U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 11:35 PM

1,582 posts, read 4,670,712 times

Advertisements

Which cities outside America are most Americanized for whatever reasons, in layout/ American influence, etc.

Last edited by Bo; 06-25-2009 at 11:46 AM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:54 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,157,452 times
Dubai?
but i think its beyond Americanized...i was there last summer and i was stunned, amazing city that wasnt even there in the early 1990's
i couldn't believe i was in the middle east
1990 to 2003....same street

its been 6 years since the 2003 version...now they are building communities out in the water on the beach front

Old 06-23-2009, 11:57 PM

Old 06-23-2009, 11:58 PM

13,856 posts, read 24,601,124 times
I'd guess maybe Medicine Hat, Alberta or something in the Caribbean. One of my brothers seemed to indicate Montego Bay, Jamaica is handicapped accessible and has many American retirees. Americana, Brazil was largely founded by ex-Confederates who went to Brazil although they represent less than 10% of the current population.

Maybe some city in the Philippines could fit as they were ruled by the US for a time. (The Marshall Islands was part of the US until much more recently, but they don't seem large enough to have cities by the meaning you're likely using)

Online I find one, questionable, list.

The 7 Most ‘American’ Places Outside US | My Bad Pad

Last edited by Thomas R.; 06-24-2009 at 12:43 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'd guess maybe Medicine Hat, Alberta or something in the Caribbean. Or maybe some city in the Philippines as they were ruled by the US for a time. (The Marshall Islands was part of the US until much more recently, but they don't seem large enough to have cities by the meaning you're likely using)

Online I find one, questionable, list.

The 7 Most ‘American’ Places Outside US | My Bad Pad
i disagree with some of those 7...like the European cities that have been there much longer than the US it self

Old 06-24-2009, 12:00 AM

1,528 posts, read 5,969,415 times
Manila is very Americanized.
Minus the spanish and Chinese architecture... as well as the immense poverty.
Manila would put the worst of ghettos in the US to shame.
Aside from the fact, I would say it is Americanized.
Sprawly and Big. Like Los Angeles in the Tropics... but worse in terms of Numbers and Traffic.

Shanghai and Beijing (as well as many Chinese cities over 3 million people), are also very Americanized. Except denser as a group, not as sprawly. The Comparisons I hear often to cities in China.
Shanghai is to New York
Dallas and Houston are to Nanjing
Beijing is to Washington
Detroit is to Harbin and Shenyang

Tokyo has like 10 Time Sq's... literally, but no one makes anything of them. They are not as famous so they arn't as well lit but TRUST ME it doesn't look like someone forgot to turn on the lights.

Mexico city is also very American.

and maybe Baghdad

Old 06-24-2009, 12:22 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,414,636 times
Maybe Calgary.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:41 AM

1,855 posts, read 4,556,927 times
I would guess it's the most westernized countries that would have cities resembling American ones. For example, Tokyo, Singapore, and Seoul I would guess to be more "American" than Hanoi, Beijing, or Jakarta. Same with Johannesburg and Cape Town over Kinshasa and Nairobi.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:44 AM

17,443 posts, read 26,108,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Manila is very Americanized.
Minus the spanish and Chinese architecture... as well as the immense poverty.
Manila would put the worst of ghettos in the US to shame.
Aside from the fact, I would say it is Americanized.
Sprawly and Big. Like Los Angeles in the Tropics... but worse in terms of Numbers and Traffic.

Shanghai and Beijing (as well as many Chinese cities over 3 million people), are also very Americanized. Except denser as a group, not as sprawly. The Comparisons I hear often to cities in China.
Shanghai is to New York
Dallas and Houston are to Nanjing
Beijing is to Washington
Detroit is to Harbin and Shenyang

Tokyo has like 10 Time Sq's... literally, but no one makes anything of them. They are not as famous so they arn't as well lit but TRUST ME it doesn't look like someone forgot to turn on the lights.

Mexico city is also very American.

and maybe Baghdad
Monterrey and the border cities are even more American than Mexico City. Even Guadalajara is more American than Mexico City although Mexico City definitely has American influence.

The cities outside the US that would be most like American cities would be Canadian and Australian cities.

In Europe, I'd have to say Frankfurt. Spain's Costa Del Sol does look like California though.

In Africa? Casablanca looks a lot like NYC. From seeing movies shot in South Africa it looks like some SA cities look like American cities.

Also judging by films Tel Aviv resembles Miami

Last edited by majoun; 06-24-2009 at 01:46 AM..

Old 06-24-2009, 01:36 AM

5,765 posts, read 10,923,163 times
Part of the city of Lashkar Gah in southern Afghanistan was actually build by American engineering firms in the 1950's while they worked on a regional dam project for the Afghan government. It looks like an American suburb from that era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World