Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could you?
Yes 77 85.56%
No 13 14.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:27 AM

16,708 posts, read 17,488,479 times

Advertisements

Could I live in a non English speaking country?

I did.

Texas.

Never got over the time some ex pat Brits ordered water and got given vodka.

I'd have no issues living in a French speaking country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 05:11 PM

81 posts, read 247,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
speaking the language well is not a guarantee of integration. it means you will be tolerated. its the painful lesson usually not learned until 5 years in the country. it means that at some point they tell you oh you speak the language very well, its you we dont like.
hear hear! have seen this more than a few times!

Old 04-29-2009, 05:23 PM

81 posts, read 247,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalinka View Post
To be honest, no, and I think most people who think they can are probably kidding themselves. I've been an expat for years now and the longer you are one, the more annoying it seems to get. Even more annoying because you find you're no longer completely comfortable in your home country, nor are you completely comfortable in your host country. And the fact that, long-term it isn't fun to be an outcast. I have never met a country who would "accept", for instance, a child who was born there, had one native parent and one foreign parent. Nearly always, they will still refer to them by their foreign parents nationality or think it without saying it. The US (Canada and Australia fall into this category too) is a much easier place to be an expat though, because, even though there are plenty of "old American" families, it still is a country based on immigrants or people who are not from there and many people are already somewhat familiar with it beforehand, even though, of course there are bound to be cultural differences. It is a good long-term place to immigrate, whereas many other places are not quite a welcoming for a long-term immigration. I do not mean that as people will not be friendly or essentially racist, but as in: you will never fit in. And it takes a real "gem", one I haven't found yet, that can honestly live with that and smile without it bothering him. Many people say it does not bother them, but you can read it clearly through their actions or speech that it does, at least after a certain amount of time.
indeed! you raise a good point..i've seen an example of what you're saying here in the UK recently with their cricket team. while the going was good they were a british cricket team, when things started going bad suddenly their captain was referred to as 'the south african born...' despite having been in the UK for more than several years. i agree with you wholeheartedly in your points tho, alot of people seem to think you should walk with blinkers in your host country and not notice the prejudices. somehow our paying taxes and being legal immigrants does not entitle us the freedom to critique

Old 08-23-2014, 03:54 AM

11,655 posts, read 13,019,083 times
No way.

A lot of them would be rude just because you can't speak their language. It happened with Germans and my aunt's.

Just visiting these places is enough really.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:59 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,389,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
No way.

A lot of them would be rude just because you can't speak their language. It happened with Germans and my aunt's.

Just visiting these places is enough really.
The whole non-english speaking world are rude because your aunt had problems with some germans.
Is that what you are saying or is it just germans? Is it all germans or just some? Are there no rude people in the english speaking world?

Old 08-23-2014, 08:12 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,465,887 times
Of course.
I already live in non-English speaking country (and have lived here for my whole life) and English is NOT my native language.
Better question would be: 'Could you live in a country where most people don't speak your native language', as native language of quite many people here is not English.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:23 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,352,874 times
I would love to live in a non-English speaking country (Germany and Japan are two I've been thinking about).

I can speak Japanese very informally and am not nearly proficient enough to work in Japan. Learning the language on the fly is what worries me... being able to work without understanding the language. I barely speak any German at all... my grandparents speak it, but it was never passed down and as such I only really speak English fluently.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:32 AM

83 posts, read 114,407 times
Of course I could, and I plan on doing just that next year. That's the quickest way to learn another language.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:38 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,895,357 times
Yes I could if the problem would be mainly the language.
I am not a native speaker and therefore I am bound to learn other languages, no big deal here.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:02 AM

8,877 posts, read 8,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
Better question would be: 'Could you live in a country where most people don't speak your native language', as native language of quite many people here is not English.
Yes I would,totally.

Honestly there are only like three countries that speak Chinese,so basically living in any other country out there is "living in a country where most people don't speak your native language" as I have 0 intention of living in either Singapore or China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World