U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 06:16 AM

8,593 posts, read 12,561,130 times

Advertisements

The smartest people are those who do the most with the least and are happy about it.

It is truly sickening and shameful to see after a century and half, and two world wars, how racist people are, US racist politics at the head of the charge over the cliff to stupidity.

This discussion is exemplary.
Rate this post positively

Old 06-05-2009, 07:11 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,924,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
The smartest people are those who do the most with the least and are happy about it.

It is truly sickening and shameful to see after a century and half, and two world wars, how racist people are, US racist politics at the head of the charge over the cliff to stupidity.

This discussion is exemplary.

Huh?

Last night at work I pondered this question and couldn't get a final answer between Germans or the British. Both nationalities (including their descendants abroad - US, Canada, Australia, etc) have mind-blowing and unparalleled lists of intellectual achievement.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:16 PM

4,512 posts, read 7,119,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
That's a "loaded" and a rather subjective question; however, considering the currrent mess that the United States is in, I doubt that Americans rank at the top.
i agree with you on the loaded and subjective question.

i don't think americans need to see themselves at the top of any mess ....

in answering the op's question, germans see themselves as export world champions. notwithstanding the educational mess created to suit that end.

Old 06-05-2009, 02:36 PM

14,694 posts, read 24,366,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
yeah i didn't read the stuff at the bottom....the way Yugoslavia split it self in 6 or 7 ways and that high IQ average don't go together...its a shame what happened to a country that if stayed together could have been great...people from that area are also known to be the tallest people in the world

It goes together just fine - the smart ones were sick and tired of the oppression and broke free.

Bog i Hrvati/ God & Croatia

Old 06-05-2009, 02:46 PM

895 posts, read 2,249,126 times
Smartest by what? Someone who got all As in school might be dumber than someone who got all Cs and was lazy. If you do it by iq which means nothing btw
1 South Korea106
2 Japan105
3 Taiwan104
4 Singapore103
5 Austria, Germany, italy and netherlands all tied at 102.
6 Sweden and switzerland tied at 100.

That is the "top 10".

Old 06-05-2009, 07:45 PM

5,008 posts, read 11,607,871 times
I vote this discussion be locked. It's too vague, and the context in which the OP was in is potentially racist (implied by saying what nationality is the smartest by virtue of grades).

I could say that the Japanese were the smartest by their nation's rise to be the second most powerful economy in the world while yet having barely more than 100 million people, but then you'd have to consider percentage of those who go to college, number who go to college, percentage and number of people who are artists (which IS a measure of intelligence, just a different hemisphere =P), occupation (since many people don't really know what they want to become, even after they graduate), per capita income, per capita number of patents awarded, number of patents awarded, etc.

I would think that for the industrialized world many would agree that the average IQ is about 100, as shown by NihonKitty's post. Also trying to say "ZOMG ALL (insert nationality here) IZ SMART BECUZ THEY GET ALL A'S!" is fraught with racist intent. Big whoop. I'm american (yee haw!) and I got all A's in grad school, because I was more mature and dedicated than when I was an undergrad or high school student, and on top of that, I have my share of "DUH" moments. Like today I didn't fill out the name/address section of a form while applying for vanpool. No wonder my application was rejected! So I resubmitted, and got in. Sticklers.

Anyway, yeah, this is a bad topic. Let's move on, shall we?

Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 PM
ako ako started this thread

140 posts, read 319,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I vote this discussion be locked. It's too vague, and the context in which the OP was in is potentially racist (implied by saying what nationality is the smartest by virtue of grades).

I could say that the Japanese were the smartest by their nation's rise to be the second most powerful economy in the world while yet having barely more than 100 million people, but then you'd have to consider percentage of those who go to college, number who go to college, percentage and number of people who are artists (which IS a measure of intelligence, just a different hemisphere =P), occupation (since many people don't really know what they want to become, even after they graduate), per capita income, per capita number of patents awarded, number of patents awarded, etc.

I would think that for the industrialized world many would agree that the average IQ is about 100, as shown by NihonKitty's post. Also trying to say "ZOMG ALL (insert nationality here) IZ SMART BECUZ THEY GET ALL A'S!" is fraught with racist intent. Big whoop. I'm american (yee haw!) and I got all A's in grad school, because I was more mature and dedicated than when I was an undergrad or high school student, and on top of that, I have my share of "DUH" moments. Like today I didn't fill out the name/address section of a form while applying for vanpool. No wonder my application was rejected! So I resubmitted, and got in. Sticklers.

Anyway, yeah, this is a bad topic. Let's move on, shall we?
What? I am potentially racist? I'm simply asking which people are the smartest people in the world. Just like the 'most polite in the world' thread. I completely don't understand how racism and grades are related.

As for 'smartest', you can interpret it in any way you want. For example if somebody asks you which one of your friends is the smartest, just answer by your interpretation of 'smartest', that's all! IQ, intellectual achievement etc... I have lots of friends who get lousy grades and do bad academically but are all very smart when it comes to other things.

Stop overreacting.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:33 AM

1,744 posts, read 6,924,889 times
Eskercurve - You bring up some good points and I understand your reservations but if everyone is mature and stays on topic this can be a productive/interesting thread. If it turns into a trainwreck over the validity of the OP's question then yeah, it probably needs to be closed.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:59 PM

85 posts, read 228,909 times
I think Japanese people are the smartest.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:26 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,712,767 times
Scotland, invented pretty much everything we take for granted and it was the Scottish engineers that pioneered the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.