Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 06:27 PM

34 posts, read 101,036 times

Advertisements

@WanderingFoot: India might be a challenge, unless you're willing to live in the much more Westernized new housing developments. Your English will get you far there, but I always encourage learning the local/national language, and it will endear you. Anywhere you move to will be a novelty, but livability is key.

In Central America, Costa Rica is probably the most stable and easiest to live in--yes, I know you've probably heard/read this a 1000 times. Most places you mentioned won't be in the Mercer surveys (Mercer Quality of Living global city rankings 2009), so read expatriates' comments/blogs about the various countries you're interested in.

Practical advice: take an extended vacation (minimum 3 weeks, up to several months) in the city/place you'd like to seriously consider living in long term. And rent before buying. Consider renting long term (years). Good luck!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 02:42 AM

5 posts, read 26,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've thought this through extensively, and come to the conclusion that owning property in one's HOME country is essential...and the rent you'd made off of that, you could supplement yourself to live in another country...and if a person was of retired age with retirement money, that would help out immensily as well.

I see a lot of Europeans run businesses in third world countries...usually marry a local and settle in for the long haul. Germans seem to come to mind the most.

When I was in the Philippines, tons of europeans, previous u.s. soldiers, and I did see quite a few older retired Americans as well who had their retirement checks coming in.
Good insights. Even if one has personally checked out the retirement place and the visa procedure to be able to qualify for long stay in other countries, one has to keep their home and rent it out instead. The rent is an added income to ones pension.

I know of a German who developed a beach resort in Camarines Sur, Philippines. He is doing well. Not far from this German's resort is my beachfront property. My Australian neighbor has his villa for 10 years now. He built cottages to rent out in the summer.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:38 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,078,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Philippines was a lot less...I think something around $100,000 investors visa..something like that.

Still though, I think a person really needs to spend time in a country on their tourist visas, even if they do several visa runs, and try to get a feel for a country.

Seems like too many people feel the need to just sell everything they own, and go buy something else sight-unseen from the internet or whatever...which is basically one of the least responsible things a person could ever do with their money.
Totally!
People do the same thing even within the US-move from NYC or SFO to the woods in the middle of the country b/c they are fed up.
Same with moving abroad-very dramatic and short sighted-fed up with things today,type of moves.

Things will change;they always do,and you want to have more options in moving abroad. You don't do it to create fewer options for yourself.

Totally agree with your point.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:44 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,078,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingFoot View Post
Has anyone spent time in India... like several months to a year? We're aware of the poverty issue, but so many Indians here in Seattle for a number of years, working for M$, then going back home, and yes, we are also aware of other issues, and that we would stick out, being white. But we are interested in spending time there, just exploring, not doing the usual "hit the hotspot tourist places and leave" sort of thing. Maybe renting a place near Goa for a while, then heading upcountry, but nowhere near Pakistan. (I am a bit nervous about the whole border area). We love Indian food, movies, and we have studied the culture, and we'd love to have a relatively safe time in-country, maybe 3-6 months, but we know no one who has done this.

I loved the Uruguay/Argentina area, though if we spent significant time there, would consider Atlantida area outside Montevideo for living...BA too expensive, and we are generally the self-entertaining types. I pick up languages fairly easily, and Spanish is easy (I found UY Spanish is heavily mixed with Italian words and phrases). I don't know about Hindi. Hubby spent quite a bit of time in Central America in the 80's, prior to our meeting/marriage, and loved it.

He's retiring as a teacher next year... we have NO interest in going to another country and then sequestering ourselves in an American/English enclave... we are adaptable folks, interested in learning as much as possible about other cultures and ideologies, so long as it is not life threatening.
We have already tried living high altitude... I can't (altitude sickness that does not go away, even after 10 months), so I must live sea level or up to 3500 ft above, no higher, was medical recommendation. Otherwise, we are good... boiling heat is not good, but a breeze helps, and proximity to some sort of water, either ocean, clean river, or large lake, is a desire.

Suggestions from others?
I think Mexico would still have some options for you.
It's a big country.
Cuernavaca,Guanajuato,etc.
There are some americans/europeans,and you dont have to sequester yourself,but it will be nice to have ohters who understand yoru mindset at times,and who speak english are a first language. Esp. if you are thinking about living there beyond a few years time.

Other than that,Chile-first world nearly,clean,great infrastructure,and there are areas of low altitude that are habitable/nice. many of them. including patagonia,which would give you some areas with seattle-like weather.

Maybe panama,but i'm not sure how quickly the altitude comes and goes there with mountains and valleys and it's a small country. look into it.

I hear colombia is fantastic,too. medellin,cali,etc. modern cities with alot of amenities and full on colombian culture.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:28 AM

1 posts, read 907 times
Wink Looking at Panama to live

Have looked at Panama - in the mountains - a place called Las Tablas. It is out of the big city and not a lot of people live there. I would only live there for about five years. I have a handicapped child who is an adult. The social system in the USA will be going through some very serious times with money and services. I want him out of the picture until I see how all the changes take place.
Has anyone ever been to this place?

Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 PM

21 posts, read 77,470 times
Quote:
In 10-30 years, there is a reasonable chance that the US will join the ranks of third world countries, while some third world countries might not be a cheap as one would expect
No, it will be an empire in wane. Think about Britain at it's peak vs Britain now. The US will go the same route.

I'm looking at Argentina. The vast majority of the population is still of white European descent. At least it's economy is solid and it'll get spillover from Brazil's wildly speculative (i.e. looks good on the surface) transition through industrialization. Chile and Ecuador aren't looking bad either.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:08 PM

230 posts, read 906,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe26 View Post
No, it will be an empire in wane. Think about Britain at it's peak vs Britain now. The US will go the same route.

I'm looking at Argentina. The vast majority of the population is still of white European descent. At least it's economy is solid and it'll get spillover from Brazil's wildly speculative (i.e. looks good on the surface) transition through industrialization. Chile and Ecuador aren't looking bad either.

I´m not sure if I would say Brazil is having a transition through industrialization. It is going through a wildly speculative period for sure, but it is more oil and commodity speculation. Brazil really industrialized in the 1950´s and 1960´s although very unevenly. I would say now it is more of a "petrolization". In addition, you may want to take a second look at how solid the Argentine economy really is. I love Argentina. I would live there if I could, but economic stability has never been its strong point. Yes they say the economy is growing at 10% a year but inflation is high by unofficial estimates and Argentina has also been riding the commodities boom. Argentina has been in relative economic decline for more than half a century. It used to be the first world but has not put any of the reforms needed to make it permanently stable. That being said, if you have an outside source of income it would be a great place to live. You could also look at the south of Brazil if you want a place that is majority white. Many great little towns with people who still speak German, Italian, Ukranian, ect. Actually I think there are more people of Northern European decent in the south of Brazil than in Argentina (Argentina is mostly Spanish and Italian) so if you are blond northern Euro looking you might actually stand out less there than in Argentina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World