Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 05:03 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,769 times

Advertisements

Germany?! Amsterdam?! Not even close....!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 02:10 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,015,659 times
From my travels around the world, friendliest cities (outside the US):

Adelaide, Luang Prabang, Chiang Mai, Kuala Lumpur, Bali (Ubud, Nusa Dua).., Dublin, Venice (winter season), Istanbul, Cebu, Hilo

US:
Louisville, NYC, SF, Portland, Ft. Worth

Old 10-01-2008, 06:39 PM

726 posts, read 2,268,890 times
I'd say Seattle and NYC.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:25 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,634,451 times
It would help if you mean actively showing friendliness or being nice as in polite. The former can be superficial, and if you're only visiting a few days you may think the locals are harsh and unfriendly in places people keep to themselves.

People in Sweden will be nice and mostly informal. Ask a Swede how he is feeling. You will get an honest and detailed answer. The English (less pronouneced in the northern part of the country) are quite distant, formal, polite, and aloof. Friendship just takes longer with these kind of people. Northern Europeans are just colder than Mediterraneans. But the MTV generation can be surprisingly similar. Even so southern countries with warmer and more hot-tempered people you will find that people are more welcoming.

It also depends what you think is friendly. I was around a lot of young Italians earlier this year. No, kids aren't the same everywhere. There were Chinese children at the same place and they were very quiet and stood in a queue like a train. The Italians had no respect for older people very little understanding of standing in a queue. They were also incredibly loud. They smiled much more than any typically quiet Finnish person. But I found these Italians very rude.

Generally speaking, Americans are friendlier than Europeans in the sense of making an effort to make you feel good. But the commercial "flight attendant smile" type friendliness of very capitalist societies is not popular in Europe. I've visited many post-communist Eastern European countries and there you find the opposite. They still feel (although it's improving) what's the point of helping the customer. I'm not sensitive about these things. I actually rather find stuff on my own than have someone trying to assist me all the time. These kind of people take it to an extreme though. Unexpressive faces to the point of rudeness is still common in the Baltic countries, Poland and Ukraine, among others. They have a totally different concept of customer service. The same people can be very friendly in a different setting.

So in conclusion, it's not a simple question to answer. You should define friendliness.

Old 10-02-2008, 08:42 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,944 times
Glasgow by a mile! Can't beat Scottish friendliness

Old 10-03-2008, 03:57 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,003 times
Germans and Germany=the most kind people and the most beautiful country in the world by experience

I love the Germans too and I feel at ease in Germany since I appreciate&speak German...but I can't stand the climate, I was in winter there, Holy ****!
And it is a very industrialized country with high pop density , not much left that's picturesque&pristine....

Old 10-06-2008, 08:08 PM

8 posts, read 32,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Tokyo and Atlanta.
I live in Atlanta and would have to disagree on this one.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:07 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,522,627 times
I was stationed in Gaeta, Italy. It's not a major tourist destination and so they have a different attitude than in the tourist cities. The people were friendly, if you don't speak Italian then they're willing to work with you until you can understand each other. It actually got to be fun and helped me to learn a little Italian. What was nice about Gaeta is it's location. It was situated roughly half way between Naples and Rome. It has a small mountain with the best preserved Roman tomb of a Roman General, a fort, and what was once a prison. It's a fishing town so if you order seafood in the local restaurants you know it's fresh. I miss that town. In general, popular tourist destination cities aren't that friendly since they get tired of the tourist. Head out into the countryside for more friendly people, better food, and roads less traveled.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:51 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,003 times
Venice Beach, California

Old 01-04-2010, 06:00 AM

2 posts, read 6,157 times
Germany, Sweden, Holland.. northern countries are friendly but in an 'its my civic duty to smile' way. Considering year after year Dublin is voted 'friendliest city in Europe' by the largest poll online im gonna vote for my home city. They will make you laugh too, in the genuine way. That's not to say there's not a few dour faces in any city. Here in Australia, people are very friendly too. Melbourne especially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World