Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2011, 01:08 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,093,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not like Prince, more like Obama. And I have seen Sicilians who are as dark as I am.
----

Sicilians are white as they can be.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
Spaniards and Italians are similar

Some Latin Americans mostly in South America have Italian ancestry

U.S latinos? I don't think so.... most are Americanized Mexican and puerto ricans, maybe they are similar to Italian Americans in some ways.... I don't know.

----

Yes, only Latins in South Florida.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Actually, you wouldn't be technically be Japanese, as there is no birthright citizenship in Japan. There are people who were born and raised in Japan whose parents and grandparents were born and raised in Japan who are still not citizens of Japan.

Anyway, I was referring to southern Italians/Sicillians whose skin color is dark. I'm sure they are mixed with African, but it's a mixture that occurred hundreds of years ago, not due to recent migration from, say, Ghana.

----

Lucario

Wrong, they don't have African blood. They are not mixed with Africans.
Black people in this part of the world were testimonial as late as ten years ago.
I used to visit Italy a lot some 35 years ago and there was not a single black, just a few Ethiopians brought by the Duce during the 30's.
Just as Spain, the only blacks in Spain during the 50's and 60's were Machin and Legra.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Actually, there are Cuban dishes (fufu, amala) that have no connection whatsoever with Spain.
----

Not the ingredients, but cooking methods yes.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
All I am going to say is, people should take pride in their own culture and not try to latch onto someone else's. Latin Americans should embrace their African and/or Native American roots and the rich contributions to their culture in addition to the Spanish, rather than trying to latch themselves onto Italians or other Southern Europeans who, for the most part, would not recognize a kinship with them.

---

They'll do it that the same day that Americans stop calling themselves "Italian-Americans", "Polish-Americans", etc.

Many millions in Latin America have no African or Native roots, just as there are some people in the US with no Indian or Black blood that are even capable of tracing their ancestry to Europe and speaking their language.

Yes, Italy recognizes kinship granting Italian citizenship to fourth generation Italians born in Latin America, Spain does the same to second generation Spanish born in Latin America.

And yes, Italy and Latin America are very similar, and it does not have anything to do with race, but with culture, religion and history. Latin culture since Rome is not based in race, but in culture and "civilizatio". Germanic based societies are still based in "tribum", tribes, such societies are still tribal, not "civilized".

Roman (Latin) "Civilizatio" involved putting different tribes in a city (civites) so they become ONE under Roman culture and religion, eliminating tribes and removing them from mountains and fortifications. Spain followed the same approach in America.

Last edited by Manolón; 05-28-2011 at 01:41 PM..

Old 05-28-2011, 02:42 PM

73 posts, read 113,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Do you guys feel Italians and Hispanics have some similarities? I'm Latino and when I think of the Italians I've met it feels like they're almost my people in a way. It seems like there's not so much differences. What do you think?
There are many similarities to Latin American and Italian culture. I feel the same as you do. The issues are those who have European ancestry 500+ years ago and try to so desperately to hold on to that and claim they are European. It's as if they are embarrassed to be born in Latin America and are trying to hold on to something distinguished.......being European. In my family we eat lasagna on Sunday, spaghetti, rice and beans......but we are not trying to claim we are the same as our ancestors. We are not ashamed of what we are, quite the opposite, we are very proud. We have traced our ancestry to Spain and Portugal 5 generations ago, but it's part of family history, we don't dwell on great, great, great, great, great grandpa.

But, you have a few countries in Latin America and the Caribbean who really are ashamed of where they were born. Those are the Cubans, Argentinians and Venezuelans. Cubans with their claim to Spanish lineage and Argentinians who claim they are the 'Europe of Latin America' and Venezuelans who love to tout their 'Europeanness'. I know, it's hilarious. Personally, I can understand why they are embarrassed of their homeland, but I still think it's a shame to be in denial.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:44 PM

73 posts, read 113,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

Not the ingredients, but cooking methods yes.

This is hilarious. You're right, Cubans are actually Spanish. They use the same methods, cooking with fire and a pan!

Old 05-28-2011, 05:53 PM

614 posts, read 3,200,243 times
Well I guess I can compromise.. Argentina, Uruguay, Brazil etc. have a basis for comparison to Italy, but I still stand by what I said before; Mexico, Dominican Republic, most of Central America, and the heavily Amerindian countries of South America like Bolivia do not.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:57 PM

614 posts, read 3,200,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----

And there are perhaps 50 to 70 million South Americans that want to stress their Italian roots. They are not insecure since they can trace their people to Italy, more so than the Italian immigration in the US.
And like I said, I am not taking issue with this. I am taking issue with your average US Mexican (most likely a mestizo) of Spanish-Amerindian heritage trying to liken themselves to Italians. Mexican Americans are owed absolutely nothing from any Italian nor Spaniard.

Btw, it annoys me to hear them calling themselves "Spanish", too. Spanish = from Spain and Spain only.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:37 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,615,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
And like I said, I am not taking issue with this. I am taking issue with your average US Mexican (most likely a mestizo) of Spanish-Amerindian heritage trying to liken themselves to Italians. Mexican Americans are owed absolutely nothing from any Italian nor Spaniard.

Btw, it annoys me to hear them calling themselves "Spanish", too. Spanish = from Spain and Spain only.
THANK YOU. I have NEVER heard a Mexican claiming they are Italian. Maybe YOU have heard of ONE or TWO examples but by and large this is not the case...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World