U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2009, 05:18 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,962,611 times

Advertisements

Is it just me, or do big cities in the US just kind of suck compared to other countries?

In most other countries, in the big cities. There is 24 hour life, all night night life, street vendors and markets all over, and generally there is just an energy everywhere, opportunity around every corner. People doing things everywhere you look.

US cities on the other hand, tend to resemble suburbs to me. Not much street life. Everything shuts down at 2 a.m. (or earlier). And a generally uptight feeling with rules and regulations on just about everything.

It kind of kills the idea of living in a city to me at all. In the US, I think i'll just stick to the small towns.

After seeing how it is in Tokyo, Seoul, Busan, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Rio De Jaeneiro, Brazillia, Lima, Quito, etc. The US cities just don't even compare.

US cities: Live in a concrete jungle, yet still be bored out of your mind
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 01:15 AM

1,252 posts, read 2,510,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Is it just me, or do big cities in the US just kind of suck compared to other countries?

In most other countries, in the big cities. There is 24 hour life, all night night life, street vendors and markets all over, and generally there is just an energy everywhere, opportunity around every corner. People doing things everywhere you look.

US cities on the other hand, tend to resemble suburbs to me. Not much street life. Everything shuts down at 2 a.m. (or earlier). And a generally uptight feeling with rules and regulations on just about everything.

It kind of kills the idea of living in a city to me at all. In the US, I think i'll just stick to the small towns.

After seeing how it is in Tokyo, Seoul, Busan, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Rio De Jaeneiro, Brazillia, Lima, Quito, etc. The US cities just don't even compare.

I don't think US cities suck. I've been here over 26 years and I can tell you I am blessed to be in the US. It is something really subjective to suggest that they suck. You wouldn't be saying that if you lived in Afghanistan or Somalia for example.

As for the rules and regulations, EVERY country has them. What's the point?

It is true that many US cities tend to not have as good public transit systems as European or Asian cities, but at least the homes are bigger which means there is more personal space. You don't feel like you are boxed into some small space.

I just recently visited China and I did not like the way streets in Shanghai or Beijing were constructed. There were too many high curbs, downhill and uphill slopes and the streets were dirty with full of trash. There were also too many bikes and motorcycles parked on the sidewalks. It was a real challenge maneuvering around all these things. In the US, the streets and sidewalks are constructed FAR better than China.

I think its impossible for someone to be bored in a country like the US, but that's just my opinion. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. I'm not saying the US is perfect but its not boring like you think it is.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:54 AM

13,509 posts, read 16,184,374 times
I am an American who has lived in a couple of American cities, and visited others for extended periods. But I moved to Europe where I have lived mainly in towns of 30,000, but spend extended time in much bigger cities.

My observation would be that many European cities are dotted with major squares and many, many smaller ones. These areas are a focus of street life, and in many places these areas are pedestrianized now, which makes them even more appealing.

Most American cities and even smaller towns are enslaved to automobile traffic. When American cities build plazas as part of new developments they are usually hideous, vacant spaces surrounded by monster buildings...and no amount of cutsie tables here and there or trees in pots can redeem their grotesque impersonality...some places do a much better job of reviving older neighborhoods as relaxing places to stroll in or sit and talk with friends.

In America it always seems to me that people are organizing themselves to hop in cars and go somewhere else to do something. I have just found that where I have lived in Europe people still do walk around a lot.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:18 AM

37,377 posts, read 37,691,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post

NYC is the "city never sleeps". The subway systems works 24/7 and you find diners (American-style restaurants) and grocery stores that are open round-the clock. There is also a lot of nightlife that goes past 2AM in Manhattan.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:56 AM

4,803 posts, read 6,813,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am an American who has lived in a couple of American cities, and visited others for extended periods. But I moved to Europe where I have lived mainly in towns of 30,000, but spend extended time in much bigger cities.

My observation would be that many European cities are dotted with major squares and many, many smaller ones. These areas are a focus of street life, and in many places these areas are pedestrianized now, which makes them even more appealing.

Most American cities and even smaller towns are enslaved to automobile traffic. When American cities build plazas as part of new developments they are usually hideous, vacant spaces surrounded by monster buildings...and no amount of cutsie tables here and there or trees in pots can redeem their grotesque impersonality...some places do a much better job of reviving older neighborhoods as relaxing places to stroll in or sit and talk with friends.

In America it always seems to me that people are organizing themselves to hop in cars and go somewhere else to do something. I have just found that where I have lived in Europe people still do walk around a lot.

Good Point. The few cities in the U.S. that do have nice Pedestrian areas where the streets have been closed off seem to be much more memorable than cities that don't.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:16 AM

4,337 posts, read 8,171,751 times
America believe in ''privacy'' and space. That is why most of the cities are spread out and why so many peope live in suburbs. And lets not forget America is still religious and somewhat conservative compare to half of Europe and a few Asian countries. It explains why some places in America banned little things like public smoking or drinking. But at least the US isn't like Muslim countries such as Somalia and Saudi Arabia. Too many rules for me in those type of countries.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:58 PM

79 posts, read 147,550 times
Time and Time again I have to disprove this theory. Please visit Boston, New York, DC, Chicago and SF.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:11 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,549,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstn421 View Post
Time and Time again I have to disprove this theory. Please visit Boston, New York, DC, Chicago and SF.

They still don't compare to European cities, although they are not all the same. Sincerely, the only country where I have seen this kind of "night life in the streets" is Spain, especially during summertime and even in small towns. Most villages in France, England, Germany, Italy, etc are dead at night.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:58 PM

79 posts, read 147,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
They still don't compare to European cities, .
Yes, they do

Old 09-17-2009, 07:56 PM

15,972 posts, read 21,947,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
America believe in ''privacy'' and space.
Having cheap relatively cheap cars and cheap gas helps, too.
In other countries, owning a car is dream, in the US, you can buy a car after working making minimum wage for less than 1 year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World