U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:38 PM

46 posts, read 51,391 times

Advertisements

How are suburbs outside of US like? Similar, middle class neighborhoods or different social classes? What is the lifestyle around these areas if anyone visited them before?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 04:08 PM

221 posts, read 498,634 times
everything outside the US is a third world wasteland. even paris - the capital of europe!!

but seriously, JAPAN, AUSTRALIA and many EUROPEAN countries are already covered in google street view.

here you can look not only the suburbs of different cities, but also the city centers and even the countrysides.

from my experience, european cities are different than american ones. most american cities have huge suburbs with a rather small % of the population living in the city center.. while in europe, people tend to prefer the ultimate urban life, rather than the suburban one.

there are some exceptions, though - like paris. you can tell this by looking at the city population, and comparing it to the metro population.

boston is a typical city where the metro population is much bigger than the population within city limits, and moscow is the exact opposite.

as far as quality goes, though, obviously nothing is ever going to come close to the mighty US.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:28 PM

709 posts, read 2,519,462 times
Suburbs in Mexico (at least in Monterrey) are generally middle class.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:39 PM

812 posts, read 2,198,272 times
Quote:
everything outside the US is a third world wasteland.

as far as quality goes, though, obviously nothing is ever going to come close to the mighty US.
lol

Old 08-17-2009, 06:23 PM

887 posts, read 1,478,569 times
Atleast here, suburbs are basically just the same. But if it has rowhouses/apartments it can be more lower class. The real differences are in the inner city areas.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:11 PM

4,225 posts, read 6,231,005 times
In oz the idea of high density housing outside of the central business district has not really caught on yet (although its becoming far more popular these days). As a result Australian Cities cover huge areas. Bisbane my home city is approx 60 miles North to South and 40 Miles east to west and has a population of 1.5 million. Nearly everyone lives in a 3 or 4 Bedroom house on a quarter of an acre of Land. Basically the closer the suburd is to the business district the more expensive the housing becomes.On the whole they are basically middle class neighbourhoods. (with some exceptions of course) Parks and sports grounds are also very numerous. I live in a normal middle class suburb and have 7 full size football (Soccer) and rugby grounds available for public use within 5 minutes drive of my house and as well as 3 public parks (I might be lucky though!). Never being to the USA, assume its quite similar?

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-17-2009 at 11:22 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 04:54 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,137,413 times
The main difference I see here in Germany is that suburbs aren't planned developments. Usually, they are former little villages in the countryside. They grew over time, as well as the big city, and finally they were incorporated. Suburbs are normally accessible by public transportation, mostly metros. Many people prefer to live in a house with a garden in a suburb than to live in a condo or apartment in the city. When size and quality are similar, it's also cheaper to rent/buy in a suburb.
I'd say most suburbs are middle class, while some are upper and some are lower class.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:53 PM

261 posts, read 629,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
everything outside the US is a third world wasteland. even paris - the capital of europe!!

but seriously, JAPAN, AUSTRALIA and many EUROPEAN countries are already covered in google street view.

here you can look not only the suburbs of different cities, but also the city centers and even the countrysides.

from my experience, european cities are different than american ones. most american cities have huge suburbs with a rather small % of the population living in the city center.. while in europe, people tend to prefer the ultimate urban life, rather than the suburban one.

there are some exceptions, though - like paris. you can tell this by looking at the city population, and comparing it to the metro population.

boston is a typical city where the metro population is much bigger than the population within city limits, and moscow is the exact opposite.

This guiy is 100% right paris and europe is a wasteland comparaed to america. I been down to some nice usa suburbs in new york, michigan, indian, and chicago and can say toronto has some comparable suburbs but they are outside the actually city. Otherwise don;t waste your time.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:49 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,467,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
This guiy is 100% right paris and europe is a wasteland comparaed to america. I been down to some nice usa suburbs in new york, michigan, indian, and chicago and can say toronto has some comparable suburbs but they are outside the actually city. Otherwise don;t waste your time.
Ok, just clearing some things out for you... he was being ironic. But you're right - he was 100% right. In what he meant...

Suburbs in Sweden aren't usually the place where you want to live. Nothing wrong with them, it's just... they're not "the place to live". Most people, if they are going to live in a city, want to live IN the city. Not the suburbs.
Suburbs are mostly just "plain" residental areas, i.e. mostly (mostly, not completely or always) taller building complexes and rather (in Swedish standards) crammed together. Not much to do there, since most "fun" and "interesting" things to do are IN the city.
Suburbs is usually where you live when you can't afford to live in the city. Or, as the city is the most popular place to live, when you can't find an appartment in the city.

(I have a cousin, for example, who has been living in different suburbs of Stockholm for close to 9 years now. He's been in a what's called "appartment queue" for 7 years, and NOW he's finally getting an appartment IN the city. He could have afforded one all these years, it's just that he hasn't been able to get one until now.)

Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 PM

1,669 posts, read 5,886,906 times
Markham, Ontario, Canada.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World