Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 08:31 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,211 times

Advertisements

At the United Nations HQ, a map claims that the Cook Islands, Niue and the Vatican are the only countries not a member of the United Nations. I knew about the Vatican, but I am perplexed about the Cook Islands and Niue. You see, they are usually classified as New Zealand external territories in most almanacs and country databases. However, the map at the UN HQ is not the first time I have seen them described as independent. I understand they are in "free association" with NZ but is it true that they all still carry NZ passports? Or did both territories ever declare themselves independent? The Marshall Islands and Micronesia are in "free association" with the US, but everyone recognizes them as sovereign. Are the Cook Islands and Niue truely independent or does NZ still have at least a little authority over them (like in defense and foreign affairs)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 01:27 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
the Cook Islands, Niue and the Vatican are the only countries not a member of the United Nations

1) The Cook islands , Niue & Tokelau are unincorporated parts of NZ, like Porto Rico or Guam for the USA
2) Actually, not only the Holy See is not member of the UN, but also Taiwan (official name : Republic of China) and Kosovo.
So there are today 192 official member states of the UNO, and 3 independent non -member states , that makes 195 officially independent states, but there are numerous states that have an "independent" status and are not recognized by the international community, like Transdnietra or Somaliland, and the Palestinian Territories, albeit not officially independent has a seat as an observer (doesn't vote) in the UN, as does the Order of Malta, based in Rome.

Old 06-13-2009, 04:43 AM

184 posts, read 837,356 times
Yes, people from the Cook Islands, Niue and Tokelau are entitled to New Zealand passports (I know you didn't ask about Tokelau, but they are another interesting case).

The relationships are pretty complicated and I don't fully understand the subtleties myself, so somebody else may be able to expand on these (the Australia & New Zealand forum might be a better place to post this question), but my basic understanding is...

The Cook Islands: New Zealand is responsible for defence, but the Cook Islands manage their own internal and foreign affairs.

Niue: New Zealand is responsible for defence and most foreign affairs issues (but not all). Niue manages their own internal affairs.

Tokelau: Is still a New Zealand territory. They can set some of their own local laws but everything else is handled by New Zealand. The people of Tokelau have held votes whether to become self governing two times, but it failed to pass both times.

Last edited by MarcNZ; 06-13-2009 at 04:55 AM..

Old 06-15-2009, 10:21 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,211 times
If the Cook Islands manages their own foreign affairs why are they not recognized as independent by most sources? The US manages much of the defense of Japan, but no one recognizes Japan as an overseas territory of the US. But then if Cook Islands have their own passports?! This is confusing...perhaps it is this confusion and lack of complete and absolute independence that allows for the continual classification of the Cook Islands as Dependencies.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:11 PM

184 posts, read 837,356 times
I just did a quick google search as I was curious to learn more myself and found this interesting Cook Islands government site outlining the history of the Cook Islands.

Cook Islands Government Online

From what I can tell, they are basically independent now. It also appears I was wrong about the defence. New Zealand obviously assists militarily, but ultimately they are resposible for their own defence. My best guess (and it is just a guess) is that even though they are effectively independent, the fact that the people of the Cook Islands are New Zealand citizens puts them into a sort of grey area with respect to groups such as the UN.

Would allowing the Cook Islands to become official members of the UN effectively give New Zealand two votes? (sounds like a good idea to me )

Is it possible to be a separate nation in the UN if all of it's people are citizens of another nation already in the UN? - I just don't know

There is an interesting excerpt on that site regarding the free association which I think sums up the unusual relationship quite nicely.

"The special relationship between the Cook Islands and New Zealand is on both sides a voluntary arrangement which depends on shared interests and shared sympathies. In particular it calls for understanding on New Zealand's part of the Cook Islands' natural desire to lead a life of their own and for equal understanding on the Cook Islands' part of New Zealand's determination to safeguard the values on which its citizenship is based."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World