Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:37 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
I must be one of the crazies who wouldn't mind paying US income tax if residing abroad although I wouldn't LOVE it. No, what I hate shelling out for is ridiculous medical insurance and the related expenses. Since we retired four years ago, our pension fund has plummeted to half what it was, my home has lost $100k in value and our medical insurance has gone through the roof. In just four years! We haven't gone anywhere, purchased anything major or indulged in our fantasies. We did everything right and had to stand by and watch our future go down the drain.
If we don't do something, we could run out of money in ten years. I'm 'only' 55 and didn't plan on eking out an existence just to pay Blue Cross/Blue Shield $700 bucks a month. That's with a $1,500 deductible and twenty percent co-pay. Oh yes, and when I first got this policy, the monthly was $500. It went up by $200 a month in only two years. I am bitter about this. I love my country but can't afford it.
I'm with you on the health care costs. I personally worry a great deal about the US government going bankrupt if we don't do something *very soon* to rein in medical costs.

That said, the European countries have cheaper (and probably equally effective) medical care, but they've got a 19% or 20% "value added tax" on just about everything (often including food). The mass transit is great, but it is also expensive.

So, I guess my point is, the US has its rip offs and other countries have theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 04:55 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Currently, Panama is regarded as the best.

Taxes in Panama

You need to be careful abot where you settle. Colon is possibly the most dangerous city in the world, and Panama City is somewhat dicey. However, outside the canal area, Panama is quite safe and friendly. Boquete, in the highlands near the Costa Rica border is developing rapidly as a retirement center. Panamain beer is pretty good, too.
I lived in Boquete, it is beautiful and perfect weather, but real estate is quite expensive.

boquete panama - Google Search

Old 07-25-2010, 05:12 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm with you on the health care costs. I personally worry a great deal about the US government going bankrupt if we don't do something *very soon* to rein in medical costs.

That said, the European countries have cheaper (and probably equally effective) medical care, but they've got a 19% or 20% "value added tax" on just about everything (often including food). The mass transit is great, but it is also expensive.

So, I guess my point is, the US has its rip offs and other countries have theirs.
Medical costs are insane in the U.S.

OBESITY in the U.S. has an emormously large impact on it...it's a topic that very few Americans want to actually address though. The healthcare system is already a disaster, but the obesity epidemic just significantly compounds it.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:34 PM

114 posts, read 308,878 times
Singapore and Hong Kong have to be on your list. I recommend Singapore, but the real estate prices in both cities are pretty high.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,233 times
Where are earth did you get that impression? Of course the US recognizes dual citizenship. Quick research can find you this information:

[url=http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html]US State Department Services Dual Nationality[/url]

Old 05-18-2012, 02:44 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,187,014 times
Monaco. It must be the safest country on Earth. The income tax is zero. Unfortunately, you have to be a decamillionaire or hectomillionaire to live there.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:35 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Thanks for all the ideas. I looked at the Taxes link and I think I will subscribe to that International living. It will probably help me make a educated decision.

I have good things about Croatia also so it looks like there are many places to consider. I just know I am tired of paying an arm and a leg for taxes so this American is taking my tax money and leaving as soon as I can. Thanks for the ideas
Are you looking for a retirement place? Croatia is BEAUTIFUL! If this is a real option, I'd like to know more about the details (are foreigners allowed to own real estate? They're not in some E European countries.)

US retirees have abandoned Panama (price of real estate has risen beyond most people's ability to pay), Guatemala (crime/war), Mexico (drug activity spreading), Costa Rica (locals have become hostile to foreign residents in some areas), and have re-settled in Ecuador. Land is still cheap in some areas, there are good beaches, though the expat communities are in the highlands.

Let me know what you find out about Croatia.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:37 PM

291 posts, read 831,777 times
All EU citizens can own houses in Croatia. Americans can own houses here too, but with some bureaucracy included - an American must obtain a document called consent for acquisition of property from Republic of Croatia’s Ministry of Justice.

Buying Real Estate | Embassy of the United States Zagreb, Croatia

If I may add, Croatia is diverse when it comes to climate, ie we have freezing winters here in Zagreb, the south is warmer but also very seasonal - no eternal sunshine, palm trees and cocktails

Old 05-21-2012, 04:08 PM

77 posts, read 367,202 times
I ve been to s pedro sula and walked around town
At night 4am to 6am, nothing crazyly dangerous

Actually 3 well dressed guitarists where playing on the street
In front of few people and i enjoyed the show...

UOTE=jtur88;6110054]There isn't any country in the world where a moderately prudent person's risk of being murdered is significaint. Everywhere, your chances of being killed by a drunk or otherwise incompetent driver are many times higher than your chances of being murdered. It is very foolish to take such a tiny risk into account in a major life decision. Just stay out of bars at closing time in San Pedro Sula, and you'll be fine. Risk always rises, everywhere, after dark, even in the WalMart parking lot.[/quote]

Old 06-25-2012, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,257 times
Default Stupid

You know the Tax Burden in the United States is one of the LOWEST in the WORLD?!?!

Only 7 Countries in the world have a lower tax burden.
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_tax_rates]List of countries by tax rates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

The idea that U.S. Citizens are overtaxed is delusional. Especially when you look at the benefits we get - like toll-free public roads that don't absolutely suck.

You want a warm beach with low taxes, you also get crappy roads, sub-standard health care and corrupt police. Congratulations! Low taxes. Sure you are much more likely to get killed in your sleep or in your car, but at least you can take the tax savings with you.... oops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World