Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:28 AM

37,205 posts, read 39,473,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
if only i was making things up, it would be so easy wouldn't it? i'm not nearly as arrogant as the things i've heard americans say time and again across so many forums that it's distinctive like a marker. the only reason they don't get as much flak as people just let them get away with it because they do it so often. it gets tiring hearing their stupid crap.

having different climates or topography doesn't equate it to being 'equal' in beauty to everywhere else. that's a qualifier that's a personal stipulation. besides the fact, it doesn't even technically have anything to do with the concept of beauty in the first place. it is arrogant and bigoted as implying everywhere else is equal to in beauty but doesn't surpass.

i didn't contradict anything, several posters here did. since beauty is subjective maybe all the different weather patterns and topography isn't all that beautiful to someone else if that's not what they are looking for. it's how a place makes that person feel, not what they are supposed to like based on someone's practical idea about being able to ski one day and go to the beach another. BESIDES the fact, the topography and weather somewhere else may look more beautiful to them.

http://sevennaturalwonders.org

even the seven natural wonders are not all in north america. of course, the list is subjective too as some will not agree with all of them. if it wasn't for that huge crater in america, it wouldn't even make it on the list.
What you spit out on this forum is heavily skewed by your personal opinions and biases, but you chalk that up to speaking the truth since you feel like you have a hold on honesty that others (i.e. those who you disagree with) do not. How is that not arrogance to an extreme? How is typecasting Americans (three hundred million people shaped by so many different factors) not overbearing and presumptuous? You are arrogant. You fit the definition better than perhaps any other poster I've seen on these boards.

The man certainly didn't deny or negate other people's opinions--he stated his personal preference, his own criteria, and how his choice fulfilled his criteria. You're harping about subjectivity while you ignore his right to his opinions. Did he tell you that you couldn't have a different opinion? Did he tell anyone else that they can't hold on to their own opinions or what? No, absolutely not--that's because there's only one person here with the arrogance to tell other people their opinions are wrong (you rant about him saying what people are supposed to like when he did no such thing, but then go on and tell him what he's not supposed like--oh you poor confused soul!): and that would be you!

As for your link, what does that prove? His criteria was diversity which is well backed-up. I suppose that's a diversity of wonder in it, so that's fine but it's drawn from all over the world. I'm sure if the topic was "Most beautiful planet on Earth," then his answer would change accordingly--as it stands, the topic is the most beautiful country in the world, so he picked one according to his criteria. Why are you trying so hard to twist this into something it's not. On another note, the U.S. is the only country that's host to more than one of the seven natural wonders of the world according to that site, and from two very different climates/regions. Oh, how odd!

Old 05-11-2009, 11:30 AM

37,205 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Just out of curiosity, have you ever lived and worked in another country, leanna? Especially one where you fluently spoke a language that wasn't English?

Old 05-11-2009, 11:47 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,516,176 times
Leanna is just trolling.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:51 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,347,300 times
The problem with the US is that we have such crap in the space between our beautiful natural wonders. The other thing that takes us out of the running is that so many of our historical buildings have been torn down, only to be replaced by malls, Walmarts, and fast food eateries. We are light years from Europe when it comes to architecture and preserving the past.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:37 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,809,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
if only i was making things up, it would be so easy wouldn't it? i'm not nearly as arrogant as the things i've heard americans say time and again across so many forums that it's distinctive like a marker. the only reason they don't get as much flak as people just let them get away with it because they do it so often. it gets tiring hearing their stupid crap.

having different climates or topography doesn't equate it to being 'equal' in beauty to everywhere else. that's a qualifier that's a personal stipulation. besides the fact, it doesn't even technically have anything to do with the concept of beauty in the first place. it is arrogant and bigoted as implying everywhere else is equal to in beauty but doesn't surpass.

i didn't contradict anything, several posters here did. since beauty is subjective maybe all the different weather patterns and topography isn't all that beautiful to someone else if that's not what they are looking for. it's how a place makes that person feel, not what they are supposed to like based on someone's practical idea about being able to ski one day and go to the beach another. BESIDES the fact, the topography and weather somewhere else may look more beautiful to them.

http://sevennaturalwonders.org

even the seven natural wonders are not all in north america. of course, the list is subjective too as some will not agree with all of them. if it wasn't for that huge crater in america, it wouldn't even make it on the list.
I'm so glad in your infinite wisdom you know how every American thinks.You have some serious issues.Some Americans do think the way that you say.It is unfortunate that people ANYWHERE can be so narrow minded.Too label me as arrogant because I said "equal too" is arrogant?Now had I said 'better than"or the greatest in the world I would agree that i should have been berated and chastised accordingly so.My point was every place in the world has beauty beyond belief.Their are things in each of those countries that make them unique in each of their own ways.Therefore when I said "equal to",It was not a jab or a disingenuous remark.It was meant to say that the beauty is so unique in every place, to say that it is as equal to else anywhere in the world than what we have here in the U.S. and its territories,is fair because the differences are subjective .What one defines as beautiful or diverse depends on ones definition of the criteria.You even said it yourself that it is subjective.So what do I have to agree with you?The OP clearly asked opinions.THERE IS NO WRONG ANSWER!!

I am sorry that you hate Americans.O.K., Actually I do not care!!Because you have your mind made up about 300million people and thats what counts to you:To be right.Any case that is your problem so maybe you should see a shrink or something.I do agree that no thanks to our former president and some people with narrow minded views ,it has become harder for people to respect Americans around the world.But instead of labeling everyone as the same and prejudging people based on your negative experiences you should take people on a case by case bases.My advise to you,Take the time to hear and understand what people are saying instead of fulfilling your need to be right even when you are not.

P.S. If you came here to my city I would treat you as an honored guest.How would I be treated if I were a guest in your country?

Last edited by afonega1; 05-11-2009 at 03:48 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
The problem with the US is that we have such crap in the space between our beautiful natural wonders. The other thing that takes us out of the running is that so many of our historical buildings have been torn down, only to be replaced by malls, Walmarts, and fast food eateries. We are light years from Europe when it comes to architecture and preserving the past.
If the criteria to what the definition of beauty goes beyond "natural beauty" is ,then I agree with you.The U.S. could never compete with the castles in Rhineland or the villas in Tuscany.If it is natural beauty, I still think the U.S, overall is the best due to its diversity of landscapes.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:55 PM

605 posts, read 1,843,902 times
Great posts afonega!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken.or.the.nugget View Post
Great posts afonega!!!
Thanks!!

Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,754,028 times
Enough of the foolishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World