Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
 
Location: New Albany, Indiana (Greater Louisville)
11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Reputation: 12187

Advertisements

Is it because White people live in Europe?

India 1 billion people; 1,269,210 sq mi

Europe 731 million people; 3,930,000 sq mi

 
Old 06-01-2009, 06:33 PM
 
Location: British Columbia.
343 posts, read 1,384,136 times
Reputation: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Is it because White people live in Europe?

India 1 billion people; 1,269,210 sq mi

Europe 731 million people; 3,930,000 sq mi

It has nothing to do with race. India is part of Asia. Really the answer is a mix between geography, geology, and history.
 
Old 06-01-2009, 06:39 PM
 
895 posts, read 2,365,600 times
Reputation: 366
I've always wondered the same thing. For example they say europe is seperated from "asia" by the urals...but there are much bigger mountains throughout asia that seperate completely different cultures and language groups more different than europeans.

For example east asia is seperated from the middle east through large mountain regions east asia is a completely different race,religions,languages than the middle east etc. And AFAIK india in itself has as many languages as europe? I think europe/asia is actually "Eurasia". With these subcontinents, europe,east asia, SE asia,india,middle east. Africa might be included into this super continent as well.
 
Old 06-01-2009, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Back home in Kaguawagpjpa.
1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Reputation: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXclimberX View Post
It has nothing to do with race. India is part of Asia. Really the answer is a mix between geography, geology, and history.
Great response. India is seen as a sub continent is because millions and millions of years ago, India was a seperate continent from Asia. Then, India drifted towards Asia, and crashed into the Asian continent.

This is why the Himayas are the highest mountain range on Earth. India is still pushing into Asia.
 
Old 06-01-2009, 06:45 PM
 
Location: Land of 10000 Lakes +
5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
Reputation: 8575
East Indians are Caucasian.
 
Old 06-01-2009, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Back home in Kaguawagpjpa.
1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Reputation: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
I've always wondered the same thing. For example they say europe is seperated from "asia" by the urals...but there are much bigger mountains throughout asia that seperate completely different cultures and language groups more different than europeans.

For example east asia is seperated from the middle east through large mountain regions east asia is a completely different race,religions,languages than the middle east etc. And AFAIK india in itself has as many languages as europe? I think europe/asia is actually "Eurasia". With these subcontinents, europe,east asia, SE asia,india,middle east. Africa might be included into this super continent as well.

Great observation as well. In fact, you can really say there are five continents: Eurasia, Africa, Oceania, America, and Antarctica.
 
Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 PM
 
6,084 posts, read 6,040,399 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Great observation as well. In fact, you can really say there are five continents: Eurasia, Africa, Oceania, America, and Antarctica.
Actually you can argue there is or once was only four. Before the Suez Canal, there was a geographical continuity between Asia and Africa. In fact the ancient Greeks felt it was the Nile that separated Libya (Africa) from Asia and called Egypt east of the Nile Arabia.
 
Old 06-02-2009, 07:35 AM
 
5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Reputation: 4661
I never understood that oxymoron of calling India The Subcontinent because of the peninsular form and the big size (but not that enormous, only a little bigger than Argentina for instance )of the country.
Why not call the Korean peninsula a subcountry then?
Or Florida the substate?
It's presposterous!
Other geographical metaphors seem more accurate to me, as calling Somalia and adjacent territories The Horn Of Africa,or Argentina, Chile and adjacent countries El Cono Sur.
In Geography moreover, the notion of "subcontinent " is extremely ill-defined...
 
Old 06-02-2009, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Back home in Kaguawagpjpa.
1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
Reputation: 1082
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I never understood that oxymoron of calling India The Subcontinent because of the peninsular form and the big size (but not that enormous, only a little bigger than Argentina for instance )of the country.Why not call the Korean peninsula a subcountry then?
Or Florida the substate?
It's presposterous!
Other geographical metaphors seem more accurate to me, as calling Somalia and adjacent territories The Horn Of Africa,or Argentina, Chile and adjacent countries El Cono Sur.
In Geography moreover, the notion of "subcontinent " is extremely ill-defined...
This is because, India was once its own continent that has smashed into Asia due to continential drift. This is the reason why the Himalayas are are high. The pressure of India, crushing on Eurasia, has cause the very earth to shoot into the air; it still is to this very day.

Florida and Korea are just that: peninsulas.

Last edited by SilkCity0416; 06-02-2009 at 08:14 AM..
 
Old 06-02-2009, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Chicago- Hyde Park
4,079 posts, read 10,389,774 times
Reputation: 2658
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Actually you can argue there is or once was only four. Before the Suez Canal, there was a geographical continuity between Asia and Africa. In fact the ancient Greeks felt it was the Nile that separated Libya (Africa) from Asia and called Egypt east of the Nile Arabia.
yeah, well what did the ancient Egyptians say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top