U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where is better to live United States or Australia?
United States 110 53.66%
Australia 58 28.29%
Stay in UK 15 7.32%
Other 22 10.73%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 PM

24,682 posts, read 50,640,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleLO12 View Post
In the USA it depends on where you live, the OP was thinking about northeast which has very low unemployment, very wealthy good paying jobs, and is safer than Australia, the healthcare is really good here, the schools are generally better and rank higher than Australian schools, the climate is from extreme hot to extreme cold in the matter of months, the quality of life is very good being close to Boston, NYC, Philly, DC and Baltimore, tons of beaches along the coast, mountains to the north, west and east, the diversity seems to be a little better as of Australian diversity is mostly just Asians. The transportation is better HANDS DOWN. Their also seems to be more festivals and activities considering the east coast has a higher population than all of Australia and larger economy.
How is the US safer than Australia? You been watching too much Crocodile hunter? Our murder rate is lower, and I feel safer walking the streets here than in the US. Even in one trip I was the victim of crime in the States. Far more ghetto-like places in the States. I enjoyed my trip to the US overall, but you just gotta be careful. Not that it's like Japan here, but most crime is blown out of proportion.

Public transport here IME is on par with those Northeastern cities. Of course NYC is another matter, but usage rates compare well with Boston, DC.etc. I remember seeing the stats on that. Have you actually been to Australia?

I will say the US, specifically the NE, has advantages over Oz. More interesting/exciting/big city feel, quainter scenery (e.g. New England), love the historic neighbourhoods of say Philly or Boston/more history. I've thought about moving to that region before, specifically Boston or NY.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 PM

3,719 posts, read 6,599,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
How is the US safer than Australia? You been watching too much Crocodile hunter? Our murder rate is lower, and I feel safer walking the streets here than in the US. Even in one trip I was the victim of crime in the States. Far more ghetto-like places in the States. I enjoyed my trip to the US overall, but you just gotta be careful. Not that it's like Japan here, but most crime is blown out of proportion.

Public transport here IME is on par with those Northeastern cities. Of course NYC is another matter, but usage rates compare well with Boston, DC.etc. I remember seeing the stats on that. Have you actually been to Australia?

I will say the US, specifically the NE, has advantages over Oz. More interesting/exciting/big city feel, quainter scenery (e.g. New England), love the historic neighbourhoods of say Philly or Boston/more history. I've thought about moving to that region before, specifically Boston or NY.
AppleLO12 was reffering to the northeast not the whole country. Anyway the crime is so exaggerated here,anyone who lives here can tell you that, i walk all the time alone by myself no troubles. Currently America is on era of downtown living and urban living, any city downtown is getting so vibrant and nice. Try and visit America go to the worst area and you wont have any trouble, you will only have trouble is you are involved in some type of drug or gang than something might happen.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:45 AM

20,694 posts, read 21,709,457 times
The united states every single time.

Australia is in the middle of nowhere and is a giant dessert.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:49 AM

20,694 posts, read 21,709,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibi12 View Post
Oops sorry! Well i actually think australia is more akin to the US than to UK. Maybe the accent and some sort of local culture is more similar to the UK but the cities in australia and the politics are alike to that of the USA. I think Australia might be a better choice, but it depends what you plan on doing. If you want to start kind of new than australia is good, US is better if you have a higher degree and if you do than choose USA.
I dont think aussie is anything like usa.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 AM

23 posts, read 68,410 times
I live in Sydney and love it. It is very safe, super clean, very friendly, the climate is brilliant, 70 stunning beaches in Sydney alone, stacks to do, free health care, unemployment benefits, high wages but super high cost of living. Don't expect to buy a house cheaply. Move to the western suburbs and expect to pay 600K, move to the beach and it will cost you at least a million. rentals will cost you 2400 a month for a small 2 bedroom apartment. having said all that I am relocating to USA in a few months..I just love change.

As for salaries..my daughters earn 25 per hour in hospitality while studying at university..you dont get that in the USA

Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aridol2005 View Post
I live in Sydney and love it. It is very safe, super clean, very friendly, the climate is brilliant, 70 stunning beaches in Sydney alone, stacks to do, free health care, unemployment benefits, high wages but super high cost of living. Don't expect to buy a house cheaply. Move to the western suburbs and expect to pay 600K, move to the beach and it will cost you at least a million. rentals will cost you 2400 a month for a small 2 bedroom apartment. having said all that I am relocating to USA in a few months..I just love change.

As for salaries..my daughters earn 25 per hour in hospitality while studying at university..you dont get that in the USA
..Well see almost salaries are lower in the USA but the housing is cheaper and much more, tell me how much is gas in Sydney? Yes American healthcare is not universal but we have the best health care as in medical and stuff in the entire world, but we could not have gotten to this achievement with the help of some of the best universities, and most best universities in the world. Not to mention our grade school is some of the best in the world(excluding 30% of the bad schools) heck we have exchange students from almost any country mostly south korea, and those south koreans love our schools why eles would they come here considering we have the most foreign exchange students then any other country. America already hit its lowest point in 2008, but since 2010 we have had a huge leap and is having a great time too.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I dont think aussie is anything like usa.
may i ask what country you boost...because i am confused?

Old 03-27-2013, 04:24 PM

363 posts, read 609,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
..Well see almost salaries are lower in the USA but the housing is cheaper and much more, tell me how much is gas in Sydney? Yes American healthcare is not universal but we have the best health care as in medical and stuff in the entire world, but we could not have gotten to this achievement with the help of some of the best universities, and most best universities in the world. Not to mention our grade school is some of the best in the world(excluding 30% of the bad schools) heck we have exchange students from almost any country mostly south korea, and those south koreans love our schools why eles would they come here considering we have the most foreign exchange students then any other country. America already hit its lowest point in 2008, but since 2010 we have had a huge leap and is having a great time too.
when i was in highschool, school had almost 10% exchange students from mostly china, Russia, and Germany

Old 03-27-2013, 04:54 PM

4,228 posts, read 6,234,964 times
Quote:
No doubt you have the best universities. But you can not really compare them.

For instance Yale has a much larger operating budget that of the University of Melbourne (One of Australia's Best), and has 1/4 of the Students, Yale operates on professional staff to student ratio of about 3 to 1, at the university of Melbourne it's 34 to 1. If there is one thing Australia does need in my opinion it's a good elite university, which operates on staff to student ratios like that.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 03-27-2013 at 06:09 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 05:27 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,023,795 times
Quote:
Yes American healthcare is not universal but we have the best health care as in medical and stuff in the entire world, but we could not have gotten to this achievement with the help of some of the best universities, and most best universities in the world.
I'm not sure how a country can be deemed to have the best healthcare system without considering questions of access, there are other countries with equally well-trained staff and a guaranteed minimum standard of treatment for all citizens, this is reflected in the indicators which suggest that most wealthy nations have a higher life expectancy than is seen in the US.

The fact that the cost of medical expenditures per capita is double that of comparable first world countries, and 60% of bankruptcies in the US are attributable to medical bills is a real indictment on the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World