Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 12:11 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times

Advertisements

I will also add a prediction. As the U.S economy continues to decline, American women may show more interest in the men they currently (often unfairly) judge as nerds. What would really cause a revolution in sexual selection is if the economy get's so bad that drastic cuts have to be made to the welfare state. Currently the tax revenue is declining to support social spending. We are defecit spending to keep these programs alive. But if welfare eventually is eliminated all of the sudden the dangerous, exciting, bad boy will lose his appeal,especially for fathering illegitimate children. The smart, stable decent men currently judged as being "nerds" will be in demand. With no welfare state it will be recognized that these are the finest men to raise a family with. This is assuming the economic collapse isn't so severe that nerds are also unemployed in large numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 12:18 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
There is a site I visit that posts photos of the Latin American club scene. I like to look at the beautiful Latin women. One thing I can't help but notice is how nerdy the guys look compared to the U.S. I don't like the word nerd. What I am trying to say is that compared to the U.S many of the men are skinny and don't have a muscular build. They just look normal to me, but they would be rejected as nerds in the U.S. This site also has pictures of U.S clubs in cities with large Hispanic populations and what a dfference. U.S men are so tough looking and bad ass, they have to be that way to survive the dating market place. Another thing, U.S men are covered in tattoos while this is unusual in Latin America.

Latin America is known for traditonal sex roles and the U.S is the so called advanced feminist nation yet hypermasculinity is much more common in the U.S! Russian men also just look normal, the steroid buffed up look isn't common, yet the skinny Russian guys are hanging with beautiful women. Here's something I noticed... in nations where women really play up thir femininity to the max with stylish clothes, heels etc (Latin America, Eastern Europe) men do not have to be hypermasculine. While in the U.S that has an increasing amount of plain jane women men feel pressue to look like manly man warriors.

One disclaimer, the Latin photos are in upscale clubs in generally poor countries. Perhaps machismo is considered distasteful and low class in these nations, like it used to be in the U.S until about 20 years ago. So the photos I am seeing might not be a representitive sample?
I think while Latin men may not appear to chest-beat etc as much, their mindset is probably more traditional than most American men. I.e. being the head of the household etc.

It's funny what you say about more plain jane American women. Here in Oz, women get all dolled up but the way they act doesn't match up, lol.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:44 PM

871 posts, read 1,631,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
One disclaimer, the Latin photos are in upscale clubs in generally poor countries. Perhaps machismo is considered distasteful and low class in these nations, like it used to be in the U.S until about 20 years ago. So the photos I am seeing might not be a representitive sample?
that is so wrong. machismo was considered distasteful up until about 20 years ago in america? are you drunk?

and also you think traditional machismo is not prevalent in latin america??!

Old 11-12-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I used to think it was Japan, but lately I've been noticing a lot of girls that pass up nice guys for bad-boy or "thug" types that treat them like dirt. At least that seems to be the case in Roppongi. I'm sure not all Japanese girls are like that. I think the deal with Roppongi is that girls have known so many American guys from all the military that go there, and know a lot more about the American culture, that they have a higher standard for what they consider cool, similar to American girls.
to be totally frank, those japanese girls that frequent roppongi are trashy anyways. "high standards" is a laugh.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
A charming and extroverted man who can discuss Riemann geometry over cognac is not really "a nerd" as I understand it.
No. If you are discussing geometry, science fiction, astronomy etc, then you are considered a nerd by general society. A cognac doesn't make the difference.

Many people are surprised to realize that some people who are not considered nerds are socially inept also. It's just that they may be a majority, so it is construed as the opposite. Many have bad manners, low emotional intelligence or control, poor critical thinking skills, insensitivity, sometimes to even extreme crassness or immorality etc. A society's baseline is not necessarily a truth but relative.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:37 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Just a kinda fun question for a rainy day:

All other things being equal, what areas of the world have women who are really receptive to more intellectual, brainy, type guys?
In my experience European women seem to be a lot more interested in a man's personality than American women are.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:43 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
My guess would be certain Scandinavian countries and then urban areas of China, South Korea, and Japan. lol I know it's a generalization, but it seems to me as if the glasses, argyle sweaters, and feminine asymmetrical haircuts are in style in those countries.

And then perhap any place that is dirt poor where the women are desperate to marry a man with money. Sometimes nerd equates to money for a woman.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:24 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
My guess would be certain Scandinavian countries
Not in Sweden.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:49 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,332,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Not in Sweden.
Oh, javisst

I wasn't saying everyone out there is like that. But I went to Sweden and Norway twice in different cities (Stockholm and Malmo) and I couldn't tell the difference between the men and the women.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:20 PM

888 posts, read 1,591,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Oh, javisst

I wasn't saying everyone out there is like that. But I went to Sweden and Norway twice in different cities (Stockholm and Malmo) and I couldn't tell the difference between the men and the women.
Oh goddamn!! and i live so close to them. We gotta shut em borders right now, please...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World