Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:03 AM

12 posts, read 80,269 times

Advertisements

Yes Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 04:58 PM

79 posts, read 249,154 times
Why on earth a Middle Eastern langue? Odd.

Spanish I think. Especially if you live in the States.
The other reason is because once you know Spanish it's easy to learn Italian.

If you live in Australia, I would say Italian would be a good start.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,379,012 times
Français--La langue diplomatique.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:51 AM

655 posts, read 2,174,993 times
I think Spanish is proving to become incredibly important in the future.

From a US perspective, as the Hispanic population continues to boom - indeed, it is expected to exceed the Caucasian population by 2020, I believe it is - Spanish will become as common in the US as English is. Plus, Spanish is perhaps the most used language worldwide, after English. [Perhaps even before English.]

I think in the future, Spanish might actually overtake English.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:40 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,184,455 times
The consensus seems to be English, Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, roughly in that order; in core continental Europe, French, German and Russian as you go west to east.

I do English (native), the Romance languages (minus Romanian), and Greek, and I would encourage my child, whose mother is native Spanish, to study Mandarin, Arabic, or Russian, depending on where his interests may develop.

Speaking of which, as I believe someone has already mentioned, studying a language, for important as it is, is not as important as developing skills in one or two economically gainful technical areas, whether it be general engineering, information & communications technology, finance, law, medicine, etc.

I do finance/economics and five languages and I'm not starving to death, while people with two or more languages and literature, for example, usually need to be subsidized.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:18 PM

469 posts, read 2,729,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo50 View Post
Why on earth a Middle Eastern langue? Odd.
Arabic is the language of the Quran and thusly of educated Muslims the world over. There is demand for Arabic translators and interpreters, so learning it can be good from a career perspective.

Old 08-11-2007, 03:31 PM

72,314 posts, read 18,148,981 times
Chinese and Spanish

Old 08-11-2007, 04:48 PM

170 posts, read 751,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
I think Spanish is proving to become incredibly important in the future.

From a US perspective, as the Hispanic population continues to boom - indeed, it is expected to exceed the Caucasian population by 2020, I believe it is - Spanish will become as common in the US as English is. Plus, Spanish is perhaps the most used language worldwide, after English. [Perhaps even before English.]

I think in the future, Spanish might actually overtake English.

you are incorrect, english, chineese and french all have more speakers than spainish here is an interesting list i found of most influential languages in the world.

After weighing six factors (number of primary speakers, number of secondary speakers, number and population of countries where used, number of major fields using the language internationally, economic power of countries using the languages, and socio-literary prestige), Weber compiled the following list of the world's ten most influential languages:
(number of points given in parentheses)

English (37)
French (23)
Spanish (20)
Russian (16)
Arabic (14)
Chinese (13)
German (12)
Japanese (10)
Portuguese (10)
Hindi/Urdu (9)

chinese is at number 6 but i am sure that will eventually end up in the top 3, i also feel it is a safe bet that english will remain the number one international language to do busness in.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:15 PM

72,314 posts, read 18,148,981 times
I can't believe that French and Russian are that popular!

Old 08-12-2007, 01:00 AM

1,397 posts, read 4,834,520 times
When it comes to jobs, I think that that has to be some Asian language, maybe Japanese, because there are many large companies that outsource their manufacturing to Asian countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World