Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:12 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
It's indeed mostly symbolic. Ron Paul would have of course been better. He was the most competent. Most Americans are really libertarian. The differences between him and McCain aren't big. McCain suffered from the financial crisis and his perceived relation to Bush, who was on the way to destroy USA. Bush is still around a bit more. He can still do some damage.

It remains to be seen what Obama actually does or is able to do. Change doesn't mean anything in itself. Particularly a less aggressive and more balanced foreign policy is much needed. He should get out of Iraq very soon, and deal with Saudi Arabia and Pakistan. Get closer to Europe, distance himself from Georgia and get closer Russia. Trade - don't make wars. Stop nation building which only served neoconservative interests. Obama seem to be a pragmatic man. It's what America needs right now. Above all, focus on domestic politics rather than robbing the wealth of other countries. Obama will at least restore some American esteem around the world. Americans will hopefully not need to call themselves Canadian anymore when travelling abroad.

McCain supporters, embrace your Kenyan president.
I agree that most Americans are truly libertarian deep down. Convincing them of that is the hard part.

I didn't vote for Obama. I do hope that there are some good things that could come from his presidency.
Unfortunately, I doubt that a good economy will be one of them. I believe his plans could bankrupt us further, and I think gas and energy prices will skyrocket well beyond anything we saw under Bush. Obama seems to be very pro-alternative fuels... to a fault. I don't think he'll ease into it, he'll start forcing it right away. That's going to be painful financially. The environmentalists will like it, since they think global warming is caused primarily by man.
60% of Americans get their electricity from coal. Obama is on record as saying that energy companies can build new coal plants, but he'll bankrupt them for doing it. That's dangerous and irresponsible.
Financially, he'll make Bush look like Reagan.
One other thing, I don't want Obama's health care plan. Never. Just one more thing that will destroy the economy... that, and all his other government programs. What was it, 1 trillion dollars in new spending? We all know he's not going to cut that much to make up for it. I'm certain the taxes on my 40k a year job are going up at some point under Obama.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:21 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,671,039 times
As an American I am thrilled. Last night felt like New Years Eve. I wanted to go out and bang pots. LOL!!

It was an emotional moment filled with "pride", trust, and hope.

This man needs our prayers for he is walking into a "mess". The economy, Iraq war, terrorism, education, and a busted housing market.
These are just a few of of the issues...........there are many more.

United we stand.........Divided we fall. I'm so happy and feel so proud the majority of Ameicans had their say. No voting fraud messes to deal with.
The Americans had a voice and it was heard loud and clear. God Bless America.
I

Old 11-05-2008, 09:28 AM

597 posts, read 1,298,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
how do you feel about it?
god bless him!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:40 AM

271 posts, read 1,072,474 times
I hate his theory on re-distribution of wealth. And I don't live in the most affluent areas, I would probably be one of the ones that 'get' money. And I hate that people will be able to murder a child whenever they feel like it. But hey lower taxes eh?

Old 11-05-2008, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,579 times
Post GoBama!!!

2Pacs grave message:,Im not saying I will change the world,but I guarnatee that I wil spark the brain that will change the world"

Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 AM

527 posts, read 1,281,756 times
I'm happy. I can't wait to see what he'll do.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:10 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
emotional and extremely happy. i'm usually cynical, telling everyone not to expect too much. i mean, he's a politician. the country can't change overnight just because of a new president. but i'm allowing a day or 2 of a honeymoon period to be unrealistically happy!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:06 PM

524 posts, read 942,113 times
I campaigned against Obama! I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and he WILL be my president when he is sworn in!

Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 PM

245 posts, read 765,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Obama is on record as saying that energy companies can build new coal plants, but he'll bankrupt them for doing it.

If I'm not mistaken, Obama was referring to his Cap and Trade plan for CO2 emissions. What most people don't know is that McCain also advanced his own Cap and Trade plan. In that respect at least, we Americans would have been scr*wed over with either candidate. It's too bad that both candidates jumped on the global warming (AGW) bandwagon. They would have done better to focus on reducing the pollutants that have a far more direct effect on human health: mercury, sulfur dioxide, particulates, etc.

Having said that, I am hopeful about Mr. Obama's plans to help the U.S. auto industry retool for the production of plug-in hybrids and his proposed tax credit towards the purchase of these hybrids. For economic and national security reasons, the sooner we can reduce our dependence on imported oil, the better off we'll be. Being the pragmatic fellow that he is, Mr. Obama will probably opt for a watered down Cap and Trade system that is phased in gradually (hint: after he leaves office...). I'm sure he'll realize at some point that all these new plug in hybrids will need electricity to run, which translates to coal or nuclear power in the real world.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:18 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zednemtheadventurer View Post
I campaigned against Obama! I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and he WILL be my president when he is sworn in!
good attitude. while i didn't like the culture war the mccain camp touched on (real america, pro-america, etc...), he gave as gracious a concession speech as could be expected. classy, even if some of his supporters weren't. altho its easier to be gracious if you're the winner. i'm sure if it were the reverse there would be even more ungracious obama supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World