Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2011, 09:26 PM

109 posts, read 160,132 times

Advertisements

I would think it depends on your personal preference in context to the question, what parts of the world one is interested in.

German, would give you an advantage in learning/understanding all the Germanic languages. For instance, take a look at my translator, see how in many languages, words are very similar to the original Germanic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snap1.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	74229

Secondly Russian, look how many countries it is spoken in, due to the former Soviet Union. And as with German, Russian would give you at least a foot in the door with other Slavic languages, Ukrainian, Czech..

I would choose German, Russian

Last edited by Josh_1974; 01-15-2011 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 10:16 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,015,870 times
It is also depends on what your ethnical background is - if you're a non-chinese asian, learning Chinese would definitely be more useful than e.g. Spanish or other European languages. People tend to associate more with those that share similar cultures and the same ethnicity.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:19 PM

59 posts, read 155,448 times
As someone who has traveled to 54 countries, I'll add a vote for French.

It's an official language on 4 continents (Europe, North America, Africa, South America), in the Caribbean (Guadalupe, Martinique, St. Martin, etc.), South Pacific (Tahiti, Wallis & Futuna, New Caledonia, Vanuatu) and Indian Ocean (Reunion, Mayotte, Mauritius). It's also still widely spoken in parts of the Middle East (i.e., Lebanon and Israel) and southeast Asia as a second language.

While it's not difficult to find people who speak enough English to get by in places like Beijing, Shanghai, Buenos Aires, Rio, etc., I've always found it harder when I've traveled through French speaking areas to get by without conversational French.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 2,843 times
Chinese would be my choice if I would attempt putting another language in my already confused head

Old 07-15-2016, 11:35 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Mandarin......if this is an award for the most overhyped language.

French easily, or Spanish.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:29 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,291 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Chinese won't replace English because most Chinese leaders and business people can speak decent English. Chinese will become more influential, but English is probably too entrenched as the international language. English is also a fairly easy language to learn and many countries have been teaching English as a second language for decades.

English is the international trade language. As for a secondary language it all depends on where one wants to go. One couldn't go wrong with Spanish, French, Mandarin, or Arabic. Those are all important trade languages.

As an American, Farsi and Russian aren't as important simply because we don't trade as much with those countries.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 01-25-2017 at 02:54 PM..

Old 01-24-2017, 09:46 PM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
Lol @ Chinese as a world language. Dream on.

Old 01-24-2017, 09:52 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,966,685 times
French or German, personally.

Spanish is detestable.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:52 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,176,383 times
There is no such thing as a second global language after English. The elites and hospitality people in every country already speak or try to speak English.
What second language is beneficial to you depends on where you are, your ethnic background and your personal interest. If you're into anime, for example, then it makes sense to take up Japanese. It will be easier because of your interest and you may be able to make use of it professionally some day.

If you need to ask an online forum what to take then it probably doesn't make sense for you to invest in the thousands of hours needed to gain basic proficiency in a new language. With that time you can get all sorts of professional certificates or learn a few musical instruments.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:59 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,176,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Mandarin......if this is an award for the most overhyped language.

French easily, or Spanish.
I agree that learning Mandarin would not likely be of much practical value for most but the title of most overhyped language should go to Spanish. While many countries do speak it none of the Spanish speaking countries are world powers or even desirable destinations for emigration. Spain itself has a lower per capita income than the US and boasts 20%+ unemployment. I can understand its utility if you live in certain parts of the US but it makes no more sense for anyone else to learn Spanish than, say, Japanese or Arabic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World