Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 03:33 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times

Advertisements

The world series of baseball is contested by teams from the AL & NL & one team from Canada. Can anybody tell me how this competition came to be called a WORLD series?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:49 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,318,110 times
Since no one else cares about baseball it is the best teams that is competing.
But they should be playing against cuban and japanese teams.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:53 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
The world series of baseball is contested by teams from the AL & NL & one team from Canada. Can anybody tell me how this competition came to be called a WORLD series?
It was called that before leagues in other countries really became established.

BTW...the one Canadian franchise is part of the American League.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:20 AM

I've been following the world baseball classic which Japan won after beating the US in the semi-finals. Also Korea won the baseball gold medal in 2008. It looks as though the US does'nt do very well in actual world competitions.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I've been following the world baseball classic which Japan won after beating the US in the semi-finals. Also Korea won the baseball gold medal in 2008. It looks as though the US does'nt do very well in actual world competitions.
There's always a debate as to whether the U.S. fields its best players. For one, many good American players don't want to play in the WBC for fear of injury and how that would impact their ability to earn the big contract in MLB. Second, American baseball players don't take as seriously playing for their national team, unlike those from the Asian and Latin American nations. We've had similar issues in basketball, although we seem to have righted that in time for the Beijing games. There's certainly not a culture of national play here like there is in international soccer.

All that said, it's also reality that Japan and Korea have developed very good baseball players that are on par with the best from the U.S. and Latin America. I look for more Ichiros, Matsuis, Matzusakas and Parks playing here in the future.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:07 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
The first World Series was played in 1903, back when people weren't as prone to question highfalutin titles like that, and when it's fair to say that most Americans reckoned baseball a purely home-grown and home-played sport. (Neither was necessarily correct; just telling you how they saw it.)

And if they tried changing its name today, that should trigger the second Civil War, beginning with numerous lynchings and impalements of league bigwigs and team owners who would vote to thus mutilate tradition. (Probably would be good for baseball anyway.) Unfortunately, these days there just isn't any passion. So I'm sure one of these days they will change its name, and it'll be like the designated hitter rule: a few hardcore people will complain loudly, but the change will happen anyway.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:19 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
If I remember right it was named the "World Series" after some newspaper with "World" in the title or something like that. I'm not 100% on this, but I think I remember hearing something about it.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 AM

Being picked to play for ones country should be the greatest accolade a athlete can recieve, and to play at less than 100% when wearing the shirt would be an absolute disgrace.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:35 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,954,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
If I remember right it was named the "World Series" after some newspaper with "World" in the title or something like that. I'm not 100% on this, but I think I remember hearing something about it.
snopes.com: World Series

This site seems to say. That it wasn't named after the New York World newspaper? But rather because the series winner was considered to be the "World's Champion".

Old 04-14-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Being picked to play for ones country should be the greatest accolade a athlete can recieve, and to play at less than 100% when wearing the shirt would be an absolute disgrace.
I agree with your statement. Unfortunately, too many of our athletes are greedy and pampered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World