Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 06:42 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,605,995 times

Advertisements

I would say Latin America, and then countries where the major racial groups butt up against each other (central asia, north africa, etc...)
The problem is that race is a somewhat subjective term.
African-Americans in the US are almost all a result of miscenagation, so really they should all count as mixed race. Most Hispanics in the US are of mixed race by US standards, but Latin America has a different definition of what it means to be white. There, you can have native and other blood and still identify as white.
Is an Indian descent and a Chinese descent couple a mix? They both can claim "Asian" in the US.
How about an Indian descent and a European descent? Genetic studies have shown the "Caucasian" race to include both of these people.
Mixed births may also not be a good measure. Anectodely, I'd say people who date only their own race are likely to give birth to children more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
Regardless of what you see in the U.S., I've heard the actual event of mixed couples having babies is small. I think I heard around 2% of White people in the country have kids with another race. It may be higher, but it's definitely still taboo in most people's minds.
That's quite a statement. Most people's minds? Separate "most of your friends" from "most people".
I'd say "most people" don't care.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:46 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,676,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Is an Indian descent and a Chinese descent couple a mix? They both can claim "Asian" in the US.
South Asians (Indians/Pakistanis) are Caucasoid but are grouped with East Asians (Mongoloid) here in the United States for geographic - and not racial - reasons. In the context of race, a child of mixed Pakistani and Chinese heritage is most certainly mixed.

Quote:
How about an Indian descent and a European descent? Genetic studies have shown the "Caucasian" race to include both of these people.
Again, Indians are Caucasian as are Europeans. Europeans, or "whites" as they are often labeled in the United States, are just light-skinned Caucasians. A child of an Indian parent and a European parent may be of mixed cultural/religious heritage, but is not of mixed racial heritage.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I would say Latin America, and then countries where the major racial groups butt up against each other (central asia, north africa, etc...)
Perfect answer.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
South Asians (Indians/Pakistanis) are Caucasoid but are grouped with East Asians (Mongoloid) here in the United States for geographic - and not racial - reasons. In the context of race, a child of mixed Pakistani and Chinese heritage is most certainly mixed.

Again, Indians are Caucasian as are Europeans. Europeans, or "whites" as they are often labeled in the United States, are just light-skinned Caucasians. A child of an Indian parent and a European parent may be of mixed cultural/religious heritage, but is not of mixed racial heritage.
Says you.
And they were not grouped that way for geographic reasons. It was for political reasons. Whites didn't want em.
Not All Caucasians Are White: The Supreme Court Rejects Citizenship for Asian Indians

Race is not as clearcut as you feel. Some may feel the descendent is mixed. In fact, that was the original reason they were considered Asian.
Turkish people can be from Asia, Georgia is in Asia, why aren't they considered Asian, yet Indians are? It's certainly not having to do with the continent they reside in.

From the link:

Quote:
They imply, as we have said, a racial test; but the term “race” is one which, for the practical purposes of the statute, must be applied to a group of living persons now possessing in common the requisite characteristics, not to groups of persons who are supposed to be or really are descended from some remote, common ancestor, but who, whether they both resemble him to a greater or less extend, have, at any rate, ceased altogether to resemble one another. It may be true that the blond Scandinavian and the brown Hindu have a common ancestor in the dim reaches of antiquity, but the average man knows perfectly well that there are unmistakable and profound differences between them today; and it is not impossible, if that common ancestor could be materialized in the flesh, we should discover that he was himself sufficiently differentiated from both of his descendants to preclude his racial classification with either.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 PM

I never stated that all Caucasians are white; I stated that whites are light-skinned Caucasians. Dark-skinned Caucasians are generally NOT considered "white." The way I like to explain it is that all "white" people are Caucasian but that not all Caucasians are "white."

Asia is a continent that contains people of Caucasoid (West Asia, South Asia, the Middle East), Mongoloid (East and Southeast Asia), mixed Mongoloid/Caucasoid (parts of Central Asia), and even mixed Caucasoid/Negroid (lower Arabian peninsula ) origin. Saying someone is "Asian" is not necessarily commenting on that person's race.

The politics of why some people "are considered" Asian isn't much of a concern of mine in this thread because a conversation about miscegenation focuses on the three races (Caucasoid, Mongoloid, Negroid) and the mixing of those races... not what most American "white" people think or consider.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:30 PM

But my point is that you have one definition of what a race is. That is not everyone's definition, so the answer can always be ambiguous. I have no problem with white being a race, because the whole idea of race is largely a social construct anyway. The idea of race was long around before genetics, or even science, was around. So using science to prove "true" races is using science to support your worldview, not basing your worldview on science.
Even those terms you use are contraversial in the anthropological community.
Politics,sociology, and anthtropology must inevitably get involved in a discussion like this because that is what forms the idea of race.
Like I said, most people in the US who are black would actually be a mix of what you call Negroid, Caucasoid, and possibly even Mongoloid (native american).
Most US of European descent also have more than one of these three "oids" in their blood.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:40 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,562,173 times
All this talk about miscegnation is a little disturbing. Are there any countries with a large amount of CEGNATION? What are THESE places like?...How could one "cegnate", should it ever become neccessary?.....

Old 01-22-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
All this talk about miscegnation is a little disturbing. Are there any countries with a large amount of CEGNATION? What are THESE places like?...How could one "cegnate", should it ever become neccessary?.....
Why is it disturbing and why would it be necessary? Was that some sort of weird joke?

Old 01-22-2009, 01:09 PM

215 posts, read 661,558 times
Scandinavia may be the most miscegenated place in Europe.

Modern day Norwegians/Swedes, by Y-chromosomal haplogroups, are roughly 35-40% I2 (a Middle Eastern haplogroup whose original carriers migrated to present-day Yugoslavia around 20,000 years ago and from there to Scandinavia shortly after the last Ice Age ended), roughly 10% N (a "Mongoloid" haplogroup from the region's Finno-Ugric populations), with most of the rest being typical western European R1b and eastern European R1a. By contrast, southern England is over 80% R1b - the haplogroup coming most likely from the pre-Ice Age, Cro-Magnon population of Europe.

If anyone claims that I and J (Middle Eastern haplogroups) are "Caucasian" (whatever that means), may I remind you that they have a greater genetic distance (split off earlier) from the typical European R- haplogroups than the dominant Chinese haplogroup O?

This is just another reminder that grouping the Homo Sapiens into the three "classical" races is perfectly meaningless from the standpoint of modern genetics. The history of human genetic diversity, of the human colonization of the planet, is far more complex than that.

And, yes, almost all of the human race is heavily miscegenated. The 'purest' among us (those that have not mixed with genetically distant neighbors in the last 10,000 years) are to be found only in places like the Andaman islands and the deepest of the Amazon jungle.

Last edited by Woozle; 01-22-2009 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World