Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:07 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,354,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Scotland, invented pretty much everything we take for granted and it was the Scottish engineers that pioneered the world.
In what? Log throwing?

That's about as valid as me saying that the Irish were the most advanced and smartest people in the world until they discovered beer and my source is the Simpsons.

Old 06-07-2009, 03:41 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
In what? Log throwing?

That's about as valid as me saying that the Irish were the most advanced and smartest people in the world until they discovered beer and my source is the Simpsons.
Wow, a very sarcastic and ignorant comment about Scotland....hmm you don't know very much about our history do you my friend. What nationality did you decend from? We all know that majority of white Americans (no natives) did come from part of Europe including Scotland, Ireland, England etc. I'm suprised at your lack of knowledge, quite shocking actually.......

Why dont you do some research. The majority of engineers that were called upon in the states were Scottish because our engineers were second to none. Look at clyde ship building aswell as the engineering we pioneered.

Like I said, many of the things we have now we take for granted. TV, phone, some medicines you name it. All inveted by Scots. Pretty amazing for such a "wee" country.

Also look at what we invented. Log throwing? Hahahaha very funny
You clearly have no clue about Scotland.

http://www.scotland.org/about/histor...nventions.html

http://www.sdi.co.uk/Invest/Why%20Scotland/Innovation%20and%20Research%20in%20Scotland/Scottish%20Innovation%20Success%20Stories.aspx (broken link)

P.S why do you think the character Scotty was Scottish? Because the Scottish engineers were the best.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...tish_engineers

I also work in the medical field, we have made alot of advances here. For example stem cell research here in Glasgow. We have the Glasgow coma code, and a whole load of other things technology wise.

Quote:
Approximately 145,000 jobs in Scotland are provided by the oil and gas industry, representing 43% of total UK oil and gas employment. Scotland’s major power generation companies employ approximately 12,200 people.

Scotland is also leading the way in renewable energy research and development.
Quote:
Scotland was famous in the past for its heavy engineering such as shipbuilding and steel making. And it was the great Scottish inventors and engineers who created the infrastructure and communications technology on which the modern world was built.

Scotland's engineering sector continues to prosper and now accounts for around 11% of employment.
Quote:
Scotland is home to 15% of the UK's Biotechnology/Life Sciences companies, with over 590 organisations employing more than 29,500 people.
Quote:
From the giants of the Victorian era, when the Scots were at the forefront of the dynamic booms in heavy engineering and manufacturing, to the ground-breaking research taking place today at our top universities, Scotland has long been a world-class contributor in the spheres of innovation and creativity.
http://www.scotland.org/about/innovation-and-creativity/index.html (broken link)

http://www.scotland.org/about/innovation-and-creativity/business-and-the-economy/index.html (broken link)

Yep, all we are good for is log throwing....

Last edited by Scotslass; 06-07-2009 at 04:01 AM..

Old 06-07-2009, 11:18 AM

LOL. OK. I stand corrected.

But going too far saying "they pioneered the world." If they truly did, then well ... why wasn't it the Scottish Empire?

And btw, I am Irish and Polish.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:49 AM

895 posts, read 2,365,600 times
The largest ethnic group in the US is german.

BTW even though japanese tend to hate chinese and i dont have very positive views of them cause of politics after watching the "ancient inventions" program on the history channel and reading up on it i still think the chinese are the ones who "pioneered" the modern world. The chinese for example even had the seismograph and large machines to pump out oil and salt thousands of years before the west. In fact they had blast furnaces which allowed them to have cast iron and advanced hydraulics which even allowed them to mass produce thousands of years before europe. As well as the first fire arms, the compass , modern/real paper, and printing (both block and moveable type). Problem with the moveable type even though it was invented hundreds of years before gutenburg was that there was too many chinese characters. Even the first rockets were made by chinese.. i didnt even know all this stuff until i read about it.

It seems like after the manchus took over and made the qing dynasty china went downhill. Not only were the manchus not chinese they stifled all development and allowed western countries like britain to wreck havoc on china (opium wars), not to mention japanese colonialism in ww1 and ww2 and then communist civil war..so yeah china has been out of the picture since the 1700s or so but their contributions that led to the european technological revolution can't be denied. Even the first engines were developed and copied almost exactly from models of ancient chinese chain drives etc.

Last edited by Bibi12; 06-07-2009 at 11:58 AM..

Old 06-07-2009, 12:02 PM

895 posts, read 2,365,600 times
Please watch this video, at least for 4 minutes or something even in japan we aren't taught this stuff for some reason.

For example the british general says the chinese copied the british paddleboats when in fact the chinese invented it hundreds of years before england, maybe thats why we never learn this stuff in school? Anyways its a good video. As you can see even the airplane was invented thru ancient chinese inventions (third video).

You can also see the agricultural revolution which lead to the technological revolution in europe was also taken from china.

Last edited by Bibi12; 06-07-2009 at 12:29 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 02:11 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
LOL. OK. I stand corrected.

But going too far saying "they pioneered the world." If they truly did, then well ... why wasn't it the Scottish Empire?

And btw, I am Irish and Polish.
Because Scotland and England decided to become the UK, it was the act of union. Scotland became bankrupt with Englands rule pretty much destroyed us. A bit of history for ya.

However Scottish engineers did pioneer the world, there is information out there about Scotland's inventions, achievements etc etc.
Even in the U.S companies only wanted Scottish engineers because they knew how good they were. That was back in the day.

Presently we are a strong nation with big industries such as technology, IT, manufacturing, engineering, science.

There is pleanty of info out there.

But personally i think you were far too quick to judge for us being such a small country we have came a long way and have had so many smart individuals come from here.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
As you can see even the airplane was invented thru ancient chinese inventions (third video).
That is very cool. I checked up on this and it's pretty cool that even in the 6th century the Chinese were flying - albeit not powered by anything but the wind, but still impressive. They even had an idea of how to vary camber to get different lift coefficient curves.

The Wright Brothers (and therefore by default, myself, as an aeronautical engineer) should thank them. They took those ideas (probably by way of others, who had borrowed them from someone else through trade) and advanced it further, essentially creating the modern way of designing airfoils through experimentation.

I find it funny that people say that "so and so made the first discoveries" when most of the time it was a development from prior knowledge gained through trade and unique spins on old knowledge and application.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:56 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
To the OP,

Answer: An American-born and raised offspring of a Jewish-Korean legal historian/philosopher and an Indian scientist-turned poet, bothwith institutional ties to Harvard, Stanford, Cambridge, and Qinghua (China), with the kid growing up in a bucolic area near a major urban trade center playing with children of Russian physicists, Chinese filmmakers, American inventors & entrepreneurs, Aussie sportsmen, French & Italian romantics, Japanese landscapers, Latin American folk guitarists, Asian & Basque chefs, Spanish-Catalonian-Italian artists, and Arabic poets, and with summer homes on the North Africa Coast, Zell-Am See in Austria, and the North coast of Kauai.

Last edited by Sandpointian; 06-07-2009 at 09:04 PM..

Old 06-07-2009, 11:03 PM

33 posts, read 74,738 times
Quote:
Scotslass: Scotland, invented pretty much everything we take for granted and it was the Scottish engineers that pioneered the world.
Pioneered the world? Some kilted Scotch engineers came from another planet and settled earth? Then, to cover their tracks, they didn't start Scotland until many others cultures had been in existence for thousands of years? To cover their tracks they allowed themselves to be dominated by England? They invented everything we take for granted but allowed people from other cultures to take the credit? They did this all under the radar? It must have been difficult, maybe Scotsmen are the smartest.

Before you freak out on me and fire off a bunch of links, I will admit that Scotland is a fine place. Scotland has invented some things we take for granted. I have nothing but respect for the Scottish people which is why I don't believe they descend from aliens that pioneered the world.

Old 06-07-2009, 11:31 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,756 times
From what I've read, the far east Asians (i.e. Japanese, Koreans) have the highest average IQ at 106.
The European peoples are next averaging in at 100-101. The European Jews however, top the list as having 127 verbal IQs. In some studies I find that Europeans have higher positive standard deviations, and higher extremes than any other group of people. Perhaps this helps to explain why the bulk of ingenuity, science and medicine have come from Western nations.
But, for averages, I'd definitely say the Japanese or Koreans are the smartest. For extremes, my guess would be Germany, France, Austria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World