is a different story. But I've experienced a few times a stranger starting a conversation with me on the train so its not completely unheard of, and people love to chat when they come into the shop I work in.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:07 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
Some men and some women talk to random people and others do not. I rarely initiate conversation with a stranger. Since I've traveled extensively, sometimes it has probably been my loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World