Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:11 AM

354 posts, read 855,485 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about trying to learn a foreign language. It is something that I always wanted to do. I took Spanish classes in high school because I was told it was the easiest to learn. I didn't have to take a foreign language in college. I have no desire to continue to learn Spanish (Due to a variety of reasons I would rather not get into in this post).

I live in the US. I'm thinking about French, Italian or German. I don't think I would have the patience to learn an Asian language. What would you recommend? I will be probably training myself through a computer program but I'm thinking about maybe taking a class at the local community college. I would like something that would really allow me to "grow". You know something that would open up a lot of doors for me both professionally and personally.

If I'm training myself it would also be good if someone could let me know which language tends to be easiest to learn through self study. Also what language is most fun to learn or most interesting to learn in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,294,996 times
What about Hebrew or Arabic. Easy for me to say, I just don't seem to get the hang of different languages, and did terribly in school. I remember a word here & there, that's it.
The reason I suggested the above is because of the situation in our world today. I think it would put you alittle above the more familiar ones.
Also, you could probably get tutoring or assistance from your local temple or mosque. And learn the cultures as well.
(I'd love to learn hebrew. My best friend growing up was jewish, and her parents were always talking things infront of us we couldn't understand) (I participated in all her religious holidays, and she in mine. It was really a wonderful acknowledgement of the respect for our differences)

Whatever you decide, learning will never go to waste. Good luck.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
What about Hebrew or Arabic. Easy for me to say, I just don't seem to get the hang of different languages, and did terribly in school. I remember a word here & there, that's it.
The reason I suggested the above is because of the situation in our world today. I think it would put you alittle above the more familiar ones.
Also, you could probably get tutoring or assistance from your local temple or mosque. And learn the cultures as well.
(I'd love to learn hebrew. My best friend growing up was jewish, and her parents were always talking things infront of us we couldn't understand) (I participated in all her religious holidays, and she in mine. It was really a wonderful acknowledgement of the respect for our differences)

Whatever you decide, learning will never go to waste. Good luck.
Hebrew may be a good idea. I had a friend in college that learned Hebrew so she could learn more about Christianity and understand the bible better. She found it extremelly interesting.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:02 AM

221 posts, read 535,546 times
German or maybe Russian?

Both are more widely spoken than french and italian.

also, something like 60% of all japanese students take german, i think.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:09 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
It depends entirely on your intended purpose. If you want a marketable skill for the future, then Hindi (which is NOT a difficult language to learn) or Chinese ( which really is difficult) will give you an important edge. If you want to be a scientist, then German and Russian are important. If you want a defense job in the conflict areas, Farsi, Arabic, Pashtu, Dari, Sindi will be valuable. Hebrew and Greek are very important for Bible study. If you just want to know another language and live in the US, Spanish is really hard to beat all around (I know you have your reasons to not pursue it). Buenas Suerte!

Old 10-13-2009, 12:58 PM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Since you have already studied Spanish, it would easier for you to learn Italian, Portuguese or French.
Hebrew is not an easy language to learn as you have to learn a new alphabet as well as complicated grammar.
Again which language you choose to study really depends on why you are learning it.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:10 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times
Choose a language spoken in countries that appeal to you. If you like the culture, then learning the language will be more pleasant, even if it's not easy!
Among the three languages you are thinking about, I would say Italian is the easiest, but it's still close to Spanish and some people tend to get mixed up. I personally studied both and did not have any problem, though.
I tried to learn some German at some point, but I didn't like it - I've never really been into German culture, and it really made the language less appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by City of Rain View Post
German or maybe Russian?
Both are more widely spoken than french and italian.
When talking about widely spoken languages, we have to be aware that it can mean "spoken by a large population". Yes, German is officially more spoken than French, but it's spoken in fewer countries!
For instance, French is one of the official languages in many countries. It's spoken in several European countries ( parts of Belgium, Luxemburg, Switzerland...), in Canada (Quebec), in many African countries (Ivory Coast, Morocco...), and of course in the French overseas "territories" or "départements" (Tahiti, New Caledonia, Martinique etc)...
German is only spoken in Germany, Austria, parts of Switzerland and a few small other areas in Europe.
Same for Mandarin (Chinese), for instance: most widely spoken language in the world, but spoken nowhere outside China!
What I say is: when we want to study a language just because it could be useful, we have to think about which countries it is spoken into... and see if that's what we're looking for!

Last edited by Sudcaro; 10-13-2009 at 04:03 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 08:55 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Yahi. Ishi would be proud. Besides, you'd be the first kid on your block to learn it.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:28 PM

898 posts, read 1,402,647 times
Well, out of the bunch, German would be more similar to English, as both are Germanic Languages. It probably wouldn't be hard to find a community college course in German either.

You don't have to limit yourself to "mainstream" languages either, if you're willing to devote some time to self-study. I'm currently teaching myself Icelandic, prior to that, I was learning Scottish Gaelic.

Whatever you get for self-study courses, get the audio! It is an invaluable tool not just for pronunciation, but for getting your ears acclimated to hearing the new language. It can be hard picking out words at first, but the tapes help get you used to it.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Well, out of the bunch, German would be more similar to English, as both are Germanic Languages. It probably wouldn't be hard to find a community college course in German either.

You don't have to limit yourself to "mainstream" languages either, if you're willing to devote some time to self-study. I'm currently teaching myself Icelandic, prior to that, I was learning Scottish Gaelic.

Whatever you get for self-study courses, get the audio! It is an invaluable tool not just for pronunciation, but for getting your ears acclimated to hearing the new language. It can be hard picking out words at first, but the tapes help get you used to it.
Melinux - Were you able to learn the language you chose through self study? How was self study? Do you have anymore tips for someone that is learning a language through self study? How long did it take you?

I live in Pennsylvania so it is easy to find a comunity college that teaches German. They even offerered it in my High School. It is like French in Lousiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World