U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-08-2009, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Bergen, Norway
221 posts, read 498,432 times
Reputation: 140

Advertisements

here is the source:

Global Cities Index: Melbourne is Best City to Live - Travel, sceneadvisor.com

and the list:

1) Melbourne
2) Zürich
3) Geneva
4) Copenhagen
5) Paris
6) Tokyo
7) New York
8) Vienna
9) Barcelona
10) Singapore
11) Amsterdam
12) Sydney
13) Toronto
14) Bangkok
15) Berlin
16) Hamburg
17) Munich
18) Vancouver
19) London
20) Washington
21) Dusseldorf
22) Cape Town
23) Buenos Aires
24) San Francisco
25) Oslo

so, there you have it.

its good to see a couple of asian cities on that list

i noticed that 14 out of the 25 cities are european..

.. and only 3 are american. how do you all feel about this?

and what do you think of the list in general? does it seem fair?

thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2009, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Czech Republic / United Kingdom
388 posts, read 1,508,702 times
Reputation: 366
♥ New York ♥
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2009, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
4,218 posts, read 6,226,233 times
Reputation: 3450
I always regret not moving to Melbourne when given a job opportunity down their.

For some reason american cities never to well in these surveys!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 12:20 PM
 
4,803 posts, read 6,813,109 times
Reputation: 6242
Seattle seems like it would be very easy to live in. IMHO, easier than NY and San Fran.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Bergen, Norway
221 posts, read 498,432 times
Reputation: 140
anyone else?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 03:45 PM
 
Location: halifax
238 posts, read 831,861 times
Reputation: 171
most other recent lists put Vancouver in the top 5. this one already loses credit there.
why would Melbroune be number 1 ?
they talk about gdp per capita in the article and Australia's nominal gdp per captia has shrunk from 47,400 in 2008 to 34,475 in 2009.
Toronto and Sydney are in the right places, but many other cities don't seem right.

Last edited by grmike; 09-09-2009 at 03:53 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Brisbane
4,218 posts, read 6,226,233 times
Reputation: 3450
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmike View Post
most other recent lists put Vancouver in the top 5. this one already loses credit there.
why would Melbroune be number 1 ?
they talk about gdp per capita in the article and Australia's nominal gdp per captia has shrunk from 47,400 in 2008 to 34,475 in 2009.
Toronto and Sydney are in the right places, but many other cities don't seem right.
Where did you get that GDP Figure from? Australia is the only devleoped country in the world to record postive economic growth over the last 12 months. (At least thats what our newpapers and television stations are telling us). Our dollar has also shot up over 30% against the USD in the last 5 months, from around 63c US in march to currently 86c US. If that GDP figure was taken in $US 5 months ago $34,475 might be about right. However if measured today (as nominal GDP is by my understanding - measured at current prices) it would be much closer to the $47,000 in 2008.

Anyway i have seem lots of these lists and yes Vancouver is always near the top, as is Auckland (New Zealand) which is not their at all? I also think this must be prepared from travellers perspective or something. For instance Bangkok is number 14 on the list? The only word i can think of to describe Bangkok is Chaos! It stil is in some respects a third world city, complete with slums, a dizzy aray of crowded streets packed with a multitude of different forms of tranportation (not all of them machine powered either), the income of your average resident of bangkok would only be a fraction of that of your average german!

Aussies also have a Sydeny vs Melbourne thing, in my opinion Melbourne would be a far Superior place to live.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 09-09-2009 at 06:09 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 07:47 PM
 
Location: halifax
238 posts, read 831,861 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Where did you get that GDP Figure from? Australia is the only devleoped country in the world to record postive economic growth over the last 12 months. (At least thats what our newpapers and television stations are telling us). Our dollar has also shot up over 30% against the USD in the last 5 months, from around 63c US in march to currently 86c US. If that GDP figure was taken in $US 5 months ago $34,475 might be about right. However if measured today (as nominal GDP is by my understanding - measured at current prices) it would be much closer to the $47,000 in 2008.

Anyway i have seem lots of these lists and yes Vancouver is always near the top, as is Auckland (New Zealand) which is not their at all? I also think this must be prepared from travellers perspective or something. For instance Bangkok is number 14 on the list? The only word i can think of to describe Bangkok is Chaos! It stil is in some respects a third world city, complete with slums, a dizzy aray of crowded streets packed with a multitude of different forms of tranportation (not all of them machine powered either), the income of your average resident of bangkok would only be a fraction of that of your average german!

Aussies also have a Sydeny vs Melbourne thing, in my opinion Melbourne would be a far Superior place to live.
latest nominal gdp estimates for 2009
List of countries by future GDP (nominal) estimates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Australia's nominal gdp in 2008 1.1 trillion dollars US
Australia's nominal gdp in 2009 755 billion dollars US

over the same period the country added 700,000 to 1 million people.
that's a decrease of about 13,000 dollars per capita.
It's not unique since every other country suffered a per capita loss (Great Britain, Canada) but Australia's was one of the worst losses. currencies go up and down but there's no denying that the actual gdp figures are lower. when the dollar is higher there's less production as a result of less demand.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2009, 08:16 PM
 
1,107 posts, read 2,824,426 times
Reputation: 478
I live in number 7. Heres my neighborhood.


YouTube - Harlem
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2009, 07:54 PM
 
7,304 posts, read 2,854,049 times
Reputation: 4792
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
For some reason american cities never to well in these surveys!
lol. from my experiences travelling within the cities that consistently rank above american cities in lists such as this, american cities are generally ranked right where they should be. Many of the world cities that rank higher, in these lists, all things considered are generally in another class than anything that is present in the USA.

As a matter of fact, if your comparing this list to the average results in the mercer quality of life rankings, than this list is being generous. I think New York comes in higher on this list because these guys are also using factors that cant be quantified, such as culture... This is highly subjective and no one would take anything away from NYC in this category, insofar as being at least competitive with or even dominating, any other city in the world...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top