Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM

9 posts, read 24,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I think Pyongyang, while bad, is not the worst , or is not alone in that category :
- think the favelas (slums) of Rio or Port of Prince
- think the townships in Jo'Burg or Capetown
- think overcrowded third world cities like Calcutta /kalkata, Bombay, Manila , Abuja (Nigeria), Kinshasa (DRC)
-think of wasted places in Afghanistan, Iraq, Somalia , whre the capital (Mogadiscio) is a ghost town patrolled by warlords.
Oh! but I forgot! N Korea is part of the "Evil Empire" (as Bush put it), so of course it's the worst...
Actually...
go look up N Korea sometime. It is one country that perhaps truly deserves the "Axis of Evil" label.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 08:07 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Just some educated guesses

*Bulawayo, Zimbabwe - It is in one of the most depressed and unsatisfied nation on Earth. Gallup indicates that 91% of Zimbabweans were dissatisfied with their standard of living last year and they're not very optimistic things will get better.

Zimbabweans’ Bleak Views of Economy Reflect Reality

I picked Bulawayo specifically because it's in the more Ndebele region of Zimbabwe. The Ndebele faced some of the most severe repression under Mugabe.
A short documentary about disabled musicians from Bulawayo is up for an Oscar tonight. Kooky.

MICA documentary up for an Oscar - baltimoresun.com

Old 03-07-2010, 08:23 PM

It won.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
I dont know if the people of Pyongyang would be sad or not? They have no idea about how the rest of the world operates, therfore absoultley no idea about what they are missing out on. How can one be sad about missing something they dont even know exists?
So unless they are starving or being held as political prisioners (and lets face it their is loads of places in the world where that happens) why would the people in pyongyang be sad?
As for sad places I am going to have to stick with London, the number of times I heard a brit say something like, why on earth would you leave Australia to live in a place like this, was very suprising. My fellow Aussies need a few lessons in being thankfull for what the have as well however.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 03-07-2010 at 09:16 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 12:10 AM

257 posts, read 619,136 times
Belem, Brazil
Busan, Korea
Albany, New York

Old 03-27-2010, 10:58 PM

Burundi was recently listed as about the worst when it comes to "suffering" versus "thriving" so maybe Bujumbura is among the saddest.

Global Wellbeing Surveys Find Nations Worlds Apart

Old 03-28-2010, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 14,241 times
Never been there (wouldn't go), but I would imagine Pyongyang being rather sad under the totalitarian regime of North Korea.

Also Port Au Prince, due to extreme poverty even before the quake, more so now, of course. (Never been there either)

Old 05-03-2010, 04:21 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,180,281 times
I seriously wouldn't put any US city on my list of world's saddest cities...there are places overseas that make the worst ghettos in the US look like Beverly Hills...

Old 05-03-2010, 05:10 PM

33 posts, read 85,180 times
I think that the saddest cities must be the poorest ones so i think that the first world in general has nothing to do in this discussion.
I think that in general it must be some cities in africa, however i haven't been there to tell for sure.
In Argentina, we have some places that, sadly, i think has nothing to envy to the poorest places in the world.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:12 PM

6,036 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexer View Post
I've never been there, but from what I've seen, Pyonyang, North Korea has to be probably the saddest city in the world. The people seen walking around in this city actually look like robots with nothing but a blank stare on their faces. Sad and scary.
Looking in from the outside would tend to agree.Just wonder if the folk that actually live there feel the same way though?
In that i mean being so isolated and cut off from the rest of the world and fed constant propaganda it is perhaps not inconceivable that they see it another way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World