Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:37 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,265 times

Advertisements

I am an American. I would LOVE to gain dual citizenship in another country. Any country, even a developing country or a dangerous one. I just want to have other options, be able to live and work in other places without visa hassles, and perhaps own property in a foreign country

I have been living in Asia for a couple years and in the countries i've been to, visa requirements are strict and naturalization into these countries is not easy. Dealing with the visa process every year is also a very tedious process. So i'm looking for a better way.

I know this is a broad questtion and I plan on doing a lot of research on this myself. I am just hoping to get a pointer in the right direction. Then after I rearch it further i'll share my findings.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 08:34 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,824 times
Canada and Australia have some of the shortest length of legal residency requirements to gain citizenship at 3 years each. Both have a points system to qualify for residency, I believe the immigration sites for both countries have a point calculator to see if you qualify. The New Zealand system might also be similar to Australia, but I have not looked into it.

Most of Europe ranges from 5-10 years of legal residency before becoming eligible Citizenship.

Some countries offer citizenship for a big payment and/or investment if you have a lot of money to spare.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:11 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
One can immigrate to Israel & gain Israeli citizenship if one is Jewish or has at least one Jewish grandparent. (In this case, the person gets Israeli citizenship 3 months after arriving in the country.)

Old 11-09-2009, 05:14 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,668 times
In the UK you are eligible for citizenship after 3 years if you're here through marriage. It's 5 years if you're here on work permit.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
One can immigrate to Israel & gain Israeli citizenship if one is Jewish or has at least one Jewish grandparent. (In this case, the person gets Israeli citizenship 3 months after arriving in the country.)
I don't have any Jewish family. Maybe I can lie and say I do?

Old 11-09-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
In the UK you are eligible for citizenship after 3 years if you're here through marriage. It's 5 years if you're here on work permit.
Thanks for the tip on that.

I am very much so against marrying my way into a country though. I could do that here in Asia, but I don't want to lock that ball and chain around my ankle just yet.

I have heard that some very poor, wartorn countries will very easily let some people gain citizenship. Is this true? I do not really want to live in a rich western country anyway.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:00 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,234,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Seriously?

Old 11-09-2009, 10:21 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,668 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip on that.

I am very much so against marrying my way into a country though. I could do that here in Asia, but I don't want to lock that ball and chain around my ankle just yet.

I have heard that some very poor, wartorn countries will very easily let some people gain citizenship. Is this true? I do not really want to live in a rich western country anyway.
You're not assuming that anyone who is in a country through marriage is in a fake marriage in order to live in the country

Old 11-09-2009, 12:53 PM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
That probably won't work as they may ask you to prove that you are Jewish or the Jewishness of one of your grandparents with religious documents.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:28 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
I'm not sure you have a very realistic grasp on what it takes to become a citizen of another country. You seem to be interested in automatically obtaining a citizenship without spending years living and working there under a visa. As far as I'm aware, without a family or ancestral tie to a country, you pretty much have NO chance of that. I've read that in some countries, if you join their army, you can gain citizenship within a year but I'm pretty sure that's not the path you're looking for - and also pretty sure it would threaten your US citizenship.

Apparently Argentina only requires you are a resident for 2 years before you can apply for citizenship. That is the least amount of time I've been able to find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World