Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 01:23 PM

278 posts, read 621,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
All I am going to say is, people should take pride in their own culture and not try to latch onto someone else's. Latin Americans should embrace their African and/or Native American roots and the rich contributions to their culture in addition to the Spanish, rather than trying to latch themselves onto Italians or other Southern Europeans who, for the most part, would not recognize a kinship with them.
1) America is the new world. All the American countries are populated by immigrants (european, asian, african) and native American.

2) Latin Americans are the same as US nationals, new worlders, the language is other but still, same young countries populated by people from all over the world.

3) Spanish/Portuguese speaking Americans do embrace their roots, and Canadians too. That's why you won't find hyphenated people in America (excluding the United States).

4) Nobody is trying to latch themselves onto Italians, the OP who started the thread is a US national.

5) About your last sentence? in which world do you live in? More than 2/3 of the Italians living outside Italy are located in Argentina, Uruguay, and Brazil. Maybe those brown fake "Italians" from Jersey do not recognize kinship with that region, but true Italians from Italy do recognize kinship with the southern cone of the American continent.

The term "Hispanics" is annoying, where is Hispanic land located?

Last edited by Venezuelan; 05-27-2011 at 01:56 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 01:50 PM

278 posts, read 621,802 times
Quote:
Or Greek either.

And I guess with mixed-race Latin Americans, since they're already of Spanish and/or Portuguese descent, claiming those stopped being interesting so they decide to move on to Italians.

But the fact remains.. no Europeans feel much kinship with any of these groups so their attempts are futile.
The average Italian feels more related to MESSI than to PAULY D from Jersey Shores (who looks more like a dark version of Muammar Gadafi).

It really bugs you the fact that Italian Americans are more prevalent in the southern cone of the continent. That is so weird.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:29 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,514,622 times
they both got nice ladies
http://thankyoubasedgod.com/forum/images/smilies/New/smug_russell.gif (broken link)

Old 05-27-2011, 04:45 PM

614 posts, read 3,210,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
It really bugs you the fact that Italian Americans are more prevalent in the southern cone of the continent. That is so weird.
Actually I said that Argentina and Brazil are closely connected.. I mean even Argentinian Spanish has an Italian intonation and some lexical influences, how couldn't you acknowledge it?

I was arguing that Caribbean Hispanics like Dominicans, and almost pure-Amerindian Central Americans should stop acting like Italians are "their people". Does the average Mexican American, likely a mestizo, have any connection with Italy? Hardly. Most US Hispanics are not of Argentinian descent or from Uruguay, and Brazilians aren't Hispanic either.

Last edited by virulentpeach; 05-27-2011 at 05:57 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 10:47 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,621,549 times
Quote:
Actually I said that Argentina and Brazil are closely connected.. I mean even Argentinian Spanish has an Italian intonation and some lexical influences, how couldn't you acknowledge it?

I was arguing that Caribbean Hispanics like Dominicans, and almost pure-Amerindian Central Americans should stop acting like Italians are "their people". Does the average Mexican American, likely a mestizo, have any connection with Italy? Hardly. Most US Hispanics are not of Argentinian descent or from Uruguay, and Brazilians aren't Hispanic either.
I have never noticed that Dominicans or Central Americans act like Italians are "their people." Care to give examples?

Old 05-27-2011, 11:07 PM

614 posts, read 3,210,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc85 View Post
I have never noticed that Dominicans or Central Americans act like Italians are "their people." Care to give examples?
I've known Mexicans who like to pretend they're Italian. Most of them who do this are racially insecure, and are the ones who don't like to acknowledge their Native American roots..

My point is everyone should just take pride in what they are.. unless the thread starter actually HAS Italian heritage, then Italians are not "his people" and unless he's Argentinian or from a part of Brazil with substantial cultural legacy from Italian immigrants, chances are the cultural bonds are simply Catholicism, Romance language etc. which isn't any more substantial than they would share with say, France.

The thread starter said "I'm Latino and when I think of the Italians I've met it feels like they're almost my people in a way. It seems like there's not so much differences."

Chances are this person is racially insecure and wishes there were not differences but they're missing the essential; most Latin Americans, and most Hispanic Americans for that matter, are mixed race and it's obvious in their features.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I've known Mexicans who like to pretend they're Italian. Most of them who do this are racially insecure, and are the ones who don't like to acknowledge their Native American roots..

My point is everyone should just take pride in what they are.. unless the thread starter actually HAS Italian heritage, then Italians are not "his people" and unless he's Argentinian or from a part of Brazil with substantial cultural legacy from Italian immigrants, chances are the cultural bonds are simply Catholicism, Romance language etc. which isn't any more substantial than they would share with say, France.

The thread starter said "I'm Latino and when I think of the Italians I've met it feels like they're almost my people in a way. It seems like there's not so much differences."

Chances are this person is racially insecure and wishes there were not differences but they're missing the essential; most Latin Americans, and most Hispanic Americans for that matter, are mixed race and it's obvious in their features.
Funny that when I asked you to give an example from a Dominican or Central American you gave me one from a Mexican.....but whatever....

And I get what you are saying, but in my personal experience, I seem to see more Hispanics refering to the Spanish as one of "their" people, not Italian. In a way they are kinda correct, but yes, most are of some indengious mix. I have never seen a Hispanic say an Italian is "their" people, unless they are of actually mixed Hispanic/Italian background.

And just for the record, I do see some similarities in Italian and Hispanics/Latinos but I would never use them interchangeably.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:50 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Jmus

Ninety percent of Hispanics living in the US are mestizo Mexicans, such a fact does NOT imply that ALL Hispanics are Mestizo Mexicans. Capisce?

I bet there are Italian descendants in Mexico, but not many and I don't think they live in the US.

Most Italian descendants live in the Southern Cone, Brazil and Venezuela.

They live in South America, another continent located in the south.

The number of Italian descendants is far higher than those in the US.

Last edited by Manolón; 05-28-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 12:56 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,106,766 times
Quote:
Yes. And if you want my honest opinion, the thread starter probably wasn't really looking to hear about similarities between Latin America and Italy.. they probably are racially insecure and wanted to get a pat on the back from everyone that a European nation may be very similar to their own, so they could go on and feel more European and distance themselves from their non-European roots. Trust me, I have seen this before.
----

And there are perhaps 50 to 70 million South Americans that want to stress their Italian roots. They are not insecure since they can trace their people to Italy, more so than the Italian immigration in the US.

Argentina, for example, is far more Italian than Spanish and 55 percent are direct descendants of Italians, they speak with an Italian accent, they eat polenta, pizza and their own pasta.

And yes, Italians, and many Spanish like myself, feel that Latin America is a place far more similar to Spain or Italy 50 years ago than modern day Spain and Italy. That's why a lot of Italians and Spanish are retiring in those countries and many feel more at home there.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Jmus

Ninety percent of Hispanics living in the US are mestizo Mexicans, such a fact does NOT imply that ALL Hispanics are Mestizo Mexicans. Capisce?

Most Italian descendants live in the Southern Cone, Brazil and Venezuela.

They live in South America, another continent located in the south.

The number of Italian descendants is far higher than those in the US.
You are full of BS.

Ninety percent of Hispanics in the US are not even Mexican, much less mestizo. That number is closer to 60-70%. And the mestizo part, I'm not sure but I doubt it is that high.

I never questioned the high number of Italians in the southern cone. I know this. The question was to the person who asked why do Hispanics (in the US) feel the need to compare themselves to Italians. And I answered I have never seen this comparison...

And Why are you calling me out on this? When did I ever say it applied to all Mexicans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World