Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 02:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,973 times

Advertisements

It's probably I will be sent to Papua New Guinea on bussiness. Anyone happened to be there before? How about daily life there?

Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 02:34 PM

54 posts, read 191,384 times
I don't mean to scare you off but I think there's lots of poverty and cannibals there...

Old 05-12-2007, 07:52 PM

2 posts, read 7,973 times
Oh, boy! Really?

If I won't, I'm afraid I will lose the job.

a hot potato!

Old 05-12-2007, 09:34 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,384,792 times
I was almost stationed there and learned about the cannibals among other things. Look up the CIA country report - it's on the web and also the wiki.

Make sure to take extra salt incase they run out. (Just kidding).

Old 05-13-2007, 03:34 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,650,205 times
Papua New Guinea is an extremely beautiful country and the people are lovely and very friendly. Most Papua New Guineans live a rural and subsistence based existence with some farming but a lot of hunting, fishing and gathering. Though they will poor by your standards they can feed themselves and seem very happy that way so I would not consider this actual poverty. There has been a lot of political conflicts between native PNG tribes as Indonesia has sent colonists to many parts and taken over their land , causing conflict and increasing poverty but when I was there I always found the people utterly charming. The highlands are absolutely stunning and one of the most beautiful places on earth , with an amazing wildlife and some fantastic rainforests . If you love nature, hiking etc... you should love it. It is a very underdeveloped country for most parts but this only adds to its charms. As far I know canibalism has not been practised since pretty much the thirties and the PNG always tease visitors knowing the fascination we have with this subject and will regale you with grandpa's exploits, with a big smile and a twinkle in the eye. Personally I think you will never get a chance like this again to visit one of the world's still relatively undiscovered parts of the world but I guess some people might find it a bit out of their comfort zone. I hope you will go and have a great time.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,068 times
Wink You'll Never Know If You Never Go

PNG is one of the most beautiful countries in the world. Located on half of the second largest Island in the world (New Guinea). It is classified as a third world nation, has a democratic system of government, current Prime Minister is Sir Michael Somare, & is near the equator, hence a tropical climate! The official language of the country is English (taught in schools & used in business sector) although the country boasts 800 different languages! The capital city is Port Moresby. There are 19 provinces. Flora & Fauna abounds, customs & culture are rich & most Papua New Guineans are very polite & curious of foreigners. I hope you do go & find out for yourself as is often quoted about PNG it is 'the land of the unexpected' !!

Old 05-22-2007, 07:35 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,440,719 times
When I was a little girl, a relative of my family (he was a priest there), told us facinating stories. Yes, and they included cannibalism
But, as time went by, those tribes got a bit more civilized, even though, I do not believe it has completely stopped between the rivaling tribes there. (And, who's there to tell otherwise?? lol )
If I would have the opportunity, I would be on the plane yesterday!!
Go places NOW...when you are dead it's to late....
Have a wonderful time,and a safe trip! Enjoy!

Old 06-07-2007, 01:07 PM

255 posts, read 1,196,440 times
Default Papua New Guinea

Csuleer, Hi:

I lived in Papua New Guinea from 1995 to 1997 and visited a couple of times before that. That's quite a long time ago but things are not that different now. You do need to know that there is a law and order problem in the country and vigilance is important. You don't mention where you're going to be living.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:19 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,956,154 times
Try these sites: Fodors.com and thorntree.lonelyplanet.com

Both are travel sites which have forums about PNG and Oceania travel experiences.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:26 PM

9 posts, read 22,785 times
Also try these following websites which will help you to prepare for your visit to PNG:

"Papua New Guinea,Tourism, Business Directory, Flight schedules,Tourism,Forum,Photos"
www.pngtourisim.com.pg (broken link)
The Papua New Guinea Investment Promotion Agency - Home
www.www.png-gossip.com (broken link)

Have fun!!! PNG is the land of the unexpected!!!

Cheers

Jordy07
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World