Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:13 AM

49 posts, read 146,420 times

Advertisements

Other than South Africa, that is.

Anyone know of any countries or regions of countries that match the topic's criteria? Countries that speak romance languages and a good bit of english are ok too, particularly french and spanish since I'm strong in both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 01:34 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Very cheap coutires where english is the official language include.
- India
- Pakistan
- Phillipines
- New Zealand (Just kidding on that one sorry)!

Mid cost countries include
- Singaore
- Malaysia

In all of the above not everyone will speak english, however you will have very little problem finding someone whos first language is english. The hard part maybe understanding what they are saying!

Also should add that most of the pacific islands have english as their first language, as well as most of the Carabein islands, and 20 or so other countries in africa. I am not sure about costs however.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:34 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,449 times
Are you thinking of living and working abroad ? If so I'm not sure your question is relevant. You would almost certainly be paid in the local currency and all your living expenses would be in that currency. So it's exchange rate with the dollar wouldn't really matter.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:47 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
If you have dollars you will quickly find English speakers in any country.

When I visited Russia in the early 90s the rouble was so worthless it was pointless changing your currency as no one accepted it from foreigners. Ten dollars was like a month's wage, so your buying power was incredible. No doubt it is different now.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:23 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
The Philippines is ideal. They have a large newspaper all in English, plus the majority of signs are in English. Occassionally you'll see one of their many native languages put up somewhere, and it'll strike you odd that it doesn't make sense. Then you'll quickly remember that it isn't really an all English speaking country, but at times, it certainly feels like it!

Old 10-20-2009, 08:40 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Very cheap coutires where english is the official language include.
- India
- Pakistan
- Phillipines
- New Zealand (Just kidding on that one sorry)!

Mid cost countries include
- Singaore
- Malaysia

In all of the above not everyone will speak english, however you will have very little problem finding someone whos first language is english. The hard part maybe understanding what they are saying!

Also should add that most of the pacific islands have english as their first language, as well as most of the Carabein islands, and 20 or so other countries in africa. I am not sure about costs however.
You suck! LOL

Actually, I wouldn't mind visiting India. How safe are India and the Philippines? (socially & environmentally)

Old 10-20-2009, 09:16 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
You suck! LOL

Actually, I wouldn't mind visiting India. How safe are India and the Philippines? (socially & environmentally)
I've spent a lot of time in the Philippines, and Manila CAN feel dangerous, but generally I find the Philippines to be safe. Basically you have the provinces (everything that ISN'T Manila) and you have Manila when it comes to safety. Generally Manila is the one with the shifty characters around, the rest of the country is fairly free from it.

There are an extreme muslim group - Abu Sayyaf that is in the farthest reaches of Mindinao. The U.S. military is all over Mindinao though, training Filipino forces, etc.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:24 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Bangladesh

Old 10-22-2009, 12:05 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Quote:
You suck! LOL

India is horrific. I'm a pretty travel-hardened individual; from dodging rioters and red army in Xinjang to being chased down the road by an irate farmer screaming in some rural Slovak dialect in Molynrovce, I've seen the good and the pretty bad, but I can't believe the condition of India north of Mumbai (Bombay). The south isn't much better, either.

It is, however, very safe and VERY cheap. If you have a strong stomach or just don't give a damn about hygiene, you could have a really good time for really really cheap.

Indian food is awesome, and almost worth the price you pay later. Indian beer is crap, but it's a cheap way to help you forget ignore all stuff you might find you don't like.

I'd recommend you visit, but go in expecting an ordeal you're going to hate. Of course, you can always spend western quantities of money and insulate yourself in the pretty and rich places, but then you might as well just stay home.

If you want cheap, nice, with lots of English speakers, I'd suggest Thailand. Cambodia and Vietnam are good too.

On the other side; Slovakia and Greece are nice, cheaper than the US and the rest of Europe, but much pricier than asia.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:08 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,173 times
Quote:
You suck! LOL

Boracay is really nice, very friendly locals too! (Philippines)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World