Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:44 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,235,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
Has anyone here ever taught English abroad? Where? What were your experiences, good and bad? How did you get certified and hired?

If you're currently looking to get into this field, how's it progressing for you?
I got started with it in 1996. South Korea, Brazil, back to South Korea, and now over in Japan.

Basically every country has different requirements. There is no catch-all rules for it. Each particular country though, has very stringent rules.

If you have a particular region/country in mind, I could probably give you the rules that I know. Or if you give your education achivement and nationality, I could probably pinpoint which countries might work for you.

As this thread is actually quite old, anyone else curious about it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 11:56 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,085,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I got started with it in 1996. South Korea, Brazil, back to South Korea, and now over in Japan.

Basically every country has different requirements. There is no catch-all rules for it. Each particular country though, has very stringent rules.

If you have a particular region/country in mind, I could probably give you the rules that I know. Or if you give your education achivement and nationality, I could probably pinpoint which countries might work for you.

As this thread is actually quite old, anyone else curious about it as well.
Thanks for the feedback Tiger Beer and everyone else. Still interested, though a twist in life's plans means I cannot do it right now. Back when I started this thread I had a window of opportunity. Still looking to be back on track and able to do it at some point. My desire is South America, maybe specifically Chile or Argentina.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:05 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback Tiger Beer and everyone else. Still interested, though a twist in life's plans means I cannot do it right now. Back when I started this thread I had a window of opportunity. Still looking to be back on track and able to do it at some point. My desire is South America, maybe specifically Chile or Argentina.
As of about 15 years ago, Brazil was a very good place to teach. In Chile, the pay was very low for English teachers, and you couldn't live on it. I had the impression that in Spanish-speaking America, they are not too keen on learning English, because on their continent, Spanish is pretty much a universal language. But Brazilians don't see it that way.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:30 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,235,571 times
Quote:
I was in South America for ten months back in 1997-1998.

The required qualifications are LOW. Literally, if you are a native speaker, you can teach english in South America. The catch is the pay is incredibly incredibly low, and not many employers offer a work visa or any type of stability.

I ended up teaching in Brazil for six of those ten months I was in South America. Originally I went to Chile, and it seemed that it was actually more difficult to show-up-and-teach there, unlike everywhere else in South America. I actually found that some of the employers in Chile hired beforehand from abroad.

When I was backpacking through Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, etc. I would find english teacher wanted signs frequently in the hostels and such.

Brazil, I was able to teach the very next day after I arrived, with the first school I went to in Sao Paulo. I also knew of the teacher who had just left, so it might have just been damn good timing.

But, everywhere I went, I found that a tesol certificate was irrelevant, as was everything else. As long as you were physically there and were a native speaker, you were good. It was just very very low pay though.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:54 PM

211 posts, read 566,898 times
Are you already a certified teacher in the US? If so, you might want to consider teaching in international schools overseas. Some of them pay very, very well and offer amazing benefits packages. That's what I'm currently doing and I'm enjoying a great lifestyle.

Scott

Old 03-30-2011, 07:57 PM

241 posts, read 743,153 times
If you're interested in a specific country and want an extended vacation, you can pull off teaching in Asian countries and South America, as mentioned. If you're interested in teaching as a solid career while also teaching abroad, including TEFL, it's best to become a certified teacher in your home country, teach at least a year, even get a master's of any kind, then start looking overseas. It's harder to escape the entry level rut these days if you come over with just a BA and are not certified back home.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:55 AM

43,733 posts, read 44,495,603 times
I taught English at a private university in Ecuador (1996/7). A M.A. in TESOL was required in order to get the job. But the local private language schools only required a B.A. to teach but the pay there was much lower than at the university.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:11 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,085,049 times
Thanks for the info, All! Really appreciate it. No, I'm not certified and have never worked as a teacher. I've done extensive training in a variety of industries, and do consulting work now where part of it involves training, though not specifically teaching languages. Some sort of certification and perhaps ESL teaching in the States to get the ball rolling seems to be the message.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:07 AM

211 posts, read 566,898 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info, All! Really appreciate it. No, I'm not certified and have never worked as a teacher. I've done extensive training in a variety of industries, and do consulting work now where part of it involves training, though not specifically teaching languages. Some sort of certification and perhaps ESL teaching in the States to get the ball rolling seems to be the message.
There are jobs out there for native speakers of English who are not certified, experience teachers. I just don't know where to send you to look for one.

I don't think you can just get ESL certification in the States quickly unless you're already a certified teacher in some state in some subject. There may be British options out there that are quicker, though???? I don't really know.

Scott

Old 04-01-2011, 04:17 AM

43,733 posts, read 44,495,603 times
Quote:
Look at TESOL - Home Page for information on ESL teaching certification, jobs, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World