Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:27 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,304,423 times

Advertisements

Soooo!!! Out of curiosity, which additional countries do you, the people of city-data, think will be put on the list of 'Developed' or 'High Income' by 2050?

In the year 1950, developed(First World) referred to only a very small number of countries. Namely, America(US), Canada, and a few Western/northern european countries. From 1950 to 2000, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Greece, Italy, Spain, and numerous others joined the list.

Here is a list of countries that are considered third world today, but I think they will achieve first world status by 2050.

Just a few to mention:

Mexico, Chile, Poland, Turkey, Russia, Malaysia

Today, these are all firmely established middle - income countries. If their current economic growth rate continues, then I am sure their futures are quite bright.

Are there any that you all would add to the list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 07:04 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,947,059 times
Brasil

Old 07-12-2009, 07:27 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,465,154 times
Here are some possibilities I'm used based on a mix of UNDP Human Development trends and Transparency International Corruption Index.

Africa

Botswana
Mauritius
Tunisia

Asia

Oman

Eastern Europe

Albania

Latin America

El Salvador - A bit of a surprise to me too, but it's advancing fairly quick and is relatively uncorrupt by the region's standards.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 07-12-2009 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: removing one's already named

Old 07-12-2009, 07:38 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,902,139 times
Russia and Poland ought to have a bright future as they have low population densities. Thus a high ratio of agricultural/mineral wealth per person and tremendous export potential. Also they are at high latitudes so should be least affected by global warming. Mexico's economy is highly dependent on it's oil fields which are in terminal decline so it's future may not be so bright.

Old 07-12-2009, 09:03 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,829,584 times
Just seen on TV a report on Angola, thanks to diamonds and oil, and the end of the civil war and political stability since a few war, this African country is experimenting a boom, and believe it or not, the journalist was saying that up to 20% of the population is earning more than 30.000 $ (and among them there are already tycoons). One of the rare success stories on that continent?

Old 07-12-2009, 10:58 AM

34 posts, read 100,718 times
Corruption is a big factor in inhibiting development and increasing income. Infrastructure is also critical--not just roads/highways, electricity, and airports, but also high-speed/broadband Internet access, beyond just big cities. Ease of doing business and setting up small businesses is important.

Focusing on "average income" is absolutely stupid (skewed by the incomes of the rich). "Median income" is much, much more important.

All that said, these are countries making big improvements and likely to be considered wealthy/developed in the next two decades:
Poland
Czech Republic
Slovenia
Croatia
Hungary
the Baltic States (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania)
Kazakhstan
Colombia

Not saying all of the above are perfect, but from all that I've read, they're well on their way.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:11 AM

14 posts, read 58,578 times
Chile is predicted to become developed by 2018 according to world bank,
argentina and uruguay a bit later i think.
And then eastern european nations such as poland , baltic states, etc.

Old 07-12-2009, 11:41 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,597,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
Soooo!!! Out of curiosity, which additional countries do you, the people of city-data, think will be put on the list of 'Developed' or 'High Income' by 2050?

In the year 1950, developed(First World) referred to only a very small number of countries. Namely, America(US), Canada, and a few Western/northern european countries. From 1950 to 2000, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Greece, Italy, Spain, and numerous others joined the list.

Here is a list of countries that are considered third world today, but I think they will achieve first world status by 2050.

Just a few to mention:

Mexico, Chile, Poland, Turkey, Russia, Malaysia

Today, these are all firmely established middle - income countries. If their current economic growth rate continues, then I am sure their futures are quite bright.

Are there any that you all would add to the list?
In geography class I learned that Mexico is considered a middle income country not a third world. How can you compare Mexico to third world African nations? According to the CIA world fact book only 13% of Mexico lives below the food based poverty line, in the UK it's 14% and in the U.S. it's 12% and their considered first world. Mexico also has more GDP than Spain and Greece, so how can it be a third world nation?

Old 07-12-2009, 11:52 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,240,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodro666 View Post
Chile is predicted to become developed by 2018 according to world bank,
argentina and uruguay a bit later i think.
And then eastern european nations such as poland , baltic states, etc.
I remember hearing several years ago that Argentina was pretty much right on the verge of first world status. I know that at the early part of the century Buenos Aires was one of the wealthiest cities in the world. I know they've certainly had some economic woes since then. I wish them well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
In geography class I learned that Mexico is considered a middle income country not a third world. How can you compare Mexico to third world African nations? According to the CIA world fact book only 13% of Mexico lives below the food based poverty line, in the UK it's 14% and in the U.S. it's 12% and their considered first world. Mexico also has more GDP than Spain and Greece, so how can it be a third world nation?
Mexico also has twice the population as Spain and several times more than Greece as well sitting pretty good with resources. I've never been to Mexico, but I imagine they're slightly better off than what most Americans envision but still not to the same standard of living as us & Europe. I'd say they're a third world nation but definitely at the higher end of that spectrum (which is a pretty wide spectrum).

My prediction: Within a couple generations the gap between Eastern and Western Europe will close as the West dwindles and Eastern Europe develops. Brazil, Iran, Turkey and Mexico will show some improvements and stabilize.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:33 PM

4,573 posts, read 7,475,923 times
Chile
Panama
Czech Republic
Turkey
Poland
Hungary
China
Slovakia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World