Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2009, 11:53 PM
 
Location: San Salvador, El Salvador
568 posts, read 1,478,237 times
Reputation: 267

Advertisements

I've never heard anyone wanting to live the 'European Dream' or the 'Russian Dream' noone in their right mind would pick Canada over America. How do I know? Look at the population, we been living side by side officially for about 140+ years and they only have a population of 38 million.

So I asked the world, what's your problem with Americans? Let's leave G.W. Bush out of this because he has an approval rating of 27%.

 
Old 01-03-2009, 11:54 PM
 
Location: southern california
61,288 posts, read 87,391,501 times
Reputation: 55562
best country in the world hands down. but to stay that way you cant stay on cruise control forever.
 
Old 01-04-2009, 12:18 AM
 
1,149 posts, read 5,634,052 times
Reputation: 624
A lot of Europeans criticize USA for being too materialistic and fake. European conservatives I've spoken with believe the idea of success is an American concept which is alien to Europe. Most of Europe is more or less socialistic. You're supposed to conform to a group mentality. It's especially the case in Scandinavia with its Jane Law and "lagom" mentality.

I also like the idea of meritocracy which I think is more fair! Look at Singapore. European countries are still stuck in their feodalistic thinking. England is very class obsessed. There's discrimination against certain minority groups in USA too. But you still have the ability to get up.

The likelihood of going from poor underclass to upper class is almost impossible in Europe. America gives hope to ambitious people. But because of a lack of a security net you can fall as fast as you climb. In those situations you need a good family to support you.

America is not for everyone. Lazy people should stay in Europe.
 
Old 01-04-2009, 12:25 AM
 
1,149 posts, read 5,634,052 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
best country in the world hands down. but to stay that way you cant stay on cruise control forever.
There's more competition these days. The information age and globalism is real. I believe it's exaggerated though. I'm mostly concerned with bailing out ineffective companies. It goes against what America is all about. New innovative and creative entrepreneurs should be allowed to lead instead of those that have become comfortable. I just don't believe in government intervention.
Watch
YouTube - Congressman Ron Paul on Bailing Out the Auto Industry

I like Obama's foreign policy more than McCain which I think is too hawkish. Change is meaningless in itself. Having said that I think McCain would have been better economically when it comes to free trade. It remains to be seen what he can accomplish.
 
Old 01-04-2009, 12:26 AM
 
Location: San Salvador, El Salvador
568 posts, read 1,478,237 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
A lot of Europeans criticize USA for being too materialistic and fake. European conservatives I've spoken with believe the idea of success is an American concept which is alien to Europe. Most of Europe is more or less socialistic. You're supposed to conform to a group mentality. It's especially the case in Scandinavia with its Jane Law and "lagom" mentality.

I also like the idea of meritocracy which I think is more fair! Look at Singapore. European countries are still stuck in their feodalistic thinking. England is very class obsessed. There's discrimination against certain minority groups in USA too. But you still have the ability to get up.

The likelihood of going from poor underclass to upper class is almost impossible in Europe. America gives hope to ambitious people. But because of a lack of a security net you can fall as fast as you climb. In those situations you need a good family to support you.

America is not for everyone. Lazy people should stay in Europe.
I had to Wikipedia Jante Law and Lagom. I've learned something new. Thanks for the information!
 
Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 AM
 
1,149 posts, read 5,634,052 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by mental_complex View Post
I had to Wikipedia Jante Law and Lagom. I've learned something new. Thanks for the information!
You're welcome!

These terms are well known in Scandinavia. A lot of people mistake the attitude to life as racism or ethnocentrism, when many times it has nothing to do with that.

I think the mentality is still alive in Seattle and Minneapolis where a significant percentage of the population is of Scandinavian (mostly Swedish and Norwegian) origin. I would say some of their behavior is because of climate. But most of all these people are more prone to embrace an egalitarian system.
 
Old 01-04-2009, 01:56 AM
 
Location: Viña del Mar, Chile
16,391 posts, read 30,920,376 times
Reputation: 16643
Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post

America is not for everyone. Lazy people should stay in Europe.

Made my night.
 
Old 01-04-2009, 05:08 PM
 
101 posts, read 763,411 times
Reputation: 80
I quite agree. I'm currently living in Europe and I've seen the whole "class" thing in many places (England, France etc) but it's not true for all European counties.

America is however a lot more liberal in thinking (not values and all that but thinking). One of the surprising things I noticed in Europe was that Christianity started here but it's funny how very few people actually attend the church. When I was back home, churches were crowded every sunday and people actually took a lot of interest in community programs and stuff. Here I hardly see any of that.

The education standards in Europe are quite good...perhaps even better than America (until college ie.) but despite the good education, they don't really emphasize too much on independent thinking and arriving to a solution with lots of reasoning. Oh well.....I don't want rant about Europe anymoe...I'm slowly beginning to like it here.
 
Old 01-04-2009, 05:58 PM
 
72 posts, read 110,557 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreypete View Post
The education standards in Europe are quite good...perhaps even better than America (until college ie.) but despite the good education, they don't really emphasize too much on independent thinking and arriving to a solution with lots of reasoning. Oh well.....I don't want rant about Europe anymoe...I'm slowly beginning to like it here.
This is the reason why some American expats are going back home, to give their children this kind of education (prolific at least in the West US)
 
Old 01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
 
Location: San Salvador, El Salvador
568 posts, read 1,478,237 times
Reputation: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreypete View Post
I quite agree. I'm currently living in Europe and I've seen the whole "class" thing in many places (England, France etc) but it's not true for all European counties.

America is however a lot more liberal in thinking (not values and all that but thinking). One of the surprising things I noticed in Europe was that Christianity started here but it's funny how very few people actually attend the church. When I was back home, churches were crowded every sunday and people actually took a lot of interest in community programs and stuff. Here I hardly see any of that.

The education standards in Europe are quite good...perhaps even better than America (until college ie.) but despite the good education, they don't really emphasize too much on independent thinking and arriving to a solution with lots of reasoning. Oh well.....I don't want rant about Europe anymoe...I'm slowly beginning to like it here.

I lived in Italy for 16 months, and alot of their citizens finish college and many even have master the degrees. What I found shocking is the unemployment and under employed rate is high. Many Italians work part time and live with their parents until mid 30's. Some don't have jobs at all and never live their parent's house. On top of that, the Airline, Train, Bus, Ferry and Gas Station workers were on strike atleast once every 3 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:45 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top