Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:11 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times

Advertisements

I have traveled throughout the Caribbean and Latin America. One of my personal observations is that people dress differently in other cultures. Here are some of my observations...

1. Sweatpants WILL mark you as a tourist...especially an American.

2. People dress up more in other parts of the world...casual look is not that popular, even on days off...even poor people in the slums of Nicaragua made sure their pants and shirts were clean

3. Shorts are never worn by men. Only children wear shorts in Latin America.

4. NOBODY goes out to a nice restuarant casually dressed.

5. People in Mexico think long hair is only for women...it may get you mocked.

6. Dress pants and collared shirts are indeed popular in Latin America.

However, has anyone else noticed anything else around the world? What else stands out you you about how people outside the US dress? What do people from overseas think about US fashion and style?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I have traveled throughout the Caribbean and Latin America. One of my personal observations is that people dress differently in other cultures. Here are some of my observations...

1. Sweatpants WILL mark you as a tourist...especially an American.

2. People dress up more in other parts of the world...casual look is not that popular, even on days off...even poor people in the slums of Nicaragua made sure their pants and shirts were clean

3. Shorts are never worn by men. Only children wear shorts in Latin America.

4. NOBODY goes out to a nice restuarant casually dressed.

5. People in Mexico think long hair is only for women...it may get you mocked.

6. Dress pants and collared shirts are indeed popular in Latin America.

However, has anyone else noticed anything else around the world? What else stands out you you about how people outside the US dress? What do people from overseas think about US fashion and style?

One thing I noticed when ifirst moved to the US was how much makeup American women wore. They could wear sweats, T shirt and a totally made up face. But at the time I lived on an Army Base and the only women I saw was Army wife's. After I actually moved away from post and entered the civilian world things changed a little.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:24 PM

321 posts, read 960,236 times
That is all hilarious, since I read so many things about how people should dress in Paris and all of the tourist no-nos, which are a bunch of bull turds. On a lot of sites, I have calmed people with a few links on how the Parisians dress in my neighborhood. It has a major calming effect on their worries.

Moderator cut: links to other forums not permitted

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 09-19-2009 at 08:29 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 12:41 PM

43,610 posts, read 44,346,965 times
In Israel women do not wear shorts in the streets. (Shorts are for hiking, the beach, sports activities, etc.)

Old 09-24-2009, 03:57 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
As a European who is very pro-American in many respects one of my pet peeves is how the American dress sense has degenerated in the last decades. I hate seeing adults dressed like gigantic children and I hate the lack of gender definition. Adults should dress like adults. Men should dress like men and women should dress like women. There, I said it.

Last edited by Perfect Stranger; 09-24-2009 at 05:25 AM..

Old 09-24-2009, 04:08 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
For me, I like the fact that Americans are more casual. I found Europeans to be overly stuffy in that regard. Then again, I find the fashion industry to be one of the move over-appreciated and pointless industries in the world.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:41 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
You don't need to be a fashion slave in order to dress appropriately (of course "appropriate" is highly subjective). Americans in the 50's weren't fashion slaves. Actually I bet they spent less money on clothes than modern Americans.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:51 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
Default I'm exactly the opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
As a European who is very pro-American in many respects one of my pet peeves is how the American dress sense has degenerated in the last decades. I hate seeing adults dressed like gigantic children and I hate the lack of gender definition. Adults should dress like adults. Men should dress as men and woman should dress like women. There, I said it.
I'm european too, but I love the casual (and often humorous) way of dressing in the Anglo world, beats the stuffy Euroways and old fashioned posh clothes 10 to i!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:31 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
I love how women dress classy in other countries, especially in Japan, France, Italy, Mexico, Russia, U.K., and several others. A lot of them would wear skirts or dresses with heels and hosiery, and that look is sexy!

Old 09-25-2009, 01:33 PM

202 posts, read 429,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I'm european too, but I love the casual (and often humorous) way of dressing in the Anglo world, beats the stuffy Euroways and old fashioned posh clothes 10 to i!

I strongly disagree. In the old days people dressed up when they went into public, with suits and nice clothing. When I dress like a professional I get looks because everybody looks like they just came out of freaking walmart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World