Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 03:58 AM

5,071 posts, read 7,554,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadsuper55 View Post
They killed off their dark skin indigenous people years ago in genocide. Pretty sick
That was pretty much what they tried to do with Australian Aboriginals, whiten them up by forcing the to marry outside their race.

The miscegenation rate of aboriginal Australians is well over 50% in 2021, though by choice of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2021, 10:44 AM

4,661 posts, read 4,152,463 times
Paraguay is the only nation in history in which it was once illegal to marry someone OF YOUR OWN race.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:48 AM

4,661 posts, read 4,152,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadsuper55 View Post
No african Americans are not mixed race lol This is hilarious
Actually, many are. The only pure Africans are KhoiSan and Bushman.

Old 09-12-2021, 09:54 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,041,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Actually, many are. The only pure Africans are Khoisan and Bushman.
BS, they can be very mixed as they encountered different peoples through out history, such as the Bantu peoples and Europeans. BTW Nelson Mandela is part Khoisan. The Afrikaners do also have distant Khoisan background and not just exclusively of Dutch/French/German background. The Coloureds in South Africa also have Khoisan and European background.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:39 AM

6,511 posts, read 4,133,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
BS, they can be very mixed as they encountered different peoples through out history, such as the Bantu peoples and Europeans. BTW Nelson Mandela is part Khoisan. The Afrikaners do also have distant Khoisan background and not just exclusively of Dutch/French/German background. The Coloureds in South Africa also have Khoisan and European background.
I'm assuming he's talking about exclusive groups. As in Khoikhoi people who identify as Khoikhoi people are unmixed. But yes, their are many people with Khoisan ancestry throughout southern Africa, but that doesn't mean that the Khoisan themselves are mixed people, just that a significant portion of the group mixed with groups outside of their region. In the same way African Americans generally have 10-25% European, ancestry, but White Americans generally have 1% African ancestry or less.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:59 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,041,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I'm assuming he's talking about exclusive groups. As in Khoikhoi people who identify as Khoikhoi people are unmixed. But yes, their are many people with Khoisan ancestry throughout southern Africa, but that doesn't mean that the Khoisan themselves are mixed people, just that a significant portion of the group mixed with groups outside of their region. In the same way African Americans generally have 10-25% European, ancestry, but White Americans generally have 1% African ancestry or less.
Well the Khoisan people just like the Native Americans and Aboriginals suffered really hard by epidemics due to foreign settlers:

The Khoisan had no natural immunity to these imported diseases, and were hit hard by epidemics. In 1713, for example, an estimated 90 percent of the Khoisan population is thought to have been wiped out by smallpox. Moreover, the traditional lifestyles and cultures of distinct communities were often altered by intermarriage with different ethnic groups, especially in the Western Cape. There is evidence of intermarriage both between Khoikhoi and San populations and with colonial slave populations, as well as with Bantu-speaking farmers and white settlers. https://www.sahistory.org.za/article/khoisan-identity

Maybe before the European settlements before the 17th century of the Cape region the Khoisan were unmixed.

Last edited by herenow1; 09-13-2021 at 03:10 AM..

Old 09-13-2021, 03:16 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,878,565 times
Canada - at least in the more urban areas - has a lot of mixed race relationships. Outside the more urban areas, there are fewer ethnic minorities, and they are more likely to be embedded in their diaspora, at least for the first generation. In the really rural areas, where there is no diaspora, mixed race relationships are even more common than in the cities.

I’ve personally been in a couple mixed race relationships. In my own experience, Chinese and Central/South Asian, as well as any insular, ultra-traditional, or ultra-religious ethnic group are among the least likely to date outside their ethnic and religious group. Just to be clear, that is a generalization. My longest relationship was with a South Asian woman and I’m…not South Asian. It took a very long time for her family to warm up to me, but eventually they did and I became part of the family. She was part of my family almost from the beginning.

Still, I’ve learned from my own experience and those of the dozens and dozens of people I know in mixed race relationships and marriages that love truly doesn’t see race or ethnicity. Common values, partnership and teamwork, chemistry, love, friendship - these things transcend race and ethnicity.

Last edited by TOkidd; 09-13-2021 at 03:39 AM..

Old 09-13-2021, 03:29 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,878,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveitup View Post
You’re drawing a comparison between Canada and the US when the US has a 45 million strong native black ethnic group that is mixed as a population in and of itself.
[Mod cut: huh??]
I don’t think this person is thinking about proportion of %. They seem offended to be lumped in with Canada because the US has so many more people and, therefore, has many more total mixed race relationships. However, that isn’t really the point. A country may have 10,000,000 mixed race relationships out of a population of more than a billion (just as an example) while a smaller country with 10,000,000 people may have 500,000 mixed race relationships (again, a hypothetical example.) While the first example may have more total mixed race relationships, the example of the smaller country has a larger proportion of its people in mixed race relationships.

I don’t know the proportion is for Canada vs. the US, but with the tremendous ethnic diversity of Canadian cities where foreign-born populations are often approaching or even greater than 50%, mixed race relationships make up a large proportion of total relationships in my experience.

Old 09-13-2021, 04:04 AM

5,071 posts, read 7,554,615 times
According to the ABS, in 2016 Marriages in Australia are split

Two people born in Australia 54.5%
Two people born in the same overseas country 13.9%
Two people born in Different countries 31.6%

Though they do not collect data on the exact race of people in Australia, its estimated about 1/3rd of all marriages in Australia are interracial, certainly in the big cities it would possibly be closer to 40-50%.

I am in an interracial marriage myself.

https://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...20Release12016

Old 09-16-2021, 07:57 PM

36 posts, read 19,746 times
This thread is kind of odd to me. Largely because of the subjective-ness of race like some posters here address. Latin America was largely founded on miscegenation. And many people who take DNA tests may find more than one race in their DNA even people who consider themselves to be White.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World