Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:46 AM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times

Advertisements

I started a similar thread, but it’s been a while back and I want to try again. I know there are some similar threads, but most of you folks want a tropical paradise... which for me is not a paradise. I’m one of those cold, gloomy weather lovers.

So... okay, I have been researching this for quite awhile. I would like some input from those who have either done what I’m thinking about or live in the areas that I mention. I REALLY want to leave the US (for at least a number of years, perhaps for good). I am not wealthy and would have to work wherever I went. I want to go to a non-English speaking culture. I am Caucasian of Norwegian, Danish, and French ancestry. I am functional in Spanish and Norwegian (and close in French). I don’t care if I have to learn another language (I love languages). I don’t care how cold the climate is as long as summertime temps get no higher than, say, 75 degrees (24 C) on average (extreme cold is fine, as is coolish, moderate temps). I have degrees in English and Mathematics. I have been teaching remedial college math for about 15 years. I am also quite adept at computer programming and ‘linguistic/language learning’ related skills. Really, I don't care what line of work it is as long as it pays a livable wage and it's not slave-like labor.

The places I have looked into are Norway, Iceland, Greenland, Québec (Canada), southern Argentina, and southern and/or coastal Chile. I’ve also looked into highland areas (colder climates) of Peru, Columbia, Mexico, ect...

After researching all of these places, it seems it’s way easier to get into the US than it is out! I’m just looking to live in one of these places; I don’t care about being wealthy, just a sustainable living in relatively safe, non-slum area. Is there any feasible way for a ‘yank’ to gain entry into any of these places and be welcomed by their immigration structures? It seems that most places go out of their way to discourage it, although I’ve corresponded with many immigrants in these countries from outside the US. It seems that it’s easier for them to gain entry than it is for a ‘yank.’ (other than as a tourist)

Are there any folks out there who have done this or natives who know about it, who can add insight??? Anyplace that’s relatively sane to be able to get into? Are any of the countries I’ve mentioned actually ‘welcoming’ (on an official level) or is it all just discouragement for people from the US?

Please, if you are going to write ‘it’s cold in Greenland,’ (or Norway, Iceland, Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego, etc.) don’t bother. I know it is. That’s the way I like it.

PS: The places I’ve found most appealing all the way around are Québec and Argentina. Norway is mega expensive and looks to be virtually a ‘no-entry’ country for Americans (Even with Norwegian blood!); Chile, I’ve been told is very hard to get into; with Greenland’s new independence, who knows what immigration might be like there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 02:04 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,920 times
Work permits are issued on the basis of supply and demand. If you have a skill in short supply you have a fighting chance of getting one otherwise they just don't want to know. The UK has a shortage of high school maths/science teachers so maybe you could consider Scotland - that should be cold and gloomy enough for you.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:49 PM

360 posts, read 1,087,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
PS: The places I?ve found most appealing all the way around are Québec and Argentina. Norway is mega expensive and looks to be virtually a ?no-entry? country for Americans (Even with Norwegian blood!); Chile, I?ve been told is very hard to get into; with Greenland?s new independence, who knows what immigration might be like there.
Google All Chile Forum for best advice about Chile. Not hard at all getting into Chile, many live there for years on tourist visas. But getting a job with a liveable wage is tough. Teaching English is your best bet. However if you are willing to start a business and run it well, chances are you'll succeed there. According to some on the forum, Chile suffers from poor customer service. They have stated that if you find a needed service, or if you just compete well against established businesses you'll be fine. There seems to be a hunger for better service but a lack of will to provide it.

If you read my other posts today you know I'm pro-Argentina. But only as a renting retiree. I've read too many stories of getting burned there by those trying to buy a home or start a business. I can only guess at the reasons why but it seems to be the mindset of Argentinians that if the other party in a business transaction is happy then they must be getting screwed. Might explain why a country that is so blessed naturally has a struggling economy. My personal view is to get some kind of decent pension in the 1st world, then move overseas where it'll go alot farther. Not so easy to do these days.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-666 View Post
consider Scotland - that should be cold and gloomy enough for you.
It very well may be. I know a bit of Gaelic (not that is all that useful these days!) and Lowland Scots fascinates me. Northeast Scotland. Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
If you read my other posts today you know I'm pro-Argentina.
Yes, I have really looked into Argentina. If I had some sort of viable internet business or 'location independent' business/income, I'd be likely to get much more serious about it. Beautiful country.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:29 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
As vantexan says, there are teaching English jobs. My kid began in that, and now lives/works in France as a translator (he's been there over a year).
His boss was specifically looking for someone who speaks American English.
I assume you've been to Dave's ESL Cafe?
It's not impossible, you just have to learn the ropes. Good luck.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I stayed for more than a year in Chile on a tourist visa. Just jump on the bus to Argentina every 6 months and turn around and get stamped back in.

If you like the cold, you will love it near the coast. The Humboldt current makes it very cold within a mile of so of the ocean.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:09 PM

186 posts, read 794,566 times
It's difficult for people here to advise you as most of us live in the states. Why not begin by reading over the long-stay visa requirements on the consulate websites for the countries that interest you? An ESL certificate could help as someone here already mentioned.

Greenland? You're just being amusing, right??

Old 05-28-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
Google All Chile Forum for best advice about Chile. Not hard at all getting into Chile, many live there for years on tourist visas.
Thanks for the reference. That forum has some great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugnubs View Post
Greenland? You're just being amusing, right??
Greenland... actually, I would go there! Nuuk (population about 16000) in the west, Kulusuk in the east, Qaqortoq in the south. I don't know if I would stay there for good; but if I had means of supporting myself, you never know. I've always been fascinated by this place. I've never been there, but along the coasts, the climate is somewhat moderated and isn't as harsh as many Arctic regions. Of course, 'moderated climate' is a relative term, isn't it? I'm sure even a photo of Greenland might give a Florida sun lover hypothermia.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:57 AM

186 posts, read 794,566 times
I wish you all the best in your search and hope you'll opt to go the legal route and obtain any necessary visas to remain beyond visitor status....a lot has changed in many countries regarding "visa runs". Expat forums are interesting and offer info on daily living and a lot of anecdotal instances, but current laws and hard facts are best obtained through consulates if you hope to avoid disappointment.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:22 PM

34 posts, read 100,957 times
Hi, Chris. Are you in Greenland now? : )

Well, my 2 cents: Quebec is wonderful--Montreal is very diverse and welcoming to foreigners, while Quebec City is beautiful and very French-language/culture-oriented and government bureaucracy-oriented. Taxes are higher, but people really enjoy the quality of life. I recommended my parents retire to Montreal, but it was too cold for them--not a problem for you.

I've visited only Mexico, but read a lot about Latin America from candid posts and talked with many friends from all parts South of our border. My conclusion: Argentina, starting in Buenos Aires, would be best for quality of life, even on a modest income (and if earning USD$ is possible, they'll go a long way there).

Build up some cash savings and visit/scout out before committing. Try to line up temporary work and housing and establish several local contacts before going, if possible.

Try to set up some e-lancing work, if possible. And teaching ESL with a certificate that means something where you're going helps.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World