Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many languages do you speak?
1 82 15.83%
2 173 33.40%
3 148 28.57%
4 70 13.51%
5 or more 45 8.69%
Voters: 518. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 AM

147 posts, read 213,465 times

Advertisements

I speak Filipino (first language) and English. Familiar with some Spanish from work and a lot of Filipino words are from Spanish. Picking up Russian from husband's family, I learned the alphabet and can read. I would be really happy if I can be fluent in another one or two (or more) languages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 12:35 AM

1,488 posts, read 2,610,993 times
I love Romance languages and I'd like to learn French, Italian, Romanian, and Portuguese (fluently). I'm also interested in German because I lived there as a child and would like to visit again. Mandarin, Japanese, and Russian are also on my list!

My native is English and I can read, write, and understand Spanish. My speaking can use a bit more work as I'd like to be a fluent speaker.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,007 times
I know 3 languages - English, Hindi and German

Old 07-23-2011, 05:57 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,989,467 times
I speak American English, South Philly Dialect, and Ebonics.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:59 PM

463 posts, read 1,129,359 times
Spanish, Russian, Dutch (including several dialects), French, English, German.

French, English and Dutch we learn at school, Russian I learned trough my parents, Spanish trough my Cuban girlfriend and extended stay in Cuba, German by self-study. (not all that hard if you already speak Dutch).

I also understand and read Italian, Catalan and Portuguese, as these languages are similar to Spanish, but am not able to speak it. Maybe I don't understand every word, but at least 80% which is enough to understand what's being told, altough not enough to understand the subtleties.

If you speak Russian you understand most of Ukrainian, Belarussian and even Bulgarian languages.

This means I'm able to communicate with nearly everyone in most of
Africa (where most people in most countries speak either English, French or Portuguese), in the former Soviet-Union, Mongolia and some Eastern European countries like Bulgaria (where nearly everyone speaks at least some Russian), in Latin and North America (either English, Spanish, Portuguese, French or Dutch), in the Philippines (either English or Spanish), most of Western Europe, (except Scandinavia).

In most of Asia this is not the case, and it's very frustrating not being able to communicate with most of the people, not understanding television or newspapers.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:30 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svitlana.lederfine View Post
where is Russian?! millions and millions of people speak it!
Top 10 Most Important Languages in the World right now

1.English
2.Spanish
3.Mandarin
4.Arabic
5.French

6-10 (Not in order):
German
Russian
Portuguese
Japanese
Hindustani

Last edited by Davy-040; 07-25-2011 at 01:42 AM..

Old 07-25-2011, 02:52 AM

463 posts, read 1,129,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Top 10 Most Important Languages in the World right now

1.English
2.Spanish
3.Mandarin
4.Arabic
5.French

6-10 (Not in order):
German
Russian
Portuguese
Japanese
Hindustani

mm yes, English is spoken as a second language by billions of people, and as a first language by some 500 million people(English), French by 300 million people (French) as a first language and as a second language by some 200 million people (mainly in Africa).

Spanish is spoken by some 300 million people as a first language, but few people speak it as a second language.

Chinese is spoken by some one billion and a half people (China, overseas Chinese) but rarily as a second language.

German is spoken as a first language by +- 100 million people, and by a few as a second language (mostly in Central Europe and Turkey).

Russian is spoken by some 180 million people as a first language and some 120 million as a seco nd language.

Portuguese spoken by some 300 million people as a first language and by few as a second language.

Hindustani is spokjen by some 300 bmillion people as a first language and by another 850 million as a second language. (India and Bangladesh, suriname, Fiji, Guyana, etc.)

Arabis is spoken by app. 200 million people as a first language and another 200 million as a second language (Iran, Pakistan, ...)

Old 07-25-2011, 02:38 PM

994 posts, read 1,829,608 times
I am speak English, Spanish and currently learning Portuguese, which is going well!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:46 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's really easy. Portuguese is a lot like Spanish. If you're interested, I can give you about 10 algorithms that already allow you to convert a large percentage of Spanish into Portuguese on the fly and successfully be understood by native speakers.

Agreed!

My father picked up Portuguese in Brazil while stationed there. We then went to Mexico, he could converse almost fluently with the Mexicans, with his Portuguese, they just thought he was speaking garbled Spanish!

Old 07-25-2011, 02:57 PM

994 posts, read 1,829,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Agreed!

My father picked up Portuguese in Brazil while stationed there. We then went to Mexico, he could converse almost fluently with the Mexicans, with his Portuguese, they just thought he was speaking garbled Spanish!
Well, I am currently learning Portuguese (actually taking classes) and in the two months I have learned a lot (fyi it's a class for Spanish speakers). Portugese is easy to pick up, however it's pronuciation can be tough sometimes. Honestly, it's beautiful to me it's like if French and Spanish had a baby together they made a beautiful language, Portguese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World