Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 05:00 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

I have to say I have never had a bad Pizza in Naples or Sicily. The one bad pizza in Italy I remember was in Venice but then again being such a touristy place they can get away with murder.

I love the fact that ,most Italians keep their Pizzas ultra-simple and use only the best ingredients. The passata used as a base is made from sun ripened tomatoes so there is a sweetness to it, the Mozarella di Bufala is creamy and soft but not fatty and salty like cheap mozarella and used sparsely and only a hand ful of herbs to add a little bit of "oomph". Thin crust and wood fired , heaven !

I actually hate most non Italian pizzas with way too many ingredients, too salty, to fatty and I loathe things like deep-pan. My grand-mother's second husband was Italian and a great cook and I have so many great memories of wonderful fresh pizzas in Italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 11:34 AM

455 posts, read 1,018,435 times
From my experience: Naples, NYC, and Chicago are the tops.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:13 AM

14 posts, read 93,166 times
OBVIOUSLY Italian pizza, neapolitan pizza to be precise.
And i have like a heart attack when i go abroad and see how pizza is made. They put like everything on it but making pizza is an art.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:47 PM

63 posts, read 307,893 times
Italian pizza and according to my own experience in New York.
In London you have very good places too.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:59 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
The best tasting pizza I have ever had was in Austria and Croatia, of all places. Something about the flour and water in Europe that makes things taste better. I was surprised at how good the pizza in Croatia was, but then realized they share a border and a sea with Italy.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,161 times
Italy, of course. I cannot believe how the famous NYC pizza is so overrated. And I am not talking about take away/chain restaurants, even in Italian places the pizza is not that good. It's been said that grimaldi's is the best place to eat pizza in NYC at, and ok, it's better than other places, but not as good as Neapolitan pizza. The pizza's dough needs to be thin and crisp, not thick as it's made in most restaurants.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Il Padrino in Perth, Australia. The best. Nunzio Nici is the owner, pizza maker. He built the wood-fired oven with his own hands.

So good he was judged the best in the world by the Sicilian Pizza Association. He was asked to make pizza for the Pope. The last one. Pavarotti too.

Little dive, not fancy. Amazing pizza. I've had it in NYC, Chicago, Italy. Sorry, close but no cigar. Nunzio makes pizza good enough for the angels.

WA represents! Padrino, I've eaten at quite a few Italian places but I don't recall if I've eaten there. Is that in the CBD? Australia has one of the strongest Italian influences anywhere outside Europe so it would make sense there are a lot of great pizza places.

The only American style pizza I've had is Dominos or Pizza Hut, so I guess that's not a good representation. I just have the idea that American Pizza is generally pretty lousy...then again I have tried 'New York' style pizza in Melbourne from this place and it was pretty good.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:17 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Italy, of course. I cannot believe how the famous NYC pizza is so overrated. And I am not talking about take away/chain restaurants, even in Italian places the pizza is not that good. It's been said that grimaldi's is the best place to eat pizza in NYC at, and ok, it's better than other places, but not as good as Neapolitan pizza. The pizza's dough needs to be thin and crisp, not thick as it's made in most restaurants.
Its called New York style Pizza. If its suppose to be like Neapolitan then thy would make it that way.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:14 PM

69 posts, read 228,991 times
Naples, for goodness sake! Where else? After that, most other places in Italy. Pizza in the USA is like hot bread with canned tomatoes spilled over it. The Brazilian thing sounds interesting. Never tried pizza there.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:25 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleandoften View Post
Naples, for goodness sake! Where else? After that, most other places in Italy. Pizza in the USA is like hot bread with canned tomatoes spilled over it. The Brazilian thing sounds interesting. Never tried pizza there.
Thats a bit generalizing. Have you been to every single pizza shop in this country or any other country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World