Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2017, 08:25 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,884 times

Advertisements

Top Ten Internet Languages - World Internet Statistics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 12:06 PM

140 posts, read 151,744 times
There is not global language No.2 after English. Yes Mandarin and Spanish have potential, but their potential is limited.

English is simply global lingua franca and will remain for long time.

We need to realize why people learn languages/for economic, cultural, personal, travel reasons. We can agree that economic reasons are the most important.

Based on this in Europe after English German/French are needed or Russiaj/Spanish/Italian if we go country by country.

In North America Spanish, in South America Spanish or Portuguese/Brazilians are learning Spanish and rest slowly Portuguese (obviously right now is Brazil not great in economic terms, but there is still potential for brazilian economic dominance in South America).

In Africa it is French, Arabic, Swahili or Portuguese. In Middle East French/Arabic, maybe Farsi or Turkish in the future. In SouthEastern and Eastern Asia -Mandari and Japanese are studied.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:11 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
French or German, personally.

Spanish is detestable.
In a global context, there's no benefit to learning these languages, unless of course you build a teaching/translating career or something.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:17 PM

510 posts, read 609,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I agree that learning Mandarin would not likely be of much practical value for most but the title of most overhyped language should go to Spanish. While many countries do speak it none of the Spanish speaking countries are world powers or even desirable destinations for emigration. Spain itself has a lower per capita income than the US and boasts 20%+ unemployment.
The US is the country with the 4th largest Spanish speaking population--it's a world power, is it not? :-)

And I think that economic power is not the only metric for determining if a language is worth learning. Entertainment output is also a good metric. Becoming fluent (and knowledgeable of foreign laws and customs) enough to actually conduct business in a foreign language and benefit from that economic output is really hard, but being able to enjoy entertainment from other countries (or even your own country--the US produces many Spanish language TV shows and movies and songs. France also has some famous Spanish language entertainers. etc.) is an easier bar to reach. Since so many countries speak Spanish, there is huge output of Spanish language media.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:46 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
The US is the country with the 4th largest Spanish speaking population--it's a world power, is it not? :-)

And I think that economic power is not the only metric for determining if a language is worth learning. Entertainment output is also a good metric. Becoming fluent (and knowledgeable of foreign laws and customs) enough to actually conduct business in a foreign language and benefit from that economic output is really hard, but being able to enjoy entertainment from other countries (or even your own country--the US produces many Spanish language TV shows and movies and songs. France also has some famous Spanish language entertainers. etc.) is an easier bar to reach. Since so many countries speak Spanish, there is huge output of Spanish language media.
Despite what many residents of Miami claim you don't need Spanish to get by in the US

I agree learning a language to enjoy another culture's entertainment is a better and more fun proposition than doing it just for career advancement. By that metric Hindi, Korean and Farsi are often overlooked. The Nigerian tongue that most Nollywood films are made in may also be a good candidate.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:25 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,792,630 times
Quote:
Despite what many residents of Miami claim you don't need Spanish to get by in the US

I agree learning a language to enjoy another culture's entertainment is a better and more fun proposition than doing it just for career advancement. By that metric Hindi, Korean and Farsi are often overlooked. The Nigerian tongue that most Nollywood films are made in may also be a good candidate.
It's quite arrogant to say that you need Spanish to get by anywhere in the US. But, if you speak it, it can be an economic benefit. I earn $150 extra monthly for being fluent in Spanish at my job.

I'm trying to see if I can get an economic benefit to having learned Portuguese yet, but I haven't found anything yet.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:20 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
French or German, personally.

Spanish is detestable.
Why is Spanish detestable?

Old 01-25-2017, 07:21 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times
Quote:
I agree that learning Mandarin would not likely be of much practical value for most but the title of most overhyped language should go to Spanish. While many countries do speak it none of the Spanish speaking countries are world powers or even desirable destinations for emigration. Spain itself has a lower per capita income than the US and boasts 20%+ unemployment. I can understand its utility if you live in certain parts of the US but it makes no more sense for anyone else to learn Spanish than, say, Japanese or Arabic.
What about South and Central America and Mexico?

Old 01-25-2017, 08:18 PM

178 posts, read 184,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
It's quite arrogant to say that you need Spanish to get by anywhere in the US. But, if you speak it, it can be an economic benefit. I earn $150 extra monthly for being fluent in Spanish at my job.
What's your job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I'm trying to see if I can get an economic benefit to having learned Portuguese yet, but I haven't found anything yet.
I'd suggest you to improve your Spanish to native-like fluency (if you haven't really achieved that yet)

Old 01-25-2017, 08:24 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,169,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
What about South and Central America and Mexico?
What's your point? Are any of these countries next in line for a permanent seat on the UN Security Council?
This thread is about which language is important in the global context. Why would anyone in Asia, Africa or Europe learn Spanish in favor of any other major language? Are even Brazilians learning Spanish in large numbers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World