Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:11 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times

Advertisements

I was on an overnight train in India (first class/ air conditioned sleeper car, mind you) and in the front and rear of the car there were, "Western Bathrooms" with a toilet, sink, and toilet paper, then there were Indian Restrooms which were two strips of grip tape (like adhesive sandpaper) with a hole in the floor between them. If you looked into the hole, you could see the tracks passing beneath you. Apparently, you just squat and go.

The most ironic part was that after a few hours into the trip, any even MODERATELY health conscious person would have used the Indian restrooms as the "Western" ones were filthy.

*Edit* didn't see the post on the first page of this thread about Indian trains. Anyway, the story still stands. I preferred the Indian restrooms to the Western ones on the train without hesitation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 02:37 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here is something useful to know. In Middle Eastern countries (not sure if this is an Arab or a Muslim tradition), you always eat using only your right hand. You keep your left hand out of view if you can, and certainly never touch food with it or anything that is on the table. The left hand is for cleaning yourself later, with or without toilet paper, and it would be a horrible affront to other diners to see you using your left hand to eat.
This also happens in many Asian countries and they DO wash their hands after they clean up.
So whats the big deal?

Old 02-05-2009, 08:44 AM

11 posts, read 69,467 times
Default Mexico

This is in a small village near the border of Belize.
Attached Thumbnails
Toilets of the World-dsc01425.jpg  

Old 02-05-2009, 10:44 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightonMan84 View Post
When I saw the thread title I thought it was gonna be a thread about the worst towns/cities you've ever been to (using 'toilets' in a more figurative sense)

On topic, my aunt has a book she bought in Australia, that I can't help looking at every time I visit. It's a picture book of all the weird and wonderful toilets from across Oz. Some very interesting pictures indeed.
I do like the Aussie toilets best. Two buttons to flush. One for when you go #1.. less water is used. The other button is for when you go #2.. more water is used. And the water flushes straight down. I was at a brand new museum in Buffalo, NY and I was surprised they had toilets with this feature.

As for the signs on how to use a toilet, I wish they had those signs at a flight I took on Pakistan Airlines. When I went to use the toilet, I saw foot marks on the toilet seat... and some stuff on the floor.. gross.. and this was business class. On my way back I abstained as much as possible from consuming food or water to avoid using the bathroom. I'd wait until we were an hour or so from landing and I knew that an airport bathroom would soon be available after landing.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:46 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Here is something useful to know. In Middle Eastern countries (not sure if this is an Arab or a Muslim tradition), you always eat using only your right hand. You keep your left hand out of view if you can, and certainly never touch food with it or anything that is on the table. The left hand is for cleaning yourself later, with or without toilet paper, and it would be a horrible affront to other diners to see you using your left hand to eat.
Good one for sharing. Also, you do not show the soles of your feet.. bad form. So when that Iraqi journalist threw his shoes at Bush.. quite the insult.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:40 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
I better be careful where I choose to travel. I would rather miss seeing foreign countryside than use any of those.

Old 02-05-2009, 04:32 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I do like the Aussie toilets best. Two buttons to flush. One for when you go #1.. less water is used. The other button is for when you go #2.. more water is used. And the water flushes straight down. I was at a brand new museum in Buffalo, NY and I was surprised they had toilets with this feature.

As for the signs on how to use a toilet, I wish they had those signs at a flight I took on Pakistan Airlines. When I went to use the toilet, I saw foot marks on the toilet seat... and some stuff on the floor.. gross.. and this was business class. On my way back I abstained as much as possible from consuming food or water to avoid using the bathroom. I'd wait until we were an hour or so from landing and I knew that an airport bathroom would soon be available after landing.
We have one of those here too, i think they're in most places here.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
I still can't get over the fact that some cultures actually wipe with their HAND? Whoa!!!
I can't get over the fact that there are people in America stupid enough not to realize that someone who earns a few dollars a day probably couldn't afford toilet paper; nevermind having the sort of plumbing system that could support the use of toilet paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World