U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 08:12 PM

20,274 posts, read 23,808,805 times

Advertisements

I'm just crazy about bowl-shaped cities, the deeper the bowl the better, surrounded by steep hills or mountains. Cities like Santiago, Chile or Los Angeles don't qualify as one or more sides of the bowl are missing.

Some of my favorites include: Tegucigalpa/Honduras, La Paz/Bolivia, Quito/Ecuador, Matagalpa/Nicaragua, and, surprisingly, Las Vegas/Nevada, mostly in the winter when the mountains to the west are snow-capped.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 11:00 PM

16,087 posts, read 38,415,608 times
I didn't notice that so much at all when I've been to Las Vegas or when I was in Quito.

LA PAZ however, is the only seriously bowl-shaped city I know of in the truest sense of the word. It cries out bowl-shaped, and really quite amazing as you descend from the upper edges into the city, with city lights down below absolutely everywhere.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:29 PM

And, on a clear day, with snow-capped Mt. Illimani? looming over the city, it's a sight to behold! There IS a break in the bowl as you descend in altitude to Moon Valley where so many of the rich people live. Why? Unlike so many cities where the rich live on the steepest hills for the views, in La Paz, they go furthur down for altitude relief, you're dropping some 1000 feet or more to Moon Valley. They can breathe a little easier down there. El Alto, with the Airport, is at 13,500 feet, so in this city, the poor on the edge of the cliffs have the better views as they huff and puff.

The disadvantage Las Vegas has is the bowl is too wide, some 40-50 miles from the bottom of one bowl to the other.

Last edited by tijlover; 04-14-2009 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: Add line

Old 04-15-2009, 12:17 AM

16,087 posts, read 38,415,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
There IS a break in the bowl as you descend in altitude to Moon Valley where so many of the rich people live. Why? Unlike so many cities where the rich live on the steepest hills for the views, in La Paz, they go furthur down for altitude relief, you're dropping some 1000 feet or more to Moon Valley. They can breathe a little easier down there.
PLUS...in general, EVERYWHERE in South America, in ALL of the cities, the poor people live way out on the city edges, and the wealthy almost always inhabit the inner areas with close proximity to everything.

Actually I think that is a general rule with just about everywhere except the United States. It just makes La Paz seem much more odd that they do the same as everyone else in the world, but in our American minds, if you are wealthy, you are getting far from the city core and building with the views. But to them, it means they have to get up and down the mountains with all the poor infrastructure, etc.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:53 AM

23,883 posts, read 67,545,753 times
My hometown is surrounded by mountains,but I wouldn't call it pretty.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 17,258 times
Hmmm i think Lycekil in southern Sweden is something special!!! I loved that town! its around 100km from goteborg!

Old 04-15-2009, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 18,377 times
Mexico city: I think it's the most intresting bowlcity in mexico despite the fact people think it's slum filled smoggy hell hole

Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 AM

186 posts, read 748,762 times
Caracas, Venezuela is a beautiful bowl-shaped city. Stunning to see at night encircled by millions of twinkling lights. Sadly, once you realise what the twinkling lights at the rim of the bowl are, it's not so delightful any longer.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:12 AM

3,347 posts, read 4,339,181 times
And the air pollution over bowl-shaped cities??

Old 04-19-2009, 08:57 PM

Air pollution is to be expected in bowl-shaped cities. Las Vegas is blessed with lots of wind that blows it all out of the valley, but without that wind we'd be choking a good part of the year and we wouldn't be able to see the mountains. I particularly enjoy the cities where the housing climbs up the hills of the bowl, and at night, you're surrounded by all these lights. It's beautiful!

I'm sure there are days, even in smoggy Mexico City, after some strong winds came through the bowl, where it's absolutely breathtaking to look up from the bowl. The times I've been in Mexico City the smog obscured the views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World