Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:34 AM

597 posts, read 1,298,210 times

Advertisements

I am brazilian and I live Rio de Janeiro one of most beautiful city of world.
We have much natural beauties like beach, mountain, etc...
We are a country with nice people, we have not earthquake, hurricanes, volcano, etc... we live peacefully with all people around the world. There is nothing to worry about.
Any people who visit us love our country because we are welcomer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 08:58 PM

159 posts, read 531,985 times
I was born and raised in Virginia Beach, Virginia on the Eastern seaboard of the United States. Theres 7 independent cities that make up Hampton Roads and Virginia Beach is the largest and easternmost one with about 480,000 residents. It sits on the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay and boarders the Atlantic Ocean. We have numerous tributaries, lakes, and salt marshes. WATER is EVERYWHERE!! So much so that our area has FOUR underwater tunnels. We're home of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, the longest bridge tunnel in the world. Our local economy is very dependent on water.

Virginia Beach is a HUGE tourist destination. We have miles and miles of beaches, hotels, motels, gift shops, and restaurants. We have the biggest pleasure beach in the world, and a pretty cool boardwalk that along the beach. We host the East Coast Surfing Championship, and the American Sand Soccer (football for all you Europeans lol) Games. We host one of the few American Music Festivals, and get a lot of great national music performers. Seafood is HUGE here, especially blue crabs. Lot of outdoor festivals like the Neptune Festival. Most things culturally involve the beach one way or another. Very laid back people, and flip flops are allowed to be worn in November.

It's very suburban, and a bedroom community to Norfolk, Va (Largest navy base in the world) which is the area's "city" city. Virginia Beach is not very urban at all, although we're currently building a "Town Center" and so far has two "high rise" buildings.

Most people live in a single house with a yard, an apartment, condo, or townhouse. No public transportation, every drives a vehicle or takes the HRT bus.

We house 3 military bases, which contributes to our city's high transient nature. People are almost moving here and moving out, which makes my city very diverse. The people here are from all walks of life, but the city's still pretty conservative and republican.

Even though it's in the South it does'nt feel very southern at all. It's not as fast paced as New York but not as slow as Alabama. Historically The NE point of the city is the site of the first English colonists (who settled jamestown) landing in the new world. In the same area is the Cape Henry Lighthouse.

Our climate is pretty mild for the most part.

The summer months of july and august are oppressively hot and HUMID. Usually in the high 80's and 90's and soemtimes over 100 degrees F. The air can get so thick, you feel like you can cut it with a knife. Sometimes it's hard to breathe! You go outside and you can feel the lotion melt off your legs!We get a thunderstorm almost every afternoon in the summer that usually lasts for an hour or so. We get hurricanes every now and then but they're rarely as bad as in Florida. We're overdue for "the big one" though.

Winter can be quite cold, but most of the time the day high isnt below 40 degrees F. We do get a cold snap on occassion, and sometimes it will snow but its never more than an inch or two. When it does get cold, it gets COLD because of our proximity to so much water. To add to that the wind from the water in the winter is bone chilling.

Spring is CRAZY. One day it will be 50 degrees F and the next it will be 80 degrees F. It rains alot in the spring, especially in April. March is really windy. May is pretty pleasant. Spring time isnt as humid as the summer, but we do get thunderstorms in the spring. It's like when the season is changing, everythings clashing and everything just random temperature wise. Spring came way late this year

Fall is cool and crisp towards the end but the earlier part is still pretty warm. Temps range from 60's to 70's usually.

Again our weather is reallt bizzare and can change to the total opposite in the same day! One time i remember it was very warm out. A cold front pushed through and snowed that same afternoon. It's crazy lol.

I love where I live though, mainly because of all the WATER! I love the beach, i love to swim, fish, go boating, canoing, kayaking, tubing. Me and my friends all go to the beach in the afternoons and lounge around, drink, eat, fish, and swim.

I can go on and on about Virginia Beach. I love it here

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 05-13-2009 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: do not post copyrighted images

Old 05-17-2009, 11:05 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,519,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
What sort of job do you have that is not portable to another country or even another part of France more atuned to your needs ?

Well, it's a long story and off topic, anyway.
I'll just give you a hint : it may sound self-deprecating, but fact is I have one of those typical French jobs where one is well paid to do next to nothing (see where I'm driving at...) , if I headed to Roissy, I'd be obliged to "roll up my sleeves" (as a fellow Frenchman you see what I mean) for a meager salary, because I have no specialty to speak of...but thanks for caring anyway, I appreciate,there is a real community spirit on USCD!

i second your last sentence, first.

and then i would hope for a closer and deeper consideration given to europe's people(s) as they are paying an enormous price for a unification in progress. and too many people have come under unfathomable pressure.

that's not what tourists in a hurry to visit and sightsee usually want to detect.

btw. i live in beautiful southern bavaria, in one of europe's oldest cities.
great past, culturally alive, and yet seen as a place hardly attractive for intellectuals and artists. and such does have consequences, mooseketeer, you will understand, i trust.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:35 PM

860 posts, read 2,055,924 times
I live in a little cabin on a remote island in southeast Alaska. It's springtime here, the whales are coming home, the king salmon are heading for the river, the deer are browsing on new blueberry brush in my yard, the bears are waking up and munching on roots and the kids are out of school this week to work on their parent's fising boats. My world is busy with getting the woodshed refilled, smoking salmon, harvesting medicine roots & greens and planting my vegetable garden. It's been a long winter but was worth the wait!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:01 AM

159 posts, read 531,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
I live in a little cabin on a remote island in southeast Alaska. It's springtime here, the whales are coming home, the king salmon are heading for the river, the deer are browsing on new blueberry brush in my yard, the bears are waking up and munching on roots and the kids are out of school this week to work on their parent's fising boats. My world is busy with getting the woodshed refilled, smoking salmon, harvesting medicine roots & greens and planting my vegetable garden. It's been a long winter but was worth the wait!
That's awesome! I've always wanted to visit Alaska! I don't know if I could handle the cold though

Old 05-21-2009, 10:00 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,405 times
I was raised in one of the Best Cities in the World, New York City. To be more specific i grew up in the boro of Manhattan but lived in the Bronx for a year. Manhattan as we all know is 22 sq mi island. Reaches density of up to 70,000 or more. One of the Most Urban places in the World. It is the largest city in the US. And 3rd or fourth Largest city in the world depending on how you look at it. Theres so much to tell but im not im just going to post a website that sums up everything.

Manhattan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-21-2009, 10:35 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,604 times
I'm from the US, and have lived in various parts of the US, and Europe, but currently I'm in Cartagena, Colombia.

There are plusses and minuses to living here. B/c it's located on the Colombian coast, in the Caribbean, it's hot and humid all of the time. The winters (dry season) are very pleasant, but the summers (rainy season) are brutal.

It's a nice place to visit as a tourist, b/c the city itself is historical, in that a wall was built around the city as a fortress, to keep invaders at bay. This protected the city, and so most of the colonial structures are still standing. It's quite picturesque. And of course, there's the ocean, the beaches, the local people, and wonderful tropical fruit.

The problem with living here tho is if you are used to organization (like in the US or Germany, let's say), you will not find it here. And you will get forever frustrated with the inability to get things done, fixed, documented, etc, unless you grease a few palms along the way. Also, the lack of amenities (parks, museums, sports, variety of food, etc) makes it tough, esp. with little kids.

Things have really improved in the last few yrs, and finally we have a mall, which has a kiddy play area. And the grocery stores are selling lemons for the 1st time ever since a few months ago. So like I said, it's a great place to visit, and you can really sloooooooow life down here a lot, but if you're used to everything functioning "properly", and the conveniences of modern day living, this may not be the place you want to live.

Btw, not all of Colombia is like this. Some areas, more impoverished, are worse. Others, with more affluent people, are way better - like Bogota, and Medellin. Medellin is absolutely WONDERFUL! Stunningly beautiful countryside, a 70-80 deg. F all the time, lots to do and see, great shopping, lots of cool parks for the kids....

Old 05-24-2009, 01:50 AM

154 posts, read 662,283 times
I live in a little town in the South of Germany. We have a lot of nice landscape, shopping possibilities, inquiring neighbors :-) and even a very good Baseball Team (Heidekoepfe) and an American Football Team (Highlanders).

Winter is getting cold here, some seasons we have lots of snow and some we don't have it, it's just cold. Summer is getting really nice around 90°F in July and August.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:58 AM

651 posts, read 779,871 times
Hello,

I lives in Brussels the capital of Belgium

Officiële website van de Stad Brussel - De webcam op de Grote Markt van Brussel

Old 05-24-2009, 10:41 PM

288 posts, read 851,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I live in Seattle, Washington State, USA.
Seattle is considered one of the most beautiful cities in the world and is also nicknamed "The Emerald City". There are many natural wonders in the area. Culturally, Seattle is home to many different ethnicities and many European cultures who settled here cling to tradition. Musically, the area is known for bringing Jimi Hendrix to fame. The people of Seattle - Seattleites - are among the most educated in the US. Seattle also boasts one of the lowest crime rates in the USA for a major metropolitan area.
I am really enjoying everyone's posts, but I find that most of them are a little more balanced than this one, in that they offer both pros and cons. You sound almost like you're a real estate agent . . . are you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World