Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:15 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,318,295 times

Advertisements

If you want to make money in your future....learn Chinese...and get an Masters in Business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 10:13 PM

469 posts, read 2,737,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
Unfortunaly, the things you don't aware of is the fact there is not just one arabic language. An algerian cannot understand someone who is from Iran for example whereas both speaks a form of arabic language. Unfortunaly, the arabic language everyone could understand is the one present in the Quran which is not spoken anymore. And if you speak arab to an algerian you have a lot of chances he doesn't understand what you mean because this country have been totally assimilated by the french culture and almost all the algerians now speak more french than arab, that's the reason why the last president decided to learn arabic language in primary school because its people had forgotten it !
Algeria is of course a bad example, but even if you take Tunisia or Marocco, it's the same, they don't use the same arab than the people who live on ME. It's not homogeneous, this is not something wich can be said for english, french or spanish.We agree, excepted for arabic language.
Um, excuse me! I absolutely am aware of the dialectal differences in Arabic. You do not need to be presuming what knowledge I do and do not have. Most Arabic learners study Modern Standard Arabic, or sometimes Egyptian Arabic (most of the Arabic-language movies and TV come from Egypt, so the dialect is familiar to other Arabs through media). And I don't know where you get your information, but Arabic is the primary language in Algeria. French is studied and spoken, but Arabic is spoken by over 80% of Algerians. Iranians do not speak Arabic at all, they speak Farsi which is an Indo-European language! The alphabet is the same but the languages are completely unrelated!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:27 PM

351 posts, read 1,874,403 times
You've been well advised above, but one thing to consider is that the language you learn will be most useful in the countries that speak it. You might want to stop and consider whether you really want to LIVE there. I studied Russian, and have spent the past 15 years living and working in/around the former Soviet Unions. I laugh at myself sometimes: who KNEW that would happen?

Population and politically-wise, Chinese (whatever dialiect), Arabic and Farsi would certainly put you in good stead: but again, consider the quality of life issue, and what your interests are.

As for Spanish, while there are parts of the world that speak it, there are larger parts of the world which don't.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snitins View Post
Please answer keeping in mind that this has to be answered thinking of Career and growth and global jobs.
spanish

here is how it works
top 10

1st language
chinese
2nd
hindi
3rd
english
4th
spanish
5th
portuguese

french is not even on the chart
top 10
english and spanish are very good choices

Old 11-09-2007, 10:57 PM

90 posts, read 347,333 times
Quote:
Please answer keeping in mind that this has to be answered thinking of Career and growth and global jobs.
It would definitly depend on the area one lives.I'm from a small town in Ky. There, it would help to learn spanish, since there are so many Mexican's living there. My family and friends tell me alot of the citizens have been learning spanish.
For the past two years, I have been living in Canada, since marrying a Canadian. There are many Chineese and French Canadian's living here. So I feel people should learn to speak French Canadian(very different from regular French), and also Chineese. I myself,have picked up alittle French Canadian, and Chineese. I find it interresting. Once I return home, I hope to start learning some Spanish also.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:53 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
Um, excuse me! I absolutely am aware of the dialectal differences in Arabic. You do not need to be presuming what knowledge I do and do not have.
Sorry about that, it's just an expression in my mother tongue !

Quote:
Most Arabic learners study Modern Standard Arabic,

I'm sorry I don't agree ! Most arabic learners ! But hell ! Have you already been there ? You talk here as if the arabic countries was as much as developped as us ! It's not the case , in the main part of the arabic world you lean Arab language in the streets !

Quote:
or sometimes Egyptian Arabic (most of the Arabic-language movies and TV come from Egypt,
BS ! ! ! What about Algeria ? Tunisia ! Both have got TV networks by far more developped than the egyptian one ! What about Al Jazeera ? Is it Egyptian ! Of course not ! and UAE is by far more developped than Egypt and again its TV Network is more important than the egyptian one !
Do you think you can learn gaellic just in watching the TV ? What about the french , the english ! Sure it helps, but it is not enough.

Quote:
so the dialect is familiar to other Arabs through media). And I don't know where you get your information, but Arabic is the primary language in Algeria.
I wonder where you read I said the contrary ! I said it has been very important for the algerian to brink back the arab language, which is not the standard arabic language. I said a former president brink back the arab language in the primary school. I guess it was because of the 150 years of the french occupation..... who knows.....

Quote:
French is studied and spoken, but Arabic is spoken by over 80% of Algerians. Iranians do not speak Arabic at all, they speak Farsi which is an Indo-European language!
I know, that's the reason why I put it, because all the arab don't speak arab, in fact it was my point. My point is the following, the arab is not spoken by all the arab country and when it is spoken the most of the time people speaks the language of the street, not the standard language. So, conclusion Iran which is the biggest arab state don't speak arab, the same for Turkey.In the Maghreb arab is not the same than the one of the Mechreb ! The arab which is spoken in the ME is not the same than the others ....

Well! Conclusion it is very usefull to learn Arab.... I have to say I'm really surprised !

Old 11-10-2007, 08:55 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
spanish

here is how it works
top 10

1st language
chinese
2nd
hindi
3rd
english
4th
spanish
5th
portuguese

french is not even on the chart
top 10
english and spanish are very good choices

lol

So according to your ranking , to make buisness it's better to learn Indy than english ! Better to learn portugese than german...

I think you didn't understand very well the issue....

Old 11-10-2007, 08:58 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
Quote:
spanish biggest bang for the buck

Old 11-10-2007, 04:07 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,671,723 times
I would say that in America knowing Spanish as a second language gives you an edge.
Either for jobs because of plants being in Mexico, and many of the CEOs don't know Spanish.....so you go along and head the conversation.
Or for teaching........they need Spanish teachers always, for as long as I remember.
It just is such a helpful language in our everyday and work environment.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:28 PM

469 posts, read 2,737,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
I know, that's the reason why I put it, because all the arab don't speak arab, in fact it was my point. My point is the following, the arab is not spoken by all the arab country and when it is spoken the most of the time people speaks the language of the street, not the standard language. So, conclusion Iran which is the biggest arab state don't speak arab, the same for Turkey.In the Maghreb arab is not the same than the one of the Mechreb ! The arab which is spoken in the ME is not the same than the others ....!

Iran isn't an Arab state at all! I am still left wondering where you are getting your information. Iran isn't an Arab state, and Turkey isn't an Arab state. Iranians are Persians, and speak an Indo-European language. Turks came from the steppes of Central Asia centuries ago, and speak an Altaic language. Neither is ethnically nor linguistically related to Arabs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World