Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 05:31 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,065,317 times

Advertisements

In Nigerian cities suburbs don't exist because the cities tend to have large boundaries, while in Lagos although their is a gradual decline in density you usually go from about 10,000-15,000 per square mile to just straight countryside and then dense villages every couple of miles. Because of how numerous an dense these villages are the far outskirts of Lagos often has a density approaching 2000 people per square mile in the countryside aand this only really dips when you get out of Lagos State. Lagos is a tale of two cities, Their is West Lagos on the mainland were 20 million+ live. Their is also East Lagos where 1 million live and tends to be richer and lower density even though the lowest density tracts you find are about 10,000 to 15,000 per square mile. My home city of Port Harcourt doesn't have many suburbs and so it goes from dense city into countryside with dense villages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 02:02 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,070 times
In France, suburbs are generally where the poor and low income people live.....the exception being Marseilles (where the poor and low income live downtown, while the higher income earners live in the suburbs).

Old 02-24-2016, 03:13 AM

667 posts, read 939,896 times
In Belarus the boundary between the city and suburbs is usually clear. The city ends quite abruptly, and you get to see mostly fields and forests with some villages and small towns here and there.
However, life in suburbs is becoming more popular, so these suburban villages and towns are being built up. Still, you can easily see the city limits.

Old 02-24-2016, 03:50 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
In France, suburbs are generally where the poor and low income people live.....the exception being Marseilles (where the poor and low income live downtown, while the higher income earners live in the suburbs).
No it is not.
In average, income are higher in suburbs than in the central city. The only exception are Paris and Lyon and even there suburbs are mostly populated by middle class.
The idea that suburbs are generally where the poor and low income people live is a stereotype just based on few suburbs of Paris and Lyon.
(80% of Paris population live in suburbs, do you really believe that 80% of Paris is made of low income people?)

The western suburbs of Paris are some of the wealthiest areas in France.
The City of Paris has a higher poverty rate than the average of Paris metropolitan area.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:37 AM

7,503 posts, read 6,284,169 times
I grew up in a suburb near Lyon and it was quite middle class.

Some suburbs are lower class while others are super weathy.

When I was watching American movies as a teenager where people lived in large houses with a garden and took the car to the supermarket I thought it was exactly like my life, so I was surprised the first time I went to North America and had people asked me if I lived in a 16th century building or if supermarkets existed in Europe.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:46 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
Grew up my whole life in the suburbs or a suburban setting.
Always thought everywhere was like American suburbia until I went to Europe for the first time when I was 16.... I remember looking around and seeing villages and like townhouses or "row-homes"(is that the correct terminology?) where all the houses are stuck together in a big row lining the street.

I also went to Australia and thought it looked much more like America in the sense that the cities had suburbs similar looking to American ones. Even tho the houses were a bit different and architecture a bit different, the layout was familiar and generally the same.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:50 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,790,340 times
We have them all. Some suburbs are more Canadian style with detached houses and large yards, others, especially older are more dense, often having Scandinavian style rowhomes. The third variety are the 60's and 70's concrete blocks where social problems and poverty tend to cluster. The city centre flats are the most lucrative, and as a rule of thumb you could say that the more far from the centre, the cheaper the m2 tends to get.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:05 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
16th century building or if supermarkets existed in Europe.
One of the charms of europe.....

Old 02-24-2016, 01:05 PM

667 posts, read 939,896 times
How visible is the border between the city and suburbs in places where you guys live?

Old 02-24-2016, 02:28 PM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
How visible is the border between the city and suburbs in places where you guys live?
Where I live the vast majority of suburban areas are under the same city administration as the central city areas. It's all one city/municipality. There are no separate services for suburbs like different police, fire, schools, public transport, etc. It is all unified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World