Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2007, 02:21 AM
 
Location: australia
1 posts, read 1,655 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I can't figure out how to post my own thread, I want to move from AUstralia to Morro Bay Cal and want advice, but maybe by replying somebody will tell me how to post my own thread. I'm an AMerican and have travelled all over the world, lived in Australia for 17 years. I have a cool house by the beach but I miss Americans soo much. No we aren't the best but we are open and friendly and fun, and that has to count for something!

 
Old 08-06-2007, 10:47 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,647 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
The kindest people I have met are Koreans, Turks, and the French.

The rudest I've met are the English, Italians, Spanish, and Russians.


American people are alright to a certain extent. Us Americans are very warm at first, but if we don't like someone, we start to back off and sometimes in a rude way...
Hyun-Soo,

You'll have to forgive my rudeness, I don't actually remember meeting you, although you clearly got to know everyone from my country quite well and had time to make judgment. My sincere apologies. Does that now mean my nation is absolved as I've been polite?

An example you may understand is that you're clearly not very intelligent, but I've met many intelligent Americans. Thankfully you don't represent them all, I'm sure they would hasten to agree, so where does that leave you? Are you now not American?

Before humiliating yourself with wild negative judgments (the question actually prompted a positive judgment, although besides insulting entire nations the difference is zero) in front of thousands of unknowns (poprocksncoke being the first to point out just one of the flaws in your incredibly infantile logic), think of what a hypocritical **** it reveals you as, control yourself a bit, think about why you're controlling yourself, then make it a characteristic - it'll be second nature eventually.

From Half English, half Northern Irish Steve.... damn, what does that make me?
 
Old 08-06-2007, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Naptowne, Alaska
15,603 posts, read 39,873,248 times
Reputation: 14891
Quote:
as far as who i think is the best, i would have to say that they are european. i know that sweden is one of the worlds leaders in protecting the environment. they also dont drive as much suv's. they pay high taxes so that all of society is taken care of, not just rich people. sweden has also taken in huge numbers of refugees. if you look at how many refugees usa has taken in then you can see how nice they really are. i have also heard that norway and finland are good too.
I recently traveled the entire country of Sweden. They are by far...some of the nicest people I have ever met. As nice or nicer than the northwestern Canadians I posted on earlier (sorry Canada). As you can see from some of the recent posts...Americans can be quite rude. Even over something as trivial as a comment in a forum. Thanks for beefing up the American reputation guys. You have not let me down. People like you are what make me embarrassed to even call myself an American!
 
Old 08-06-2007, 12:24 PM
 
Location: N.Y.C.
660 posts, read 2,442,852 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlab View Post
i disagree that american are the best or responsible, and think about others. think about the iraq war. most americans are concerned about the iraqi war because they dont want their own troops to get hurt, not because american troops are killing people in iraq. that is selfish.
if somebody innocent does get killed it wasnt meant to happen it was an accident our soldiers are getting killed because they were targeted
 
Old 08-06-2007, 12:33 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
16,225 posts, read 27,468,732 times
Reputation: 31496
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
if somebody innocent does get killed it wasnt meant to happen it was an accident our soldiers are getting killed because they were targeted
I'm afraid that comment doesn't hold much water; many of our troops HAVE died in Iraq accidentally, and civilians HAVE been killed with full intent. Your naivete is quite endearing though ;-)
 
Old 08-08-2007, 10:02 AM
 
Location: N.Y.C.
660 posts, read 2,442,852 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm afraid that comment doesn't hold much water; many of our troops HAVE died in Iraq accidentally, and civilians HAVE been killed with full intent. Your naivete is quite endearing though ;-)
maybe in a few cases but these people are still out there doing a job that you should be on your knees praying that you never will have to
 
Old 08-08-2007, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Anchorage, Alaska (most of the time)
1,226 posts, read 3,648,445 times
Reputation: 1934
Default The Britons, hands down

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlab View Post
as far as who i think is the best, i would have to say that they are european. i know that sweden is one of the worlds leaders in protecting the environment. they also dont drive as much suv's. they pay high taxes so that all of society is taken care of, not just rich people. sweden has also taken in huge numbers of refugees. if you look at how many refugees usa has taken in then you can see how nice they really are. i have also heard that norway and finland are good too.
I and my people thank you for that We can be nice and polite, if we chose to... Just kidding. No, we can be, not kidding about that. But since I've just come home from England, I am experiencing some "culture shock" (this should be in another thread, in world forum I think).

The nicest people I've ever met are the English. I haven't met a single rude Briton, and I've met quite a few (many that is!) during the last week spent in London, and two years ago on my previous journeys. You get a "oh, sorry" or a "oh, exuse me!" or a "oh, I am so sorry!" even if YOU bump in to them! And they are very helpful. Ask for the direction somewhere, and you'll get it without a stupid remark or a "what kind of idiot are you"-kind of look. And buying a newspaper...I've never been called "love" or "dear" or "darling" anywhere else. Just a tired sigh and a "here"... English people. Best there are
(Just keep of the roads...That's a very useful and true advice...They don't show lots and lost of car insurance ads on TV for nothing...)

I'd also say the Japanese are very nice. At least the tourists are. And they do know how to behave in museums and Royal castles, unlike...hm...some other kinds of tourists...Won't name names...

There might not be a "the best people" or "the nicest people" in the world. How we percieve a people from another culture depends on how we are as persons, what our culture is like compared to the "other one", what the stereotypes are about the people, etc. Expectations play a major role, studies have shown.
The better one understands the culture (history behind it, influences in the past and present, etc) the better one can appreciate it and the better you will like the people.
Antropologhy, geography, psychology...Very useful...
 
Old 05-15-2010, 07:15 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,354 times
Reputation: 14
Yes, you are expected to continue on in the way you were. Actually, you should not judge anyone in the first place, so therefore there is no reason not to like someone in the first place, is there? It's sad to think that there are people in this world who think like you do!
 
Old 05-15-2010, 07:53 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,354 times
Reputation: 14
Americans are generally "stuck in their own little world". Ask them something about another country, or simply a non-American issue, and chances are they'll have no idea! I'm Canadian with dual citizenship with the U.S.A. and I've lived in the U.S.A. for many months at a time, and can say from experience that the average American is rude, ill-informed about most issues outside of the U.S.A. and a plurality of Americans are actually quite dumb! Sorry for being blunt, but it's a known fact! Countries around the world (especially Japan, China, Canada, and the United Kingdom) laugh at the American education system. It's terrible what the students in the states learn in school! A grade 8 student from Louisville, Kentuckey moved to my hometown back when I was in grade 7 (1992) and was eventually placed in my grade 7 class because he couldn't keep up with the 8th graders. He also had trouble in my grade 7 class, but he apparently was doing very well in grade 8 back in Kentuckey! I remember him saying it was so much harder here in Canada. He also had no knowledge whatsoever of Canada. Apparently Americans learn very little about us, and any other country except for their own. Here in Canada anyways, we learn at a young age about different countries around the world, their cultures, geography, their cities, and way-of-life. It is then that we learn that people are different, and it's ok to be different, because that's who you are. We don't hate other's because they are different, or look different, or belive in a different religion, etc. There is no right or wrong way of anything. Going back to the education system... I remeber learning all the provinces of Canada, and their capitals, of course, but we also had to learn all the American states, and their capitals, which to this day I can still recall all of them, their capitals too! We learn about all prominent countries in the world, and their capitals and prominent cities as well. It seems to show that Americans are taught mostly American issues and American crap like Farenheight! What the hell? The world laughs at them too when it comes to their system of weight, volume, and temperature. Why do they have to be different from the rest of the world? Who ever heard of a scale where the freezing point of water is 32, and the boiling point is 212? Doesn't 0 and 100 make a little more sense? Wow, I'm sorry people, but I can go on forever! And I'm a very nice person who would normally not put down people, or a country like I just did, but after so much bashing from Americans against Canadians, I think I deserve to! P.s. the average Canadian knows as much of the lyrics to the American national anthem as Americans do themselves, but that's probably because the American nation anthem is so poular, and very nice too! See, I said something nice! LOL BUt in the end, people are people, and they are who they are, and no one can change who they are, so we all have to learn to live together (hint, hint, Americans). Also, I have heard many Americans say (when I was living in the states, most people I knew had no idea I'm Canadian) very horrible things about Canada, and some not so horrible, but still just as stupid, that they SERIOUSLY believed! And it hurt me very much that people can be that blind and closed-in. And this happened everywhere I've lived in the U.S. except for Alaska. They are very similar to Canadians. Alaska was the only American state I enjoyed living in! My message to Americans: "Wake up, and smell the coffee", and get that pickle out of your ass!
 
Old 05-15-2010, 07:59 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,354 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosspot View Post
Hyun-Soo,

You'll have to forgive my rudeness, I don't actually remember meeting you, although you clearly got to know everyone from my country quite well and had time to make judgment. My sincere apologies. Does that now mean my nation is absolved as I've been polite?

An example you may understand is that you're clearly not very intelligent, but I've met many intelligent Americans. Thankfully you don't represent them all, I'm sure they would hasten to agree, so where does that leave you? Are you now not American?

Before humiliating yourself with wild negative judgments (the question actually prompted a positive judgment, although besides insulting entire nations the difference is zero) in front of thousands of unknowns (poprocksncoke being the first to point out just one of the flaws in your incredibly infantile logic), think of what a hypocritical **** it reveals you as, control yourself a bit, think about why you're controlling yourself, then make it a characteristic - it'll be second nature eventually.

From Half English, half Northern Irish Steve.... damn, what does that make me?
I agree with you completely! It usually comes down to how educated an individual is, and in America, it's a proven fact that they are the least educated in the educated world, but they believe they are the most educated, with the best universities! Ha! I would never go to an American educational institute of any kind! Canada, or Europe please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top