Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2020, 01:44 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,117,691 times

Advertisements

That I have been to:

PRETTIEST
Rome- god I love this place
Paris- I was impressed, just don't venture too far from the Seine
Florence
Venice
Verona
Cuzco
New York- Very divisive. I love the place, but it is indeed more grand and intresting than classically "pretty." Also, in context, I like urban decay and things that mark the passage of time. I stick by it, but not for everybody.
Dallas- I like the spareness of the Texas environment.
Seattle
Portland

Ugliest
Milan
Las Vegas
Reno
Newark
Tijuana
Los Angeles
Lima (sorry, loved Cuzco, though).
Fresno
Bakersfield
Barstow

Chicago and Boston looked nice, but I didn't have time to take a proper look.

San Francisco is both. Amazing city in a totally unique spot between an ocean and a bay. Nothing beats the Golden Gate Bridge. But man, it is a pathetic dump these days of bums and criminals. Think "Mad Max." and don't come here.

Also, a lot of people saying Oakland. It is dangerous, but not at all ugly. The iconic Tribune building...the Lake Merritt district...the Temescul area...Chinatown...Jack London Square...really neat place. Just stay away from International blvd.

Last edited by cachibatches; 12-05-2020 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2020, 03:33 PM

676 posts, read 647,413 times
Haven't been to as many as some here so it's more limited to North America and Asia where I've spent most of my life in between.

Prettiest (in various degrees of scenery, cityscape and architecturally)

North America:

Maui
Sitka, AK
San Juan, WA
San Francisco
Carmel
Tofino
Vancouver
Banff
Quebec
St. John's (NL)

Asia/Oceania:

Sydney
Hong Kong
Kyoto
Fujiyama
Jeju (Korea)

Ugliest:

North America:
Prairie city...take your pick (sans Calgary), I've been to all of them. Edmonton, Winnipeg, Regina and all the smaller ones in between. They're not awful places to live but they are hideous in the flatness, the months of the year affected by snow (and resulting snowmelt), dirtiness and general brown/grey colors. Winnipeg has decent architecture to stand above the rest.

Riverside California also did not leave a good impression. It's just a mass concentration of people to get itself onto the top ranking MSA list but it looks and feels like LA spillover country.

Inland small town USA in general, is what you'd expect. Nothing much to see.

Asia:
Many regions of China are very beautiful and underappreciated, but the cities themselves look awful. The more developed ones are concrete jungles of skyscraper oneupmanship fever without the harbor and the setting benefits of Hong Kong.

Old 12-05-2020, 06:35 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,985,265 times
Prettiest:
Sydney
Seattle
Boston
Paris
Dusseldorf
Munich
Lisbon
Oporto
Zurich
Lucerne

Ugliest:
Houston
Orlando
Raleigh
Memphis
Beijing (I think I got pneumonia here..)
Most of New York City (Staten Island, Bronx, ~112th Street and Up in Manhattan, Most of Queens and Brooklyn)
SOuthern Tier of Boston (Hyde Park, Dorchester, Mattapan)

Old 12-06-2020, 06:56 AM

153 posts, read 110,211 times
Prettiest:

Some parts of NYC: beautiful architecture in a lot of Manhattan, especially near Central Park
Quebec City: downtown area looked gorgeous
Vancouver: city's architecture is rather meh but natural setting is unparalleled

Ugliest:

Some parts of NYC like Harlem, Bronx: project blocks, rotting infrastructure.
Kowloon, Hong Kong: very grey and dense, full of massive apartment blocks with dripping AC units on the windows, the buildings look like they are melting.
Beijing: very ugly, grey, weird choice for the capital of China. Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou, or many other cities would be much better choices.
A lot of the US Midwest/Canadian Prairies: very desolate, flat, not nice to look at besides a few areas. Many cities have gutted out downtowns surrounded by seas of parking lots.
Most of stripmall-y North America: so much concrete and cars, very few redeeming features.
Dead small towns in Japan: pretty depressing, future seems grim.
Metro Manila: traffic is ridiculous, luxury skyscrapers next to slums in literal garbage dumps.
The periphery areas of Japanese metro areas, like Saitama, Ibaraki and Sakai. Very brown and grey, lack of natural beauty
Seoul's copy paste skyscraper apartment blocks

Most places I've been have been of mixed quality, can usually find beauty and ugliness everywhere. Haven't been anywhere entirely beautiful or ugly.

Old 12-21-2020, 11:35 AM

424 posts, read 465,530 times
Most beautiful cities in natural settings: San Francisco, Rio De Janeiro, Cape Town, Vancouver

Ugliest cities: Chongqing, Shenzhen, Sao Paulo, Cairo, Dhaka

Old 12-25-2020, 03:11 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
Two cities you can easily visit on the same day. Three hours apart , by bus.

Sucre , Bolivia is a lovely old colonial town, I could easily spend my life there.

Not far away is Potosi, Bolivia, the notorious tin-mining center, the ugliest mos depressing place you'll ever want to get away from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post

Inland small town USA in general, is what you'd expect. Nothing much to see.
Of the 1,000 most look-worthy buildings in the US, 500 of them are small town courthouses.

Last edited by arr430; 12-25-2020 at 03:28 AM..

Old 12-25-2020, 10:11 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,938,725 times
Prettiest city in the world

Only one comes to mind now and maybe forever----------Albuquerque, New Mexico

The view from anywhere in the city is for people who love horizons as far as the eye can see which lifts the spirit.

As for ugliest don't really want to think about that.

Old 12-25-2020, 11:57 AM

2,354 posts, read 1,150,587 times
Damn! they've got some powerful drugs in New Mexico!

Old 03-15-2021, 11:26 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,013,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
The suburbs of Paris look like an average and featureless city. It's not an awful ugliness, unless we compare them with Paris properly and its sumptuous arrondissements.

Meanwhile, it's funny to read people bashing the suburbs of Paris while pointing Rio as one of the prettiest cities of the world, while the suburbs of Rio look far, far worse than the ugliest suburb of Paris.
Just as more than one person on this thread has listed El Paso as one of the ugliest cities, with never a mention of its larger sister city right across the river, the hideous shantytown Cd. Juarez.

Old 03-17-2021, 12:59 AM

53 posts, read 28,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian/SWE View Post
This is what i think:

prettiest: Vancouver

Ugliest: ? Probaly a poor place with ugly slums.

__________________________________________________ _______________

So... Which city do think is prettiest/ugliest?

Discuss!

(I'm sorry for not having any pictures, but it did not work so well)
Hmmm, I think I can only really think in terms of the places I'm most familiar with.

I'd say that prettiest or ugliest are hard to qualify, because either in terms of cultural buzz, street life, street art and people, incorporation of foliage and natural environment, and the built environment and the architecture of a certain city, helps to give that city it's beauty. If a city is an architectural 2 but a cultural 5, I'd consider it as pretty as a city that is an architectural 5 but a cultural 2. If that makes sense.

Then there's practicality to consider. It's pretty, but is it economical? Is it conducive to reasonably comfortable living? This is always important to me.

In America, the prettiest city that I've been to is Charleston, as a whole. In America, it's an architectural 5 and a cultural 3.

I actually can't think of the "ugliest city in America"! I'm sure some that I've been to are candidates - I went to Jacksonville, when I was really young, so I cant make a fair judgement - I associated the city with sterility in my mind, and it probably is culturally kind of weak, but the built environment, if not the architecture, as well as the incorporation of flora, the suburbs, etc, seems kind of pleasant (using my few memories and online images to make that judgement).

Similarly, Des Moines isn't a poppin' city, culturally, nor is it architecturally amazing, but it isn't downright ugly.

I rag on it, but the ugliest city for it's size on the continent is Toronto. It is exceptionally boring and unattractive, and it offers very little that's that locally unique, in a cultural sense. It has no "vibe". I've never been, but I would put Houston kind of in the same category. No natural environment to salvage a sterile-looking, kind of vibe-less, unattractive city. What saves it is the Texan regional association, the decent hip hop scene, the mission control center, and the great food - ever tried Vietnamese/Cajun fusion?

I think it can more accurately be said that neighborhoods look ugly, not necessarily entire cities.

Some people seem to be naming cities like Detroit based on an association with crime and urban decay, but the city has, throughout history, been a cultural powerhouse, and it has some very pretty architecture. It's suburban areas are also pretty gorgeous.

As for Europe, the prettiest city I've been to was Santorini, but I'm not sure that's a city. The ugliest city in Europe was easily Athens. It was very decayed and dirty looking in a number of quite central areas. It's not particularly pretty to me. Valletta, Malta was pretty but boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World