Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 07:37 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
So I'm sitting here reading through all these city vs. city threads and how much of these "my city is better because of this and this..." yeah, yeah, yeah. This happens all the time. So I'm questioned, do other countries (maybe countries such as Brazil, China, Mexico, Australia, etc, with diversity in cities) do this as much as we do? If no or yes, what are some examples? I am wondering if we Americans are really sort of cocky of if it is all pretty normal.
50 states...100's of cities, most of which most Americans haven't seen.

Others can't do it, because they only have a few cities and they already know what they are like.

In the U.S., it is so massive, very very few people have been to all the cities to REALLY know - unlike a small country where you can see the few major cities within a couple of days.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:40 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
50 states...100's of cities, most of which most Americans haven't seen.

Others can't do it, because they only have a few cities and they already know what they are like.

In the U.S., it is so massive, very very few people have been to all the cities to REALLY know - unlike a small country where you can see the few major cities within a couple of days.
Try Russia or China.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:03 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Try Russia or China.
or Brazil.

Actually, it is really only CITY-DATA posters who are comparing U.S. cities. In the U.S., the mass majority of Americans aren't all that interested in comparing other cities whatsoever. Most couldn't even be bothered to look up what state 'Tulsa' is in, or wherever else.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:34 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,275,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Try Russia or China.
You're not comparing the US to Russia or China, are you?

Old 10-19-2009, 06:26 AM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,575 times
Australia and America are very similar...I've lived in both countries.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:14 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You're not comparing the US to Russia or China, are you?
Yes. The question is about the diversity of cities.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:04 AM

221 posts, read 535,349 times
try the European Union.

its basically the same as the United States, just tons better.

we have many more cities than the US.. world class cities such as London and Paris.. then you have Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Berlin. the US cant compare to that.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:38 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,275,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
try the European Union.

we have many more cities than the US.. world class cities such as London and Paris.. then you have Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Berlin. the US cant compare to that.
I suppose 26 nations combined would compare favorably with the U.S.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,822 times
Quote:
try the European Union.

"we have many more cities than the US.. "

The European Union is considered one country now???

You mentioned 7 cities from 6 different countries...Why didn't you keep naming more cities??? Italy is the only country that fits the threads subject. A country with cities that can be compared or considered rivals...Not much diversity tho'

San Diego, L.A., San Francisco, Portland, Seattle...5 cities and I haven't even left the west coast yet...Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Detroit...and I still haven't come close to the East Coast or The South

Old 10-19-2009, 02:41 PM

702 posts, read 3,009,939 times
Quote:
try the European Union.

Well to be fair, the EU is not a country and does not have the natural diversity found in the U.S.

I do admit that taken as a whole, EU have better cities than the U.S. due to its cultural diversity. However, this same cultural diversity is what makes the EU a union in name only and not in practice. People in Scandinavia have nothing in common nor care what happens to Italians for example.

So let's say it is a tie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World